Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Mid-Range Power & the White Spacer (Backfire) (Read 5136 times)
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Mid-Range Power & the White Spacer (Backfi
Reply #15 - 10/14/11 at 08:56:42

philburg2 wrote on 10/09/11 at 18:06:31:
So first off, this guide is great.  However i'm having a heck of a time tuning everything just right.

Like many of you, i stripped all 4 screws on the top so I had to get a counter screw.  I even snapped the choke cap in half somehow from overtightening... so this has been quite the odyssey.  

Basically I got rid of the spacer, and went to 2 washers at first.  This had limited success, no matter how I set the fuel/air screw.  Today I went down to one washer, but it seems things only got worse.  Realistically I should aim for 3 washers, but I'd like to make sure that's the right course of action.

My main question is does turning the air/fuel screw out (counter clockwise) add more fuel to the mix?  With my one washer currently, turning out more makes the pop on shutdown even LOUDER.  I'm waking up dogs a mile away.  Kinda fun, but I don't really wanna be imitating Uncle Buck.  

Looking to reduce the backfire on shutdown at least, ASAP.

Thanks,
Phil

find stainless screws for the top for ease of use and providing a secure seal with the diaphram.
3 washers on the needle provides a good midrange fuel supply for most stock engines with most nonstock mufflers

you mentioned testing washers on the needle & adjusting the pilot screw together.  
keep in mind that the needle controls the midrange fuel circuit (1/4-3/4 throttle) and the pilot jet & pilot screw control the low throttle range (idle- 1/4 throttle)
adjusting the screw will make very little change on your midrange.

do the pilot circuit first, then needle and then main jet
set idle at 1100 and test drive
ALL ADJUSTMENTS MUST BE DONE WITH ENGINE FULLY WARMED UP or the setup will not be the most efficient for your engine when fully warmed.
go ride a few miles prior to jetting/tuning

**turning the pilot screw OUT will richen the mixture.

IP Logged
redsticksavage
YaBB Newbies

2006 S40

Baton Rouge, La
Reply #16 - 10/20/12 at 15:39:39

Today I did the 1/2 spacer and 1-1/2 turn of air mix screw mods, still running stock airbox, jets, and pipe.

The bike runs much better, before I had to run on 1 notch of choke all the time. Before the bike would frequently backfire on decel and when turned off.  Now it only backfires when I sharply decel.

Much improved but still not perfect.

Some hints I borrowed from this forum:

1. Remove the carb from bike and put it in a vise with wood and duct taped faced jaws.
2. Get the $5 harbor freight mini impact screwdriver, those screws on the diaphragm end of the carb are tight.  This tool has a Phillips tip that fits nicely all the screws on the carb without stripping.  And yes, impact in the form of repeated light but firm taps was needed to remove the ones on the diaphragm cover.

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-piece-reversible-impact-driver-set-93481.html

3. I replaced the diaphragm screws with Metric no 5 screws and used some anti seize when putting it all back together.
4.  Inside the diaphragm are 2 Metric no 3 screws that I also replaced as I nearly stripped the Phillips head on one before I again used the HF impact tool-no need for impact, just needed a well fitting Phillips bit.
5. I followed the forum advice and went to Ace where I found a black no 4 nylon washer and a white no 4 nylon washer, they were both identical except in color and both were about 1/2 the height of the stock washer. I used the white one.  While there I also picked up 4 no 4 brass washers as 4  together were the same height as the stock washer.  So I have these to play with if the white nylon washer doesn't work for me long term.
6. I drilled the brass plug with a very small bit and chucked it in my drill with only 1/8" sticking out and drilled a small hole that a 2-1/2 drywall screw could bite into.  It took me three screws before it came out.  I only used one screw per attempt to ensure I had a good bite into the brass since all this is happening at the tip of the screw. I also filed the tip down a little to avoid having it bottom out on the delicate air mix screw.  Not having a dent puller, I simply latched some vise grips onto the screw stuck in the plug and use a hammer and large screw driver against the face of the vise grips and sent the vise grips with the screw attached and brass plug attached flying away from the carb that was still mounted in the vise.

Note: I did compare these metric no 3 and 5 screws to computer case screws but the thread looked finer on the stock screws so instead of using computer case screws, I just bought replacements at Ace.

