Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sturgis (for Perrydasavage) (Read 8 times)
Diane
2004 No Login

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Houston, TX
Sturgis (for Perrydasavage)
12/29/04 at 17:18:28

In another post Perrydasavage wondered if anyone had been to Sturgis.  I've been stuck at home sick all day so during those times that I just had to get out of bed for a bit, I have put together a little something.

http://hometown.aol.com/bikernanatx/Sturgis2002.html

There is only one reason to go to Sturgis, for bragging rights.  Yep, been there, did that, bought all the tshirts.  Which is a good thing because I will never go back during bike week.  Please take note of all the traffic jams.  This is what happens when 400,000 bikers show up on top of all the other turists that had no idea what was going on till they found themselves in the middle of it.  The weather.......... freakish!  If you ever go, take everything.  It can be calm and hot, then suddenly there is a streak of lightning, clap of thunder and it will turn cold and windy.  The wind blew so hard that it pulled tents out of the ground and they went rolling across the pasture.  Thats right pasture.  If you want a room while in Sturgis you need to plan that well in advance, like a year or more and it won't be cheap.  Otherwise you camp and when the campgrounds are full they open up the cow pastures.  All in all I'm glad I went but if I ever go back I want to be able to ride the country side and it is beautiful but being locked down in traffic jams in the middle of nowhere is not my idea of riding.

Gas $3.39 a gallon, map $5.95, getting lost on a scenic country road.......... priceless!
2003 Teal Green Savage
Houston, TX
WWW   IP Logged
Ed L.

Re: Sturgis (for Perrydasavage)
Reply #1 - 12/29/04 at 18:33:22

It seems that most of the big bike weekends are like that, lots of bikes/not enough riders. I was following the Daytona bike week and apparently most of the locals don't go out because the traffic is so bad. Seems the same for Sturgis, lots of egos and traffic.
Ride Safe

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #2 - 12/29/04 at 18:54:25

i have brothers who are bikers, and they won't even go these days. they say it's spoiled by all the posers. you know the guys, they spend twenty grand on a bike,  2 grand on cloths, they buy their wife/girlfriends boob jobs
so they will look good on back.  they trailer the whole kit and kabbodle to within a few miles then "ride" in thinking they be some kind of road warrior.
i'm speaking of both daytona and sturgis. ask law enforcement and they will tell you there are way to many riders out there at these events that don't have a clue on how to ride but because they can afford the machine that makes them "BIKERS".

I have  much respect for the people on the two forums because they choose not to follow. just look at what we have done with the basic platform. we got choppers,baggers,cafe races, and i've even seen a TT version.  i don't know anyone who has left his/her machine strickly stock.

here's my proposal.  this year for stugis, organize you're own charity ride in the community you live in.  this way you get to meet other bikers, and help the people in the community that need it..  

any thoughts.... Roll Eyes

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #3 - 12/30/04 at 01:37:45

Thanks Diane for this Thread ... I do appreciate it ... never been myself to either Daytona or Sturgis ... it's mighty far to either living here in Newfoundland ... that said, it's a fantasy of mine to visit a "Bike Week" one of these days ... but with all due respect to our friend Sluggo, I'd probably be classed as one of those "tourists" ... too far to ship the Bike and not enough time off of work to Ride.
Would still like to see the "spectacle" though ... and I don't really care if someone is a more "hardcore" Biker (not talkin' 1%'er here) or just a "weekend warrior" or a newb ... most Ride 'cause it makes 'em feel good ... and to me that's all that it's really about.
Canada has a similar "happening" in Port Dover, Ontario (resort town on Lake Erie south of Hamilton) every Friday 13th ... town of 5,000 swells to over 100,000 with Bikes and Riders of all descriptions and all of the typical vendors, attractions and shennanigans! Maybe I'll make it there one of these days!
www.pd13.com

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #4 - 12/30/04 at 05:49:06

PerrydaSavage wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
...  with all due respect to our friend Sluggo, I'd probably be classed as one of those "tourists" ... too far to ship the Bike and not enough time off of work to Ride.

no  perry i do not consider you a poser, for you see you ride a savage and are proud of that fact. i would see nothing wrong with you flying to either sturgis or daytona to take in the "party", because you would not be going there pretending to be something you are not.
heck who doesn't like a good party.

