Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Head removal (Read 12 times)
slavy

Head removal
01/12/05 at 21:49:24

How many of You have removed the engine head  with the engine in the frame?  The Suzuki manual states You can do it and somebody wrote that Clymer states You can't.

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Re: Head removal
Reply #1 - 01/13/05 at 12:16:58

that has been a topic of disscussion here,  some think yo can others think you cant.  my question is   why would you want to do a head job with engine in frame.
it's not that big a deal to remove engine set it on bench in the shop or kitchen table. and have lots of room to work. just my opinion, and it's like an armpit, we all got em, they all stink.  Shocked

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Honda_fan
2004 No Login

Go Ride!

Antioch, IL
Reply #2 - 01/13/05 at 17:21:31

sluggo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
that has been a topic of disscussion here,  some think yo can others think you cant.  my question is   why would you want to do a head job with engine in frame.
it's not that big a deal to remove engine set it on bench in the shop or kitchen table. and have lots of room to work. just my opinion, and it's like an armpit, we all got em, they all stink.  Shocked

Have to agree with Sluggo. While it may be possible, the engine is would be sooo much easier to service out of the frame. It was bad enough setting the valves in the frame. My fingers just aren't skinny enough.

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #3 - 01/13/05 at 22:47:32

Three thumpers passed thru my hands. All 3 of them had an oil leak and all 3 of them had bad threads in the cylinder, so it wasn't the milage and the wear, but just going after somebodyand fixing his skillfull work. It just seemed easier to pull only the head.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #4 - 01/13/05 at 23:21:42

slavy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Three thumpers passed thru my hands. All 3 of them had an oil leak and all 3 of them had bad threads in the cylinder, so it wasn't the milage and the wear, but just going after somebodyand fixing his skillfull work. It just seemed easier to pull only the head.

humans like water and electricity, take the path of least resistance.  Wink

the thumpers were they all savages?  Sad

if so it might be is this something that should be looked into.

slavy i see you've made your way over here.  
welcome  Grin

we've got a nice map of who's where, and what their thumpers look like. feel free to contribute.

sluggo

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 01/15/05 at 08:39:34

You can remove the head while the engine is in the frame.

What you see here is pretty much the minimum amount of disassembly that is needed to remove the head.  You get a little bit of extra clearance by removing the front lower engine mount bolt so the engine drops forward a bit.

Versus removing the engine, you have to remember the electrical stuff.  In doing that you have 2 choices, removing the stator (and buying a new gasket), or trying to fish the electrical harness out from between the battery box and the airbox (where it is conveniently stashed on a stock bike).

In either case, you still have to do all that you see here, so I think that doing it in the frame is the easiest way.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 01/15/05 at 08:41:10

Beside....torquing the head bolts is much easier when the engine is stationary in the frame

8)

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #7 - 01/17/05 at 07:32:35

And here is a trick:
Once You have the head out You can pull the studs out /not easy/  and cut slots for screw driver in the upper end with a hack saw . Put some anty-seize on the threads, that go in the case and after You have installed the head, just slide the studs thru the holes and screw them down. Now every time You have to remove the head and the cylinder, You pull the studs first and You breeze thru the procedure. I learned this working on my Yamaha Special, but it will work on all the bikes  with a tall engine and not enough space between the frame and the head.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 01/20/05 at 16:21:47

slavy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
And here is a trick:
Once You have the head out You can pull the studs out /not easy/  and cut slots for screw driver in the upper end with a hack saw . Put some anty-seize on the threads, that go in the case and after You have installed the head, just slide the studs thru the holes and screw them down. Now every time You have to remove the head and the cylinder, You pull the studs first and You breeze thru the procedure. I learned this working on my Yamaha Special, but it will work on all the bikes  with a tall engine and not enough space between the frame and the head.

That's a cool idea.  Have to jam 2 nuts on the stud to remove them, right?

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #9 - 01/20/05 at 22:13:26

Couple of different ways:
1. Special tool-I think the name is "stud extractor"- usuzlly the tool trucks like Snap-on carry it.
2.The old -timers way-2 nuts
3.The ugliest way, that allways works- big set of american made Vise-grips.
   Sometimes it is a big hassle to pull the studs out  for the first time, but if You intend to keep the bike it is well worthed.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 01/21/05 at 11:49:28

I imagine that the studs are installed with a Loc-Tite type material too.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 03:23:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Head removal

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.