Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
New drag bars and 4" risers (Read 115 times)
Nightrain
Ex Member

New drag bars and 4" risers
01/07/05 at 09:06:30

Just receved my drag bars and 4" risers. I ordered everything off Ebay. I am getting ready to do the install on my 02 Savage this weekend. I'll post pictures of steps.  The risers that I got are really fat and robust. They accept a 1/4 inch bolt. Does anyone know if I will have to drill the trees and or bushings?

thanks
M.C.
Grin

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Re: New drag bars and 4" risers
Reply #1 - 01/08/05 at 20:02:42

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #2 - 01/08/05 at 20:16:00

i was looking to try the same thing, this is what i ended up doing.  i went with the standard riser and got a set of drag bars from Krome werks that has a 2.7 inch rise. and 5 inch pull back.  they will be sweet. right now i've got it "mocked" up with a pair of 7/8 in bars of the gn400  i'll post pics when complete.

good luck on the risers,  hey and git.  did you get to put the machine in the bathroom yet?  Cheesy

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Reply #3 - 01/08/05 at 20:23:07

The wife drew the line on that one. Embarrassed

I saw one Bert's that it took a 10mm bolt.  That's pretty stout.  If NightTrain has 1/4" bolts, he might have to use some bushings or something.

Where's Greg when you need him?   Grin

IP Logged
Nightrain
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 01/10/05 at 08:19:11

I replaced the stock risers and bars with harley 27" drag bars (1" diam) and 4" harley risers. I appologize 100 times but I have no pics. The camera is busted.
 The biggest issue was to convert the bushings and spacer inside the bushings to accept a 1/4 inch bolt. The way I see it is, there are 2 options.
 Option 1. Pay a machine shop to mill the bolts so that 1 side is 1/4 inch (fine thread) to fit inside the risers and the other side is that of the stock suzuki bolt. This way you can retain the factory bushings and spacer.
 Option 2. Replace the factory spacer that will accept a 1/4 inch bolt and reem out the bushings a hair to accept the new spacer.

I opted for option #2 because all the machine shops were closed. If I could do it again, I would probabaly go with options #1 . Although it took me all day, it worked great, looks great and is strong and safe. Here is what I did.
1. remove stock bars & risers.
2. Remove the stock bushings from the trees.
3. Remove the stock spacer inside the bushings.
4. Go to home depot and buy a 1' section of 7/16 O.D. steel pipe from the plumbing section
5. Drill out inside diameter of the pipe with a 1/4 inch drill bit then cut it to length. This is your new spacer.
6. Used a dremel grinding attachement that measured about 7/16 to widen the Inside of the rubber bushings to accept the new spacer. This really stinks. It makes a burning rubber smell througout your garage and leaves dirty rubber residue all over the place. BUT IT WORKS!
7. Re assemble new risers, slightly enlarged bushings and new spacer with new bolts (1/4' fine thread)
8. handlebars go on like normal.
9. DONT FORGET THE THREADLOCK!

Here is the link to the risers that I used. They look so freaking sweet!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4517149476...

Pictures of the bars to come! As soon as I pony up for a new camera

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #5 - 01/10/05 at 09:41:49

Does any one use dog bone risers, or will they not fit ?

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Nightrain
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 01/10/05 at 09:45:26

I know that dog bone risers will fit. I just happen to not prefer that look.

IP Logged
thehoghunter
2004 No Login

Chop Suey

Tampa
Reply #7 - 01/10/05 at 10:41:20

http://www.bikepics.com/members/thehoghunter/97savage/

Looks just like my 4" risers - cept mine are on different trees (part of the bolt-on chopper kit) - so I didn't have the issues with the bushings and spacers.  I did use the upper portion of the rubber mounts - don't recall if I had to make them a little bigger or not.

WWW   IP Logged
Nightrain
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 01/10/05 at 11:03:30

That chopper kit is downright Nasty! I would love to bolt one of those babies on my front end. I saw them online for fourteen hund-o. Is the kit really complete? And truthfully, how does it handle?

IP Logged
thehoghunter
2004 No Login

Chop Suey

Tampa
Reply #9 - 01/10/05 at 12:14:32

The kit is complete - was relatively easy to install - I've had mechanical jobs before (helicopter crewchief/repair in the Army and air brakes for tractor-trailers).  First time I've worked on a motorcycle.  

The ride is perfect.  Better than stock while riding - only glitch is that it's a bit longer for moving it in and out of the garage.  At first I couldn't make a 180 degree turn in a normal street but can easily do it now.  I like it better than stock - the only reason I take my wife's Savage out is because either she hasn't ridden it in a while or mine's apart for new looks.

Folks on ChopperUnderground think it way too expensive - and that it's dangerous (some know better).  But if I were to learn to weld and buy the equipment - I would have ended up with the same cost.  The kit is rated by the TUV (Germany) and there are extensive test it has to go through.

WWW   IP Logged
Nightrain
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 01/10/05 at 14:29:17

Well, when you put it like that, I guess the only thing left to do is decide what to sell.

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #11 - 01/10/05 at 14:39:22

Nightrain wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Well, when you put it like that, I guess the only thing left to do is decide what to sell.

plasma, sperm, mother inlaw,  all are exceptable items to sell. they usually bring a nice price, well maybe not the MIL Roll Eyes

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #12 - 01/10/05 at 17:28:56

here's the pic of the 7/8th inch mock up drag bars, 1 inch bars should be here friday.   the ends will just miss the tank in a "to the stop" turn.  i like that position much better than the pullbacks.  it feels like an old schwinn bike with the wide rounded handlebars.

now of course with 5 inchs of snow outside the garage i'm not riding it anywhere.  

and when i do.   look out dogs.  i'm on the loose

and here's thumpers new model classification DK650C
thats "dog killer 650 chopped"   Shocked

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Reply #13 - 01/10/05 at 18:48:54

Quote:
and when i do.   look out dogs.  i'm on the loose

I did you up a little sticker for your bike.   Get 5 of these and you're an ace.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #14 - 01/10/05 at 20:00:54

LOL, that's just wrong.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 04:18:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New drag bars and 4" risers

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.