Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
white spacer and jetting (Read 49 times)
rkutzner
Ex Member

Re: white spacer and jetting
Reply #15 - 12/23/04 at 13:29:39

Got mine together and in the garage it sounds better already...and no 'puhhhhh' when I shut her down.

Unfortunately I have to wait a day or two to hit the road because it is raining cats and dogs here in MD and is to get cold this weekend.  Next week is calling for highs in the 40s, though...I'll be out !!!  Will let you know how it feels !

IP Logged
Ed L.

Reply #16 - 12/23/04 at 15:49:17

rkutzner, the sportster muffler was pretty easy, I pulled the entire exhaust off the bike, took it apart and dropped the exhaust and sportster muffler off at a local muffler shop. I had them make an adapter that is 1 3/4"OD at one end for the sportster muffler to slip over and 1 3/4"ID at the other end to fit over the stock pipe. I also had a 10 degree bend put in the adapter to match the way the stock muffler inlet is. The adapter is only about 8 inches long and gives the same length overall. I was using the stock heat shield but it didn't look right so I just picked up a straight 10" long shield that covers the adapter and clamps. The stock muffler mounting location can be used, just get a piece of flat stock and drill the holes to match the stock mount. I was even able to use the original rubber mounts for the new muffler.  If you are interested in a sportster muffler let me know, I have an extra in good shape I'll let you have for $10.00 plus shipping. I'll even include the directions I printed up from Bert's site.  Let me know if you are interested in the muffler, we'll get hooked up.

IP Logged
rkutzner
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 12/24/04 at 15:21:42

Thanks for the offer, I'll think about it.  I really want a Supertrapp, though, because I ride anywhere from the teens to the mid 90s and the Supertrapp will allow me to 'tune' for the seasons.

I DID GET OUT TODAY !  The 152.5 main and 1/2 spacer ran very strong at 30 degrees (F) !  I suspect it may be a hair rich come summer since this seems to be the jetting of many of you with an aftermarket muffler....but for winter it seems to be right on.  No more running with the choke half open.  And I tried resetting the idle mixture screw, but it ended up at 1.5 turns out just like summer.  It went to 2 before the idle started going back down, but I see no reason to mess with it during the seasons so I put the plug back in.

IP Logged
Ed L.

Reply #18 - 12/24/04 at 15:30:06

No problem, didn't think about the adjustability of a Super Trapp and how you can fine tune for the weather. Start saving you loose change, you'll have enough by spring.

IP Logged
rkutzner
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 12/24/04 at 15:34:55

Surprised someone is on here Christmas Eve..MERRY CHRISTMAS !!!

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #20 - 12/26/04 at 10:42:48

Mike wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
I am going to paint my whole exhaust flat black with high temp paint.

Paint won't stick to the chrome very well, it will flake off in short order, then it will get lumpy if you don't sand it before repair. I like the metallic-ceramic coating I have now. It comes in black.

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Lancer

Reply #21 - 12/27/04 at 09:35:31

Dudes, do not forget the pilot system of the carb.  It's primary function in the carb is to take care of the idle-1/4 throttle range.  You should really change the pilot jet ...even on a stock bike, but especially on one that has had any mod's done to it.  If you replace the stock exhaust you definitely need to go at least one size larger on the pilot...then adjust the pilot adj screw...but no more that 3 turns out.  If you go more than 3 turns out then you need to up another size on the pilot jet, and readjust the screw.  Then of course adj the idle speed.
This is done seperately from the main jet of course, but they all end up working together for one smooth transition from idle to full throttle......if done correctly.
MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #22 - 12/27/04 at 09:48:41

What numbers have you tried?

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #23 - 01/07/05 at 08:00:42

When I had the stock carb (modified a bit) on the bike I was using a pilot jet that was one size larger than stock.  The bike seemed to like this size, 55 I believe, and the pilot adjustment screw was backed out about 1 3/4 turns.  The bike has a performance cam from Webcams, one over size bore with the silicone-carbide treatment on the cylinder, and a Performance Design muffler.

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #24 - 01/07/05 at 08:22:35

What are the cam timings with the webcams cam, thanks.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #25 - 01/09/05 at 05:48:21

I am away from home at present but will look up the spec's when I return this week sometime.  Just off the top of my head I think that the lift was increased from .250 to .264, and the duration was increased a total of 27 deg more than stock.   I will follow up with the exact numbers.

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #26 - 01/10/05 at 00:14:39

Hey Lancer

Your webcams interest me, 16% more time area, should really wake the Savage up along with your carb.
The sticking point we have come up against before when tuning the savage is the exhaust port.
My KLX has nice ports but a bit on the small side, the savage inlet is ok but the exhaust is bad, let me know how you get on with it, might beat the KLX, thanks.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #27 - 01/10/05 at 06:13:59

When talking with Webcam techs about the lift/duration they offered about TEN assorted combo's to choose from, and I decided on one that was pretty much in the middle of road.  I like power, but it has to be usable too.  The result was a  noticeable improvement all through the rpm range.  I was very pleased with the result.  When combined with the Edelbrock flatslide carb and the Performance Design muffler the Savage FEELS MUCH BETTER........he likes it.........
And, it only cost  a bit over $100.  I sent them my cam/gear and they returned it the next week.  A pretty fair trade, all considered.
Ya'll have a great day.  I have a train to catch.....going home after playing with grandbabies this month.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #28 - 01/10/05 at 06:23:12

PS....I have not tinkered with the head yet....plan to do a little porting in the next few months though.  I did get a gasket set for the top end before Christmas and noticed that it was a multi-layer set....when assembly after the head work I was thinking of using only part of the set to raise compressing a bit.  
What do you think?  I do not remember the exact numbers right now, but when I got the gaskets I measured them...individually and together...and figured that I could raise the comp ratio about 1 point if I used just part of the gasket set.  We will see.  
ALL ABOARD!  Gotta go, the train awaits.

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #29 - 01/10/05 at 08:42:15

Hey lancer27

Please let me know how things go with the head tinkering, a photo or two would be good if You don't mind shareing.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:36:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › white spacer and jetting

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.