Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Clutch Preferances (Read 5 times)
groove
Ex Member

Clutch Preferances
01/30/05 at 16:10:17

Good day all, newbie here.

Finally purchased my newest addition to the garage, a 1986 Black Savage.  Needs a little work, but it was bought as a project bike. Will post a few before and after pics as I get comfortable around here.
So, it needs a clutch. Slips pretty well, and I have checked cable adjustment and changed the oil just to make sure no-one threw a quart of Slick 50 in there ( Ive seen this before!). Any suggestions as to what brand name works better / worse than the others, or are the OEM parts the way to go?  Thanks!

IP Logged
Gargoyle
Ex Member

Re: Clutch Preferances
Reply #1 - 01/30/05 at 17:33:02

A few months ago I replaced my clutch plates and springs. As for as I know either EBC or Suzuki are the only choices. I used EBC because they were much less expensive.

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #2 - 01/30/05 at 19:03:36

I have used Barnett clutch plates in other applications. Top quality stuff. Look them up and see if they have savage plates/springs.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #3 - 01/30/05 at 22:51:43

Three early model LS650 passed thru my hands and all 3 of them needed new clutch plates. In all 3 cases I used EBC- no problem.
Whatever You do- do not use an used clutch plates from somebody else's bike.You will pay 10-15 bucks for the plates, $ 7-10 for shipping, You will wait for 5 days for the auction to end, 5-7 more days for the shipping, You will replace the gasket $13 and 90% sure You will end up with the same problem if not immidiately, may be after 1 season. Who is parting out a nice engine- it is sold like a running engine. Isn't it better to pay on the spot $35-37 for a new plates and know everything is done once and is done right. Your time and effords are worthed something too.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #4 - 01/31/05 at 06:25:22

I forget where it was, but I was looking for parts and ran across a listing for Suzuki street bike clutch stuff. The same clutch spring part no. was used on many larger Suzukis, i.e. 1983 750ES/ESD. No prob finding them.

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #5 - 01/31/05 at 06:41:16

Hey Groove,   Welcome to the forum.  You may have already noticed t's a great source of help and info.

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
groove
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/02/05 at 18:35:21

Thanks for the info. I was able to get my hands on some EBC's locally. This whole site is a great source of info! Cheers

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #7 - 02/03/05 at 06:51:41

Welcome groove! Have fun with your project bike! Let us know how it goes.

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 08:40:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clutch Preferances

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!