Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Newbie buying a 90´has been standin 5years (Read 4 times)
anfrewo
Ex Member

Newbie buying a 90´has been standin 5years
01/19/05 at 06:49:08

Hi everbody!
I'm thinking about buying(importing) a german LS650 from 1990.
It has been standing for 5 years.
Should there be any problems, any tips?
I know from another thread that I will have to change the oil and check the pettithingy  Lips Sealed before trying to start it up.
This bike will be for my girlfriend ~5.8 tall, will she be comfortable riding it?
/Tony
Riding a 1500Vulcan

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Re: Newbie buying a 90´has been standin 5years
Reply #1 - 01/19/05 at 08:14:26

You are probably looking at a good project.
1. The gas in Europe is way better , but 5 years might be too much even for the "good gas". Pull the gas tank and drain all the fuel.There might be  water and rust on the bottom.
2. Clean the carburetor.
3. Get a good quality new battery- there is a discution about the batteries in this forum.
4.While the tank and the carb. are off the bike check the el. connectors and spray a little WD-40 in each one of them.
5. Lube the cables.
6.Now will be the moment to check and adjust the valves.
7.Again now You will see do You have the tipical "plug leak".  If You have even a sweat around the head cover-or around the head gasket - don't hesitate-fix it. If You don't - You will have to deal with it in the future.
8.Do all the modifications, suggested in this forum and in Bert's web page  /  exhaust, main jet, needle spacer/.
9.Put back together and start the bike.
10.Put some money to the side for tires and fork seals/You can expect "hop"in the tires, because of the sitting and usually the fork seals will start leaking after not too long/.
 Keep reading the Suzuki forums and keep posting messages  if You have any questions.
Be welcome in the Thumper family

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #2 - 01/19/05 at 11:48:56

I'm 5'8" and the Savage fits me *perfect*.   At 352 pounds it is over 300 pounds lighter than your Vulcan.  It is a lightweight motorcycle with the flickable agility that comes from having low mass.  But it has that thumping 650 heart that will allow it to run with the 'big boys.'

Some people complain about the vibration from a Thumper -- but the Savage engine has been counterbalanced to where the vibrations are no where near what you would expect (or in my case desired.)

The Savage is in a low tune, runs quite well on regular gas, very strong torque.

Whether or not a bike, any bike, is "comfortable" depends on what you are looking for.   I rode a 175cc enduro on/off road from '74 thru '86.  I was used to and was looking for lightweight, thin, lean and mean.   I see the hawg riders with their legs stretched sideways.   I can sit on the Savage with less than 18 inches between the outsides of my knees.  Stopped I can place both feet on the ground with less than 12 inches between my bootheels.  You do not so much ride the Savage as you meld/merge and become one.

WWW   IP Logged
anfrewo
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/19/05 at 12:30:49

I'm sure the Savage is a great bike.
What I meant by comfortable is if she was to tall to ride it without moving the controls.
The only Suzuki experience I've had is my ma's intruder 1400, I'm to tall for that one but I'm about 6.2.
With the high torque and easy handling it seems as a perfect beginners bike(and girlie bike, since it dont need so much muscle).
Seems better than the virago535, I've tried that one but it needed a lot of shifting and throttle, more like a sportbike than a custom.
I love the sound of the Savage, best sound I've heard from such a small engine so I'm sure it won´t be ashamed with the 14-15 and 1600's in my family.

How often do I need to change the belt?
Here in Europe at least there are two different Savage's one with 27hp and another with 31hp(due to taxes and regulations??).
Anyone who can tell me the difference between the two(throttle limiter??) and of course how to make a 27hp bike 31hp  Wink
Is there any "fixit" pages about fixing the s k "plug leak".
What is the url to "Bert's page", can't find it among the links?
There's no risk the piston will be stuck after so many years?
Anything else I need to worry about?
In such a simple construction it shouldn't be to many things that can go wrong, or am I wrong?? Roll Eyes

Thanks for the answers, I'll keep posting to let you know how everythings going, if I don't buy this one it will be another Savage..
/Tony, Sweden

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #4 - 01/19/05 at 13:50:28

anfrewo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
With the high torque and easy handling it seems as a perfect beginners bike(and girlie bike, since it dont need so much muscle).

THEM BE FIGHTING WORDS AROUND HERE  Grin

there are some women who ride savages,  and the motorcycle also. but by no means is it a "girlie bike".

check out the photos in the concept s/40 thread, then maybe rethink that statement. that or go out and put a few miles on it. you will change your mind.

ah  just busting you chops here. i've ridden big singles all my life and hear the "it;s a starter/girls bike" all the time by people who have never rode one. the dealer even said the same thing, that is until they rode it after it arrived.

what will really surprise you is that the big single garners all the attention at fuel stops because it's so different.  

on getting it going it should be a simple matter.
enjoy the thumper

sluggo

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
marke2571
2004 No Login

Free Spec Ops
Cody!!!!

Georgia
Reply #5 - 01/19/05 at 14:23:02

I love my "girlie bike". Wink  So do these guys. Check out all of the cool mods. This link is to a friend's site that I really respect and has inspired me to mod my savage.

Here's his link, and once there check out the photos section.
http://www.jonline.org/savage

Here's mine (I've been waiting to post it, it is very similar to Jon's but not exactly. I give him all credit for the inspiration, and I shamelessly stole the pattern because it is so cool, and with Jon's blessing)

Warning about my link --the pictures are BIG so if you have dial up -- you have been warned. I will lower the size in the future (when I have some free time).

