Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Savage has sat for 7 years (Read 10 times)
duffinator
Ex Member

Savage has sat for 7 years
01/11/05 at 20:19:18

I would like to get my dads Savage started that sat for 7 years. I put new fuel in it and checked for a spark.  I drained the carb.  I am getting a spark and the throttle losened up.  still will not start any suggestions?  All the lights work etc....

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Re: Savage has sat for 7 years
Reply #1 - 01/11/05 at 20:52:07

its a carb issue, others will be able to give you more details on what you should do. but it shouldn't be to big a deal...  

enjoy,
and welcome to our "savage family"

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #2 - 01/11/05 at 21:14:24

The Savage has a liitle bit different setup on what we around here fondly like to call the "petcock."

Most bikes have on and off positions on their petcock as well as as a reserve position.

The Savage (and this may be a Suzuki product line thing I don't know) has a different setup...

The petcock on the Savage has three settings, Reserve, On and Prime.  There is a diaphragm in the petcock that opens the flow of the gas when the carburetor draws vacuum.  Therefore the chore of turning the petcock off is done for you by the carb.  When you start the bike in a normal interval between rides, there is still enough residual gasoline in the carb to get the bike started.  Once started, vacuum pulls on the diapragm and opens the flow of gasoline.

After  the gasoline has evaporated from the carb, say after a few weeks, or a winter, or SEVERAL YEARS, you set the petcock on prime in order to provide an unimpeded flow of gasoline into the carb.  Once started, you need to change the setting on the petcock back to on, so that the gas not will flood the carb and spill onto the bike, or into the cylinder or crankcase.

If you can get the bike started on prime but it will not stay on when the petcock is on, you need to examine the small hose that goes from the carb to the petcock.  If it is cracked it needs replaced. If the problem persists, then to may need to replace the diaphragm in the petcock.

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
sunny
2004 No Login

rock this town

d/fw texas
Reply #3 - 01/12/05 at 09:35:12

i also advise that after such a lngthy sit, the diaphragm within the pet c o c k  may be damaged. mine had sat an unknown number of years and the petc o c k had to be replaced because it would flood at higher speeds(that was a tricky thing to track down, btw).
it is not an expensive part, less than 70 bucks.

also, you MUST change the oil and oil fillter before trying to run it.

had a car that had sat for five years. the guys cranked it up and ran it. the oil was muck and it warped the head.

flatblack rat - 97

sun_rat
sunny76059   IP Logged
Nightrain
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 01/12/05 at 10:42:09

The more I hear about the suzuki petcock, the more trouble it sounds. Has anyone replaced this weirdo petcock with a standard petcock?

IP Logged
sunny
2004 No Login

rock this town

d/fw texas
Reply #5 - 01/12/05 at 13:59:49

actually i have had no further trouble with the standard petc0ck.
you just have to realize that rubber and plastic parts will deteriorate with time. there fore the rubber diaphragm within the petc0ck will need to be replaced eventually.

flatblack rat - 97

sun_rat
sunny76059   IP Logged
Patty
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 01/12/05 at 19:29:06

Grin...I can't believe it...I tried typing the name for the stupid thing and the website changed it to "petthingy". This is so lame. Pet c o c k is the name of the stupid thing. We are so afraid of offending somebody we have to resort to this s..t. I'd type out s..t but the website would probably change it to "poopy"...LMAO...oops...can't type that...have to change it to LMBO...Laugh MY Buns Off....sheesh!!!!

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 01/12/05 at 19:58:27

There are worse.  It changes B I T C H to pregnant dog instead of simply a female dog.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #8 - 01/14/05 at 09:03:31

This is built into YaBB.  Don't shoot the piano player.

It's no big thing. Just a silly filter, somewhat poorly executed on a freeware forum program.  Have fun with it.

Besides, everybody pets their thingy now and then...  Grin

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #9 - 01/14/05 at 10:40:13

It's mine and I can wash it as fast as I like!

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 01/16/05 at 06:33:07

Nightrain wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
The more I hear about the suzuki petcock, the more trouble it sounds. Has anyone replaced this weirdo petcock with a standard petcock?

Actually the petc0ck works very well at what it does.  It may sound confusing, but once understood it works just fine.  I think that most people find it confusing because they don't have the MOM which explains it.

If you've ever had a bike leak all it's gas on the ground, you'll appreciate the vacuum operated petc0ck.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 01/16/05 at 06:48:23

duffinator wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
I would like to get my dads Savage started that sat for 7 years. I put new fuel in it and checked for a spark.  I drained the carb.  I am getting a spark and the throttle losened up.  still will not start any suggestions?  All the lights work etc....

As Sluggo said, it is probably a carb issue.  There are a couple little tricks to find if it is gas related, but make sure that you have a good spark on the plug by charging the battery too.  Especially since the lights are on during starting.

If it is getting gas by not starting, you'll likely smell gas in the tailpipe after you try to start it.  The plug will be wet too.

If you aren't getting gas you can sometimes squirt a small amount in the carb.  If it fires and dies then it is a carb problem.

Does the slide inside the carb still move freely?  Just because the throttle is free doesn't mean the slide will move....since they aren't physically connected.  The throttle just opens the throttle valve (butterfly).

Check for cracks in the rubber on the engine side of the carb too.  Small air leaks can be a PITA.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 01:26:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage has sat for 7 years

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.