Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New Tires (Read 11 times)
Michael

New Tires
01/05/05 at 20:32:38

Hey all:

I am ready to replace the tires on my Savage. It is a 2000, and the tires are orrigional. The front tire shows little signs of wear, but the back one definetly needs relaced. Due to the fact that they are five years old, I have decided to replace both.

My question is, considering the variables below, should i go with the factory installed Metzler brand, or choose another brand?

Being in New Brunswick Canada, I ride in rain, fog, drizzle, etc....often. I need a tire that has maximun grip in wet conditions. If there is such a thing, I want tires that channel water to avoid hydroplaning.

I also love to lean in ideal driving conditions. I love the twisties, and often hit them faster than I probally should. I need a tire with maximun road/tire adhesion, with a tread that isn't going to wear down like the eraser on a pencil. I don't mind paying more, for a tire that is going to last, and possibly save my life.

What have you people tried? Any Suggestions?......

Thank you in advance.............cheere

Michael

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: New Tires
Reply #1 - 01/05/05 at 22:22:42

As I am a very conservative rider, I picked up Dunlop D404's from Motorcycle Accessory Warehouse $41 front / 54 rear, plus shipping.  Dunlop's site has an interesting Frequently Asked Questions section.

You can have fantastic traction or decent mileage, but not both with the same tire.

WWW   IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #2 - 01/06/05 at 03:01:49

I also frequent a German forum. Here in Europe the Mettzlers 880 are the favorite

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 01/06/05 at 05:33:21

Justbe careful with the Dunlop fitment guide.  It will indicate a 140/90-15 for the rear while the original is a 140/80-15.  The drawback is that the bolts inside the fender (when using the stock Suzuki saddlebag supports) will rub with the 90 instead of the 80.  Also, the speedometer will no longer be accurate with the 90.   I just bought the Dunlop 491 Elite II's for both tires a couple of weeks ago and I like them.  They are long-wearing all-season tires.  I did remove my saddlebag supports since I am using a rear-mounted trunk but will be looking into an alternative means of mounting them since I intend to eventually remove the trunk and bob the rear a bit.  The Metzeler tires also have great reviews though they were more expensive.  They actually offer the 80mm rear tire though.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
thehoghunter
2004 No Login

Chop Suey

Tampa
Reply #4 - 01/06/05 at 10:55:53

Savage_Rob wrote: Quote:
Also, the speedometer will no longer be accurate with the 90.

Wouldn't changing tire size only cause accuracy issues if the speedometer is off the back or front wheel?  Coming off the tranny, shouldn't it still be the same?

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 01/06/05 at 11:23:56

I don't think so.  It seems to me that each RPM will be a greater distance with a larger drive tire than that for which it was spec'd.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #6 - 01/06/05 at 12:26:18

I've run the 140/90 and it is taller and does affect the speedo/odometer readings. Also allowed me to cruise at 70 indicated very smoothly. Noticed now that I am bacl to stock size sweet spot is about 67 or so indicated. I solved the bag bracket bolt interference by using a allen hex flat head bolt in place of the hex one.  I have had good luck with Dunlops, Elite II and now K-555 that is fitment for a Honda PC-800 touring bike.

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 01/06/05 at 14:30:10

I read somewhere that the speed difference is about 4% but I haven't bothered to check that.

Honda_fan
2004 No Login

Go Ride!

Antioch, IL
Reply #8 - 01/06/05 at 18:44:58

Max_Morley wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
I've run the 140/90 and it is taller and does affect the speedo/odometer readings. Also allowed me to cruise at 70 indicated very smoothly. Noticed now that I am bacl to stock size sweet spot is about 67 or so indicated. I solved the bag bracket bolt interference by using a allen hex flat head bolt in place of the hex one.  I have had good luck with Dunlops, Elite II and now K-555 that is fitment for a Honda PC-800 touring bike.

Max,

You should get fantastic mileage from the K555. I ran those on my PC800 and got about 18K out of them on average. They also have decent grip wet & dry. With the light weight of the Savage I would expect around 20K out of them depending on conditions.

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #9 - 01/07/05 at 00:50:08

With the 140/90/15 you will be going 4.6 % faster than the speedo says.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 01/07/05 at 05:28:23

klx650sm2002 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
With the 140/90/15 you will be going 4.6 % faster than the speeo says.

Clive W  Cheesy

Thanks Clive.

So as a rough rule of thumb, add 1 for every 22...
Speedo says 22, think 23
Speedo says 44, think 46
Speedo says 66, think 69

Simple enough for me.

LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 01/07/05 at 06:41:14

Since motorcycle speedo's are historically inaccurate...reading higher than actual...this should put the indicated and actual speed in line with each other.

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #12 - 01/07/05 at 07:17:28

Yes I agree.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #13 - 01/07/05 at 07:38:43

AND... as you wear away the tread through normal use, your actual speed relative to the speedometer's reading decreases... though I would doubt it could be an appreciable amount.

thehoghunter
2004 No Login

Chop Suey

Tampa
Reply #14 - 01/07/05 at 07:58:59

So then the general rule of thumb is if the cop pulls you over you were going to fast!  

Bad cop - no doughnut!

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 23:32:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Tires

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.