Make sure you scroll down to see'em all
My bike

'02 Silver Savage
Macon, Ga.
  IP Logged
Nightrain
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 01/19/05 at 14:36:47

Hey Marke, Nice tank! How did you get those hideous savage stickers off. Did you have to break the clear or did you re-spray it? I couldnt tell it in the photos.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 01/19/05 at 20:03:25

GIRLIE BIKE???!!!  You are obviously TOO YOUNG  and /or  INEXPERIENCED  to know what a real 4-STROKE SINGLE is all about.  The Savage, in stock form, is down on power to be  sure...but with the proper application of selected parts and the  RIGHT TOUCH...it can be made to breath fire with some of the best.

Remember, your 1500 may make more power, but it is also at least 300 lbs heavier.  PERFORMANCE IS ALL ABOUT POWER-TO-WEIGHT RATIO.  I would be willing to bet that my Savage will match your 1500 up to the last 10-15  mph.  
If you are ever in South Carolina give me a call and we can go for a ride.

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #8 - 01/20/05 at 03:15:34

Coming back to the subject: Shocked
The belt ( with proper care) will last 40k Km at least.

To check if the piston is not stuck you can remove the plug on the generator cover and with a 17mm socket turning anti-clockwise ( that's the normal sense of rotation) of course after removing the sparkplug.

Greetz
Kropatchek

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
marke2571
2004 No Login

Free Spec Ops
Cody!!!!

Georgia
Reply #9 - 01/20/05 at 06:21:52

Thanks Nightrain. I bought a tank off of Ebay that had no stickers on it and just happened to be the same color as mine. I read some horror stories about taking off stickers from under the clearcoat, so I waited until I found a tank for cheap. And just in case anybody gets confused. I do NOT think the Savage is a girlie bike. My bike kicks A$$ and it has got me a date with quite a few girls. So, like my quote says "I love my bike".

'02 Silver Savage
Macon, Ga.
  IP Logged
anfrewo
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 01/20/05 at 07:49:11

Shocked
Seems my girlie bike line was misunderstood completely.
It IS lightweight and easy ridden I'm sure.
What I meant is that it IS a perfect bike for a beginner and a girl but I never said other people couldn't ride it as well. Angry
Take it easy people, I didn't mean to offend anyone so I don't like being offended!
I never spoke about performance, if I wanted performance in a bike I wouldn't ride a custom at all.
I want a lot of torque a good sound and good comfort.
My bike gives me all of that and I like it that way.
I'm not saying my bike is better than a Savage, it just fits me as any bike should(better for me but not necessarily for you..).
I'm hoping the Savage will fit my girlfriend and be the best bike for her, maybe for a couple of years maybe for the rest of her life.
I'm experienced enough not to offend anyone just because they don't like my bike.
Enought silly misunderstandings now.

Back to facts.
Thanks to Kropatchek and marke2571 who sticked to the subject, then I dont need to worry about the belt.
Nice bike Jon's though a little bit too styled for me.

I _will_ ride it as soon as it's bought you can be sure!
One of the reasons for choosing the Savage for my girlfriend IS that it seems to be not just a beginners bike that needs to be changed just as you have learned to drive, but a bike that can be kept and enjoyed for a long time.

/Tony, Sweden

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #11 - 01/20/05 at 10:02:45

anfrewo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Shocked
Seems my girlie bike line was misunderstood completely...Take it easy people...

Hey Tony, Don't sweat it. We just all love our Savages so much, we tend to see red when it seems like someone doesn't understand how great they are! I bet your girlfriend will love the Savage.

Welcome to the Forum!  Smiley

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
marke2571
2004 No Login

Free Spec Ops
Cody!!!!

Georgia
Reply #12 - 01/20/05 at 10:46:22

No problem. Hope your girlfriend likes the Savage, and I should have said welcome too. So, welcome friend.

--Mark

'02 Silver Savage
Macon, Ga.
  IP Logged
savagegirlbiker
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 01/20/05 at 12:31:35

I'm a girl 5'8", 125 lbs. who just got her motorcycle license in October - bought a Savage in November - and put 200 miles on it before the snow and salt hit the road.

I think the Savage was the perfect bike for me to start on.  The only riding I did before the Savage was during the motorcycle safety class I took (about 5 hours riding around a parking lot).  I feel totally comfortable and in control on the Savage.  

Just thought I would put in my 2 cents.  Also I consider it to be a girl bike since it's all mine.

Good luck and welcome to the Savage world.

Kim

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #14 - 01/20/05 at 12:47:41

The bike has a shorter and lower frame than just about anything you can buy that's not a scooter.

That makes it appeal to folks of smaller stature or with shorter leg length.  A lot of ladies are smaller than the typical man.  So the Savage fits them well.  That's the only thing girly about it.

Funny how the mags P&M about how low the Savage's seat is, when that's the goal aready for most modded cruisers.  

So is factory low bad, while custom low is good?

Also the engine is a smaller engine for nowadays.  In the late 70's I thought anything bigger than 500cc was overdoing it.  Now there's 2000cc!  

For a thumper, of any period, 650cc is ONE BIG HONKER.

When the Yamaha SR500 was introduced, there was a big hub-bub about how big it was.

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 02:34:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Newbie buying a 90´has been standin 5years

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.