i quess what i was trying to say with my origingal post was, i have a problem with those who think they can "buy" a lifestyle rather than live it, and events like sturgis and daytona just rub my nose in it.

when i purchased thumper with cash i could have afforded a h.d.  but just to many people buy them as the status symbol, and i wanted to be different.  when i'm done with all the mod's i'm making it will be as sweet looking as anything you see being built on the tube, at a fraction of the cost. i want a custom machine that is my daily driver so when i wreck it (and i will) i can put it back together again on the cheep.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Diane
2004 No Login

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Houston, TX
Reply #5 - 12/30/04 at 06:00:45

Part of what I forgot to say was that going without your bike would be safe.  If you can work out how to get there and where to stay you could enjoy the spectacle of Sturgis without the headaches.  It is a very small town so I think you would have to work out a fly/drive trip.  However, of all the towns we visited I enjoyed Deadwood the most.  The site of Wild Bill's demise is still there.

Gas $3.39 a gallon, map $5.95, getting lost on a scenic country road.......... priceless!
2003 Teal Green Savage
Houston, TX
WWW   IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #6 - 12/30/04 at 09:12:10

8)Hi guys! First off Sluggo my friend, I wasn't trying to imply that you may have thought of "yours truely" as a poser ... on the contrary ... I fully admit that if I were to attend one of these events, I would in fact be a tourist!
As far as Bikes go, I like 'em all ... in fact my 3 faves of all-time are the Savage/S40, Intruder/S50 and Harley's new 883L ... sluggo my man I admire your guts in chopping a brand new '04 Savage ... and a cooler Ride I've seldom seen anywhere! I also understand your reasons for wanting to own an LS650 rather than something else ... I too love the fact that it is a very unique cycle!
Diane ... if I were ever to get to Sturgis, I'd like to fly in to the nearest airport with nothing more than the basics, bus into Sturgis and then try and hook up with some decent folks who wouldn't mind me pitching a small pup tent on their campground. The "romance" of going solo and then makin' some new friends to knock about with for a few days to take in the spectacle really appeals to me ... the safety issue of not Riding isn't lost on me ... hell I'm still a noob when it comes to Riding ... besides, I have a wife and daughter that'd I like to be able to return home to!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #7 - 12/30/04 at 13:11:47

I'd like to go to Sturgis for the Eye-Candy.  Bikes and well,  you know...

I'd really rather ride there, but face it, the Savage derives it's name from it's seat.

And, my biking philosophy, at least with my Savage, is to keep it clean and lean.  That means little room for baggage.   I'd have to ride in with a backpack.

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #8 - 01/04/05 at 14:48:10

I went to Biketoberfest in Daytona Beach in October. It was interesting to go to a big biker event but one was definitely enough. Very little real gear for sale -- mostly Harley stuff, t-shirts, souvenirs etc... Got to see a few vendors I wanted to see but not as many as I had hoped.

Not a lot of biking goes on -- mostly people-watching and drinking. It was fun seeing all the custom bikes cruising by. There were some really beauties. And as my husband would say, the bikes weren't bad either... They did have demo rides which was cool but they took people out for a limited time in fairly heavy traffic so you couldn't really get much of a feel for the demo bike.

All in all, lots of Harleys, not enough helmets and too many riders drinking too much. I like to drink too but I wouldn't want to hop on a bike afterwards in a t-shirt and shorts and no helmet!!

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
thehoghunter
2004 No Login

Chop Suey

Tampa
Reply #9 - 01/05/05 at 06:26:24

Gitarzan wrote: Quote:
I'd really rather ride there, but face it, the Savage derives it's name from it's seat.

I agree that the stock seat wouldn't do for a long trip, but I do think the Savage could do the trip.  I haven't rode a long way on one yet (across Florida from Tampa to Daytona) but rode a 198? Yamaha 650 Special from Louisana to New Jersey and it had no problem keeping up (completely stock).  I hope to go from Florida to Jersey someday and back just to do it.  Maybe my Mom will be back to health enough for me to give her a ride (the last ride she took was when she was 86 - has since broken her hip and is still using a cane to get around).

And I wasn't impressed with Bike Week - the best part was seeing what others have done to their bikes and the ride there and back.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 03:21:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Sturgis (for Perrydasavage)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.