Stuff on ebay (Read 7 times)
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Stuff on ebay
01/19/05 at 19:18:18

Hello, new member here. I have come over from Bert's site. It has been down for eight days now so I am getting a bit cranky/lonesome. What about Ebay, hasn't it become a godsend. I needed a cylinder head for a 1968 Montgomery Ward Riverside Mojave 260. Got one. Man, I can remember crawling around swap meets and often coming home with nothing, even for Triumph parts. I have been looking at all the leather saddlebags currently on ebay. I have to say the prices are cheap for brand new bags. You only have to pay $30 to $50 for what looks like very nice sturdy bags, some which do not require a support bracket. They come in a myriad of sizes too. I'm thinking of bidding on a large set 15'' long, 12'' high and 6'' deep. Has anyone run into trouble mounting too large a set? Has anyone bought a set in this price range that can comment on the quality of leather and fit and stitching?

Bentwheel

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Re: Stuff on ebay
Reply #1 - 01/19/05 at 19:46:09

welcome,

it is a bummer that berts is down.  a few us have migrated over.  i've been doing both for a while now.
btw who were you over there. i dont recall a bentwheel.

and i hope that bentwheel is something that has happened to you.

sluggo

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #2 - 01/19/05 at 20:51:42

I was bentwheel on the other site as well.
As far as my ID I wore that nickname in the 70's for a few months following an ice racing wipeout It's a long story, I'll have to tell it sometime.

bentwheel

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #3 - 01/20/05 at 03:02:57

@bentwheel
Please update your profile, gender,age and location is the least.
While you're at it post a picture so paladin can put you on the map.

greetz
Kropatchek

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #4 - 01/20/05 at 05:46:34

Welcome bentwheel! Would love to hear the story behind your ID sometime...

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #5 - 01/23/05 at 10:26:23

Susan, the  bentwheel moniker was unceremoniously  bestowed upon me in 1975. It only lasted a few months but I have chosen to resurrect it as an ID decades later.
Going back in time to 1975 I was racing motocross on the newly introduced Suzuki RM. It was fall and the end of the racing season, but I was out at our clubs track practicing, trying to improve my lap time. Coming off a jump I thought times would improve if I could get on the gas quicker when landing. I held the throttle partly open when landing and the bike wheelied  away from me careening off track hitting hard. I bent the front wheel both vertically as well as horizontally. Now the sad part of this is I had the bike pre sold prior to the end of the season. Technology leaps, back then, dictated you race on current year bikes or else you were not competitive. It’s probably still that way I reckon. Now the new buyer still wanted the bike (at a reduced price of course) but his father was not going to pay for it until spring. Since that was the case, then I was going to ice race the RM in the winter. There wasn’t much I could do to repair the bent rim so I studded the tires and headed to our practice track when the ice formed. I knew I wasn’t going to be competitive but ice racing is just so much darn fun I wanted to be out there. The front wheel wobbled badly but with enough practice I adapted to the darn thing. I discovered if I stayed high and squared off the corners it worked best.
The ice racing season was mostly done at a club level between two other cities about 75 miles apart forming a triangle. Each club had about five to fifteen members competing on the ice circuit. We were racing out of town and in my class there were four riders from my club in the mix of about ten riders.
I remember my buddies condemning me for racing with the bent wheel but I assured them I had adapted and it really wasn’t a problem. Entering the first corner of the first race of the season I carried more speed than I had been practicing at, plus had to dive into the corner on the inside since the preferred line was crowded and I went down hard hitting other riders at the turn’s apex. Picking up my bike I looked around and saw the riders who were down were all from my club. One of my buddies yelled “way to go bentwheel”.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #6 - 01/23/05 at 11:39:25

Speaking of stuff on eBay,  I bought a pair of these from this dealer last year.

Nice stuff, shiny.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=35587&item=...

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #7 - 01/23/05 at 19:30:26

Hey bentwheel, That's a great story! Thanks for sharing it with us. Susan

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #8 - 01/26/05 at 10:13:35

To get back to my query, has anyone bought a set of $30-$50 saddlebags from ebay that can comment on their quality?

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
nicolas popper

Reply #9 - 01/26/05 at 15:18:00

BW,

Just bought a set of large willie & max synthetic leather mags with tassels and conchos for $42.00 on ebay.  Well satisfied.

Nic

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 00:26:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stuff on ebay

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.