Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Battery: Maintenance Free vs The Stock YuMicron (Read 11 times)
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: Battery: Maintenance Free vs The Stock YuMicro
Reply #15 - 01/16/05 at 19:02:10

Chench53 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
  • stick with the same YUASA YuMicron Battery Type YB14L-B2 which requires checking the water level (and which you all know is a pain in the patootie!), or
  • get the High Performance, Maintenance Free Battery YTX14AHL-BS which is sealed and requires less care.
I'm thinking of going to the maintenance free battery, and wondered if anyone already has, or is also thinking of the same.

My bike is hard starting -- I figured out it's 'cause the battery is near dead.  The previous owner had let the water get low over the four years/5000 miles.  First start in the morning sometimes needs a little boost.

This thread got my thinking and checking -- Pep Boys has a conventional battery for about $35, Kragen had a "maintainence free" (under normal conditions) but not actually sealed for $50.  BikeBandit.com has the YTX14AHL-BS for $55 plus $6 shipping.  I'll get it next week.  This week I'm working on my video projector.

WWW   IP Logged
Chench53
2004 No Login

"Special
Ed" rocks!

Suffolk VA, formerly NYC NY
Reply #16 - 01/16/05 at 19:35:41

Wow, lots of good info. Ii did get the The YUASA High Performance, Maintenance Free battery for the Savage which is the YTX14AHL-BS as Paladin noted.

My bike started up fast, even in the cold - it was 31 degrees. Started up like it hasn't done in a long time!! SmileyAnd I got in my first ride of 2005, a nice 34 mile ride up and down the expressway.

I am quite satisfied. Thanks all for your comments.

Gerry

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #17 - 01/17/05 at 06:30:31

When I first got my 98 last July, I was going over all the basic maintenance stuff and pulled the battery to check the levels and found it to be some off-brand maintenance-free battery.  I figured I'd just leave well enough alone and it's always worked fine... except that one time I accidentally left the ignition in the accessory position and ran it down with the tail light.  A trickle charge fixed it up and no other problems since.  It's the only thing I've found that wasn't stock on the bike.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #18 - 01/17/05 at 09:43:37

The stock battery on KLX is 8 Amp hrs (120c.c.a.'s), I have found an alternative which is 5mm taller but is 11.2 Amp hrs (230c.c.a,'s)is this the way to go? What is the std. rating of the LS battery?

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #19 - 01/17/05 at 13:37:38

Standard battery is the Yuasa YB14L-B2: 12 volts, 14 amp-hours,  190-200 CCA (from graph),  5 5/16" x 3 1/2" x 6 9/16".

p.s. - Overkill is always acceptable.  I would have been quite happy on a 250 for running around the city.  But when I saw the Savage was only 50 pounds heavier I had to have it.

WWW   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #20 - 01/17/05 at 15:37:13

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
p.s. - Overkill is always acceptable.  I would have been quite happy on a 250 for running around the city.  But when I saw the Savage was only 50 pounds heavier I had to have it.

so for just 50 lbs you met all of us.. yipee
glad you went for the extra 50lbs.   Grin

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #21 - 01/18/05 at 07:57:12

Yep, an extra 50 lbs...there is always just more to love.
Ya know gang....we are just a bunch of freakin nuts.....or maybe that is just the color of the shade I see through...oh well, what ever the view is, I intend to enjoy the ride until the end.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #22 - 01/18/05 at 21:39:10

I came from the dirt -- rode a DT175 for a dozen years.  Had two countershaft sprockets, with more and less teeth than stock -- the dirt sprocket gave a top end of about 45mph but would walk over anything; while the street sprocket gave a 65mph top end, which is barely adequate for the streets of LA.

Got married, sold the bikes.  About 18 years later, car is dying, gas prices are ridiculous, wife asks, "have you considered a bike?"  No plan to dirt ride anymore, so I went looking for a lightwight city bike.  For L.A. that means a 250.  The contenders were the Yamaha V-twin, the Honda parallel twin, and the Suzuki single.  The first two had parts that poked my legs (given I was used to a skinny dirt single) but the Suzuki GZ250 fit me nice.  At 302 pound not too heavy.

Then I noticed the Savage -- only 50 pounds heavier but a Thump'n 652cc to give me a safety margin for the L.A. streets.   Found one for sale in Long Beach, sat on it, and knew that it was my ride.

WWW   IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #23 - 01/19/05 at 01:44:37

When I was checking to see if a 5mm taller battery would fit KLX I moved the +ve lead to the solenoid only to see that it was corroded half way through.
With a new bigger battery and new leads starting should be transformed.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #24 - 01/19/05 at 01:54:37

I have found battery leads (mail order) rated at 110amps and 135amps, does anybody know if these are too big, too small or ok?

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 21:25:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Battery: Maintenance Free vs The Stock YuMicron

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.