Thank you all for sharing your experience and making this job relatively easy for me.

« Last Edit: 10/21/12 at 13:22:40 by redsticksavage »  

2006 S40, EBC organic front/stock rear pads, 4900 miles, Rotella T6, Shinko 712s, Fram fuel filter, Raptor, no 4 nylon washer, 3 turns air mix, jets 150/52.5, open Dyna, stock air box
  IP Logged
ROAD WARRIOR
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Mid-Range Power & the White Spacer (Backfire)
Reply #17 - 01/31/13 at 06:26:13

I have a 2012 s40 and replaced muffler, rejeted and used 2 washers replacing the white washer in carb.  It still back firers.  Will try going to 1 wash.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 01/31/13 at 06:52:36

ROAD WARRIOR wrote on 01/31/13 at 06:26:13:
I have a 2012 s40 and replaced muffler, rejeted and used 2 washers replacing the white washer in carb.  It still back firers.  Will try going to 1 wash.

The Savage will always backfire.......You should not be jetting with the goal of completely eliminating a backfire......it will never happen.  You need to jet with the goal of having the bike run smoothly, with good power and fuel mileage.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ponzo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 07/01/14 at 19:32:55

After taking out the white spacer I forgot how the plate was installed... what's the proper way to install?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #20 - 07/01/14 at 19:35:41

holes over holes with the dimple pointing down.

WWW   IP Logged
Ponzo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 07/01/14 at 20:00:04

That's what I thought and did. The backfire is gone but now on deceleration the motor stalls.. I'm not too sure what to do.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #22 - 07/01/14 at 20:34:30

what did you put in place of the white spacer?

did you readjust the idle mixture?

did you readjust the idle speed?

WWW   IP Logged
Ponzo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 07/01/14 at 20:43:39

verslagen1 wrote on 07/01/14 at 20:34:30:
what did you put in place of the white spacer?

did you readjust the idle mixture?

did you readjust the idle speed?

I put two #4 washers and I did adjust the idle mixture and speed. It has a great idle.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #24 - 07/01/14 at 21:24:07

turn the idle speed up a little.

doin' it by ear or meter?

WWW   IP Logged
Ponzo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 07/02/14 at 06:09:47

verslagen1 wrote on 07/01/14 at 21:24:07:
turn the idle speed up a little.

doin' it by ear or meter?

I'm pretty sure I got it fixed this morning by doing what you said and I turned up the idle speed and seems to be fixed. Thanks for all your help!!

IP Logged
edsbike
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

newville pa
Reply #26 - 06/20/15 at 13:40:00

i did the air screw adjustment 1.5 turns out what a difference i noticed no backfire no hesitation while going 50 mph wanted to do the spacer but the last screw on the top of the carb stripped so its put it  off for a while untill i have more time

IP Logged
Ultimafuego

Just window shoping
with a brick.

Rome, GA
Reply #27 - 09/22/15 at 10:10:46

I ended up replacing the white spacer and the washer on the spring with nylon washers from ace hardware.  This gave me the best result.  I am running a harley sportster muffler and jets are 155/55.  The back firing gone almost entirely. Love it.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #28 - 09/22/15 at 13:31:41

Ultimafuego wrote on 09/22/15 at 10:10:46:
I ended up replacing the white spacer and the washer on the spring with nylon washers from ace hardware.  This gave me the best result.  I am running a harley sportster muffler and jets are 155/55.  The back firing gone almost entirely. Love it.

Those jets are awfully big.....how much black smoke comes out the tailpipe?  Do you get about 40 mpg?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ultimafuego

Just window shoping
with a brick.

Rome, GA
Reply #29 - 09/23/15 at 07:22:00

I have not checked the MPGs after the mods yet.  Before molesting the bike from stock it was at 53mpg on a road trip down I-75 at about 70-75 mph.  No black smoke at all.  I originally had the metal washer on the spring and 2 metal washers between the circlip and the plate but it was causing hesitation at low cruising speeds that were solved by pulling the enrichment out. I had to play with it a while to get it right, but the jets are about as good as it gets.  I think they are pretty high too but i may jet down a step and see where its at with the needle adjusted right now.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 11:16:50

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › Mid-Range Power & the White Spacer (Backfire)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.