another bike (Read 4 times)
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Re: another bike
Reply #15 - 02/01/05 at 01:22:42

There used to be a RD80LC over here, nice and light (185 lbs dry) and does 60mph, really good as long as you dont do motorways, ideal for commuter. I nearly got one as my first bike but the shop only had the 125 version.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Diane
2004 No Login

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Houston, TX
Reply #16 - 02/01/05 at 07:01:10

Forget the GZ250.  That's what I learned to ride on and I knew I would never buy one.  The center of gravity is higher making it feel heavier than the Savage, throttle response wasn't smooth and the shifter liked to hang up in neutral.

Gas $3.39 a gallon, map $5.95, getting lost on a scenic country road.......... priceless!
2003 Teal Green Savage
Houston, TX
WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #17 - 02/01/05 at 07:50:30

sunny wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
....but i know the 250 won't do highway....

Actually a 250 does highway just fine.  My second bike was a Yamaha Twinjet -- a 100cc twin.  Not watching where I was going I ended up on a freeway, laid down on the tank, and full throttle got up to 65mph.  My DT175 with the highway cog did 65 easy.  On my GS540E I backed off at 85, bike was quite willing to go faster.

If the object is to keep her down from highway speeds I would go with an 80-125cc bike.

But Diane has a good point.  The Savage is a good starter bike, as well as being big enough to continue on forever.  Have daughter sit on your Savage and, if she is comfortable on it, get her one also.  Will make maintainence much simplier.

WWW   IP Logged
Old Geezer

Reply #18 - 02/01/05 at 10:54:02

My advice.  Buy you a new Savage, give her yours, buy her some leather and introduce her to the world of cruisers.  With the Savage, she will be able to load up her gear (mostly dirty laundry) and come home on the weekends.

IP Logged
sunny
2004 No Login

rock this town

d/fw texas
Reply #19 - 02/01/05 at 11:14:47

actually what she is going to be doing is dual enrollment for her last year of high school. she will be a senior taking some college courses for credit.
so she'll still be at home.

and while i am letting her use whatever it is i buy, i will be the owner of it till she has her HS diploma. with diploma in hand i will sign over the bike to her.

it's just a deal i made with my kids.

flatblack rat - 97

sun_rat
sunny76059   IP Logged
sunny
2004 No Login

rock this town

d/fw texas
Reply #20 - 02/02/05 at 07:37:51

well, i printed out alot of pictures of the different scooters, mopeds and motorcycles that i could afford.

she wants a motorcycle.

flatblack rat - 97

sun_rat
sunny76059   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #21 - 02/02/05 at 10:58:49

Imagine that!

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #22 - 02/02/05 at 12:20:59

This is a good time to by a used Savage. You could even buy one elsewhere in the country and have it shipped if the price is right. If you see any in PA that you want checked out, I'd do it for you in a heartbeat. Good luck!

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
savagethumper
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 02/03/05 at 18:19:18

You're a brave person, Sunny.  I remember how inattentive I was till I was way out of college.  If she tunes everyone out for a second, she'll be roadkill around all those idiot college kid drivers.  The worst driving I've ever seen is always in college towns.  Buy her a tank of a car, and let her take your bike out on weekends, so it's something special, instead of the daily routine.  Plus, isn't the helmet gonna mess up her hair???

IP Logged
sunny
2004 No Login

rock this town

d/fw texas
Reply #24 - 02/04/05 at 07:27:00

luckily for me, she isn't a girly girl...

flatblack rat - 97

sun_rat
sunny76059   IP Logged
savagethumper
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 02/04/05 at 18:59:47

I know it was mentioned earlier, but Ninja 250's are generally inexpensive, and easy to maintain.  They look just like the big boys, but not nearly as powerful, and a lot lees to insure.One of my friends recently sold a year old model with lees than 2000 miles for $1900.  They're dime a dozen.  A 250 Nighthawk is an excellent choice, too.  I've ridden both, and they are a blast if you don't have to get on the highway.  They get blown around like they were toys when you get up next to the big rigs.  A Ninja 250 would be fun as hell on that Hwy 917 you ride on.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #26 - 02/07/05 at 05:21:27

First thing to do is to get her into an MSF course.  That will decide what she drives to school.  

After all, partying is a part of college life that can't be ignored too easily....whether a car or bike, she will party anyway if she wants to.

IP Logged
Red_Wine

Chain-drive, 400cc
Black Savage in
Chile

Santiago, Chile
Reply #27 - 02/07/05 at 07:16:02

Any pictures of that not-so-girly girl that will join the motorcycle world and get spoiled in the process?
Just make sure she learns to ride safely and proudly... once a biker, a biker for ever.... she's been warned....
KTRSD,

RW

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #28 - 02/07/05 at 12:51:46

We still need pictures of a chain drive Savage 400.  Pictures of yourself would also be appreciated.  I've already extended the Map to cover South America.

WWW   IP Logged
jbird
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 02/08/05 at 03:38:25

ive a 91 pontac foe sale no back seat  limit #of passengers took it out to haul fire wood 240000 miles sale real cheap new tires mud grips all  around max speed 60 mph

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 04:14:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › another bike

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.