LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
DAKAR RALLY...THUMPERS
01/30/05 at 09:10:08

While working hard to watch the marathon showing of the 2005 DAKAR RALLY on TV yesterday (unfortunately I missed the last part due to weather) I could not help but notice that the motorcycle group was made up of mostly big single cylinder bikes.....especially the KTM 660.  The KTM factory, and select distributors, are in this thing BIG TIME.  I hope some of you were able to watch at least some of the race because it  was a blast.  A few folks were hurt unfortunately, but aside from that it was a great time.  If I were in my 20's again I would do whatever it took to try for a ride in that race.  Now that would be an adventure you would never forget.

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Re: DAKAR RALLY...THUMPERS
Reply #1 - 01/30/05 at 10:01:43

Paris-Dakkar is a little bit too far and too pricey, but Baja is right here and You have a choice of Baja 200, Baja 500, and Baja 1000.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 01/31/05 at 07:01:17

PRICEY?  No doubt.

TOO FAR?  For sure.

But it is a lot of fun to watch on TV.  The bikers who are participating in the race are extraordinary athletes...wrestling the bikes through powder-like sand at one point and then screaming across hard surface, rocky flats at high speed...and occasionally going airborn...inverted...it is quite an ordeal.

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #3 - 01/31/05 at 09:20:23

Here is a short clip from Canadian Bob Bergman's diary, a priveteer who finished this years' Dakar with no support crew.

I rode for a while with a French man, Etienne, whose battery was dead and needed a jump-start anytime he stalled it. He was very grateful that I would stop to jump him when he needed it and he immediately started to call me “Bobbie’ even thou my bike and helmet said ”Bob”. We too, were eventually separated and I soon met up and rode with Simon Pavey, a Brit on a BMW 650. It wasn’t long before I lost him as well, I was cresting a dune and when I saw what looked to be an easier way across it, this turned out to be a trap and I fell into a 50 foot hole of fine dust. That was it, no one knew I was here and I would never get out by myself and now my bike wouldn’t start.

I got out my headlamp and wandered around. I discovered that I wasn’t completely at the bottom of the hole but still on the side, so if I could get the bike to start, I could point it down hill and build some momentum, to try and get out.
It turned out that sand had gotten in the starter button and it wasn’t making contact, this was soon fixed and I dragged the bike around so it pointed down hill. I fired it up, and revved it, to blow out all of the sand that had fill up the exhaust pipes. I stuck it in gear and built up some speed by riding around the sides of the hole, like I was being flushed down the toilet, then I popped out the other side to freedom.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:19:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › DAKAR RALLY...THUMPERS