Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
gas tank sticker (Read 18 times)
Nightrain
Ex Member

gas tank sticker
01/11/05 at 14:11:02

How bad of a mess will it make if I peel off the tank sticker that Suzuki so un-intelligently placed under the clearcoat?

Wink
Thanks
Mike

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Re: gas tank sticker
Reply #1 - 01/11/05 at 14:18:07

i did mine it left an outline in the clear coat, not a big deal as i'm sending out to the paint shop.

here's the best way to do it  

drain fuel, remove tank, set tank on table, get wifes blowdryer, heat sticker use fingernail to get started keep heating slowly and remove gently will take a little while.

if you dont drain tank the fuel inside will keep the tank cool not allowing enough heat to peel of sticker,  then get some clearcoat and fill in sticker area.  

simple

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Nightrain
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/11/05 at 14:26:16

Doesn't sound too bad, but I don't really want to re-paint the tank. I guess I could get a larger sitcker of choice and Try to cover it. I am pretty sure that I am not going to be able to live with it. How much is the shop going to charge you for a reapray?

Much thanks for the expeditious reply.
M.C

IP Logged
Old Geezer

Reply #3 - 01/11/05 at 14:44:17

The sticker on my wife's savage was over the clear coat.  I peeled off what I could then loosened and removed the rest of the residue with WD-40 and a very soft rag.  A coat of wax after that and you could not tell it was ever there.

IP Logged
Nightrain
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 01/11/05 at 15:08:14

What year is her bike. It may be cheaper to buy a tank off of Ebay if I can get one with the sticker on top of the clear.

IP Logged
Old Geezer

Reply #5 - 01/11/05 at 16:48:25

It was an '03.

IP Logged
Nightrain
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 01/11/05 at 16:55:54

03?? I thought you were going to say 86 or something older. I guess it took Suzuki two years to smarten up and figure that the consumer might want to remove their fugly sticker without fu*king up his tank. Dam you Suzuki! Angry

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 01/11/05 at 17:03:32

The warning label on top is over the clearcoat, the logo stickers on the sides are under the clearcoat on my 98.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #8 - 01/11/05 at 20:54:28

it really isn't that noticeable,  go get some flames dec als nobody will notice.

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #9 - 01/11/05 at 21:19:39

Does the dryer soften the clearcoat?  Or does one need to crack it in order to get to the decal in order to start peeling?

I read that there is a stuff called clearcoat reducer (Sherwin Williams, among others, sells it) that will slowly remove the clearcoat.

I love the color of my bike, I just want the stickers off.

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #10 - 01/11/05 at 22:04:27

the dryer only helps peel off the sticker. you must first dig at the corner of the decal with your fingernail or something sharp to break through the clear coat.

have you seen the fruits of you labor. check the riser thread..

IP Logged
Old Geezer

Reply #11 - 01/12/05 at 14:37:27

I'm sorry, I believe I misunderstood your question.  I though you were trying to take the warning label off the tank, not the Savage decal.  I apologize for misleading you.

IP Logged
Nightrain
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 01/12/05 at 14:48:30

you prick! Just kidding Cheesy. thanks for re-posting. I am considering swapping the tank for a sporty tank now. If I got to re-paint it, I'm gonna get the tank I want. I like the peanut style tank. Ive just got too many projects right now. maybee in a few months.

cheers

IP Logged
Old Geezer

Reply #13 - 01/13/05 at 03:45:41

If you use a Sportster tank, you'll have to relocate the speedometer.  Not an unsurmountable deal but a consideration.  If you need a Sportster tank, I have one I'd be willing to sell.  I live in west Texas.

IP Logged
Nightrain
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 01/13/05 at 08:19:13

I don't need no speedo. I'm going for super clean. Whay ya say about that sporty tank?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 09:24:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › gas tank sticker

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.