Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mounting Saddlebags need help (Read 15 times)
Diane
2004 No Login

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Houston, TX
Mounting Saddlebags need help
12/25/04 at 09:45:53

I got my Christmas gifts now have to put them on the Savage.  The mounting brackets came with full instructions and looks pretty simple.  If anybody thinks I'm in for a suprise and it's more complicated than it looks, please warn me now!

But.........

It is not obvious how to remove the back seat to mount the saddlebags.  Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Gas $3.39 a gallon, map $5.95, getting lost on a scenic country road.......... priceless!
2003 Teal Green Savage
Houston, TX
WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: Mounting Saddlebags need help
Reply #1 - 12/25/04 at 12:13:28

On the front seat, underneath, each side, toward the rear, 10mm bolts.  Remove, front seat tips off forward.  This exposes the single 10mm bolt front and center of the rear seat.  Remove, seat tips off backward.

WWW   IP Logged
red2k1
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 12/27/04 at 04:14:40

If you do not ride two up you may want to consider, if you haven't already, mounting the bags over the rear seat.  Mine fit much better that way and the right bag is keept away from the exhaust.  Each case can be a bit different, just a thought.

IP Logged
Patty
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 12/27/04 at 05:32:29

Are they the kind that just hang over the bike? Or are the individually mounted? Hubby says they are easy to install. Make sure you have the saddlebag support reails so they don't get into rear wheel. Mine are max and willy bags and they mount under the seat. Put the back seat back on and have no problem with clearance around the exhaust. This is one of the simplest things you can do I think.

IP Logged
Diane
2004 No Login

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Houston, TX
Reply #4 - 12/27/04 at 07:01:35

Thanks Paladin.  I can feel 2 bolts on each side at the rear of the front seat.

red2k1....... I measured everything before deciding on saddlebags.  It looks like I'm gonna have plenty of clearance over the exhaust.  No, I don't ride 2 up and I've never heard of anybody stealing saddlebags but I do live in a big city and would prefer not to have the temptation just hanging there.

Patty....... Yep I have the support rails.

We did hit one snag right off the bat.  Metric tools!  We have a metric socket set but no metric cresent wrenches and if I do it according to instructions I am supposed to use a torque wrench.  So, I'm gonna have to buy or borrow some tools which is why you aren't looking a pics of my saddlebags right now.

Gas $3.39 a gallon, map $5.95, getting lost on a scenic country road.......... priceless!
2003 Teal Green Savage
Houston, TX
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 12/27/04 at 21:43:55

Quote:
no metric cresent wrenches

ROFLMAO!

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #6 - 12/28/04 at 02:39:52

Hi Diane ... I mounted some bag brackets last year and made a mess of a couple of the fender rail bolts (which you have to remove in order to install the brackets) ... I put it down to my "mechanical ineptitude" and the fact that I didn't have the proper tools. Anyhoo, these bolts (2-each side) reside on the inside of the rear fender and are kinda awkward to get at ... a socket won't fit in there (unless you remove the rear wheel), but those ratcheting ring wrenches work well in a situation like this ... after ruining the head on one of the bolts and having to use a set of vice-grips to remove it, I then used one of those ratcheting ring wrenches to remove the other bolts without trouble ... they work well, 'cause you don't have to reposition 'em after every turn ... especially good in close quarters like under the fender ... a metric set can be picked up at any automotive parts or tool supply store. After these bolts are removed, putting on the brackets is a straight forward matter ... just position and reinstall those pesky bolts!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Diane
2004 No Login

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Houston, TX
Reply #7 - 12/28/04 at 07:42:34

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
ROFLMAO!

Well Rob I had to think about it for a while but I finally got it.   Roll Eyes  I didn't mean the adjustable wrench but what is also refered to as an open end or combination wrench.  (just so you know that I am not a total air head)

And thanks for your input Perry, I will try to stop by Sears on my way home today.

2003 Teal Green Savage
Houston, TX
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 12/28/04 at 09:37:52

And here I thought you were just screwing with the rest of us to see if we'd catch it!  I guess you guys had a white one, huh?  That's cool.  The only snow we had was what was left in a few shaded areas from a couple of days prior and it was negligible then.  Oh well, I heard there have only been two recorded instances of a white Christmas for Dallas and last was in the 20's.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 04:19:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Mounting Saddlebags need help

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.