Send Topic Print
New Tires (Read 11 times)
HotFix
2004 No Login

2001 Savage

Metro Atlanta
Re: New Tires
Reply #15 - 01/07/05 at 09:50:24

[comic_guy_voice]let us not forget that once rotational speed increases so does the centrifugal force. Thereby increasing the diameter of said tires and thus affecting transmission to actual speed ratio[\comic_guy_voice]

2008 Honda ST1300
2005 Honda VTX 1300 C (sold)
2001 Suzuki Savage (sold)
  IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #16 - 01/07/05 at 10:04:40

From what I've seen the Metz's seem to hit the sweet spot, but any new quality tire should work better than what you got.

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #17 - 01/07/05 at 10:17:51

HotFix wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
[comic_guy_voice]let us not forget that once rotational speed increases so does the centrifugal force. Thereby increasing the diameter of said tires and thus affecting transmission to actual speed ratio[\comic_guy_voice]

[similarly_silly_voice] And in turns, the contact patch is not on the outer periphery, also affecting the actual speed.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #18 - 01/07/05 at 10:39:44

In all fairness, I don't really check the speedometer all that often.  I usually stay with the flow of traffic in the city.  Elsewhere, I check it now and again but mostly just go by feel.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Michael

Reply #19 - 01/10/05 at 15:06:04

Thanks for the input everyone. Think I will stick with Metzler Grin    cheers.....

Michael

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #20 - 01/10/05 at 19:58:23

Might not be a bad idea.  Even though I removed the saddlebag supports, the tire was still rubbing on the left side.  I shifted my shocks from the #3 position to the #5 position which is a definite improvement because I don't hear any rubbing anymore but I'm not convinced it has entirely stopped.  I'm 200 lbs (after the holidays) and there's probably another 10-15 lbs of stuff in my trunk.  I may wind up changing the bolts to a "lower profile" to get it to stop or find another solution (short of switching to an 80mm tire).

Michael

Reply #21 - 01/11/05 at 11:53:49

Hey All

Just checked the price of the metzelers:

With a 25% discount because it is winter here, the back tyre is

$185 + 15% sales tax

front

$133 + 15% sales tax

for a grand total of $365.70 Undecided

Now I have to decide if my life is worth that much money...Wife says NO....lol

I will probally get them, but they are twice the price of some....But I do like the feel of the ones I have. I have ridden in heavy rain (not by choice) at 50-60mph with no hydroplaning.....Dealer told me that most of the high end bikes come with Metzelers......anyone know of a discount tire company in Canada???.....with the exchange, and the border hassle, plus shipping, I try to avoid buying Stateside....No offence my American buds..............cheers

Michael

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #22 - 01/11/05 at 12:17:17

Michael wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
..No offence my American buds..............cheers

Michael

no offense taken we all know that canda has the best buds   Grin  well at least i do.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #23 - 01/20/05 at 05:48:45

I replaced the bolts with buttonhead allen bolts.  It's not as easy to remove/replace them (until I obtain a low-profile ratcheting 5mm allen wrench), but they don't rub at all.

Michael

Reply #24 - 01/20/05 at 08:22:07

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
I replaced the bolts with buttonhead allen bolts.  It's not as easy to remove/replace them (until I obtain a low-profile ratcheting 5mm allen wrench), but they don't rub at all.

Rob...glad you found a solution for the problem.....cheers

Michael

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #25 - 01/21/05 at 01:58:27

I use aluminium button head allen bolts to hold KLX's plastic bodywork on.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 03:19:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Tires

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.