Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cam Chain (Read 9 times)
robz
Ex Member

Cam Chain
12/24/04 at 02:30:34

Anyone fitted cam chain to savage ?
Not attempted this before and main concern is keeping everything in line (ie pistons and valves!).
Any advise, hints, tips, or words of wisdom would be welcomed.
Thanks and have a happy Chrimbo
Rob

IP Logged
rkutzner
Ex Member

Re: Cam Chain
Reply #1 - 12/24/04 at 15:30:28

I hope to not have to do this to my thumper for a long time since it is new, but I did have to change a stretched chain in my Suzuki Z400 sport quad after only a season and a half.  And that is a single piston engine/tranny just like our thumpers, so it may be very similar.  My advice from that:

1.   Have a shop manual or Clymer.  My Suzuki Z400 FACTORY shop manual has so many pictures and was so clear you'd think it wasn't made for mechanics.  I've ordered one because of that.

2.   Mark the position of EVERYTHING YOU CAN.  Just in case things get moved around.  Set everything at TDC at the beginning, then you'll know where to get back to.  My manual showed how the cams were set at TDC, so I didn't have to rely on my marks as much.

3.   Leave lots of time.  Don't expect to get it done the same day you start.  Assume you will need gaskets.  Take your time. If you have a friend who wants to learn, a second hand and eyes are always nice.

4.   If you have access to a digital camera, take a ton of pictures.  This has saved my buttocks more than once.  And take notes, don't assume you can remember ANYTHING.  BE ANAL Wink

5.   If you get overwhelmed, put it back together and have someone else do it.   But I doubt that will be the case if you are careful.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #2 - 12/26/04 at 20:59:53

I'm in a motel and don't have a lot of time, but....

Get a manual and the proper tools.

Set the engine to TDC on the compression stroke....look in the Technical corner under the Electrical section to find the marks you need.

Then check the Technical corner on fixing the Savage Plug leak because you'll have to do all that too....(minus removing the plug)

You'll also have to remove the clutch case cover, and you'll have to remove the primary drive gear to remove the chain....it is endless and behind the gear.   That will take a large socket and you'll have to block the crank from turning.  You have to have the cam chain gear bolts horizontal with the alignment pin at about the 1:00 position....there are horizontal marks.

Really...get a manual if you are really serious.  There are a lot more details than this.  Like removing the cam chain tensioner.  Then if you have questions, I'll be glad to help.

Like rkutzner said...plan on a couple days to get this done.

IP Logged
robz
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 12/29/04 at 13:14:28

Thanks for taking the time out to offer some useful advise. I'll let you know how it all works out in the new year!

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #4 - 12/30/04 at 02:06:15

My KLX has a two chain cam drive which lets the cams (DOHC) be closer together reducing the included valve angle for a better combustion chamber shape.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #5 - 12/30/04 at 06:23:22

robz wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
Thanks for taking the time out to offer some useful advise. I'll let you know how it all works out in the new year!

Just another piece of advice I learned from a German Savage forum.
Replace the chainguide also. It's the one that's attached to the chaintensioner.
Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 22:31:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cam Chain

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.