Exhaust performance (Read 10 times)
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Exhaust performance
12/16/04 at 05:45:42

Those of you who have fitted after-market pipes and rejetted carbs, could you tell me the header length(including the bit in the silencer), and what the improvements were at what revs/roadspeed ?

thanks a lot

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Exhaust performance
Reply #1 - 12/17/04 at 04:45:33

Mine is pretty much all header, and the improvement seems to be at higher revs and speed.  When I have the time, I plan to install a different baffle to improve the low end grunt a bit more.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #2 - 12/17/04 at 12:44:16

I'm using a RAASK with about 1 foot cut off and the baffle in the HD-FXD muffler would be about the end of the original RAASK. When I tried a HH Drag Pipe for a couple days, I lost about 8 mph on where I could run in 5th gear. 43 up from 35. High end was probably better. With the set up I have I'm back to 35-37 in 5th as minimum where it will pull cleanly to cruising. I'm hoping this company will develop a suitable high torque/ high HP muffler, http://www.performance-design.net/index2.htm.  They have designed one that provides both torque and HP results. Years ago I had a book with a formula in it for max torque length of intake and exhaust tract or conversely max HP at RPM. In the early 70's I had a Honda SL-125 I modified and used for observed trials and commuting. I had lightened it to 200 lbs, had high back pegs, CT90 seat cut down, Preston Petty fenders (rear with light), removable headlight, and a Powroll stroker kit with a hand made exhaust from bits and pieces with a round flat muffler, forerunner to Supertrap I think, exdusher?? Had amazing torque for 150cc about 1600 - 2500 RPM. Did well in amatuer trials of the time with it. I have looked in vain for the book and/or formula since. It must have been loaned and not returned or lost in moves over the years.  Smiley

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Ed L.

Reply #3 - 12/17/04 at 16:30:57

Rejetted to a 152.5 main, 1/2 thickness white spacer and installed a Sportster muffler with a 8" adapter between the stock pipe and muffler. Added about 600-800 more rpm with noticable power increase above 4800rpm. Seems to have a little less torque between 2200rpm to 3200rpm. Torque  comes on above 3800rpm. Haven't had a chance to see what the top speed is yet. Hope that this helps. Ride Safe

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #4 - 12/18/04 at 01:07:57

Thanks very much for your info guys.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #5 - 12/18/04 at 01:15:15

Hey Greg,
If you are looking for more low down grunt you could do worse than making your pipe longer, 135mm would move things down by 500rpm's (270mm=1000rpm's etc).

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 12/19/04 at 05:14:48

Maybe some kind of fishtail tip on the end of the Raask?

Tongue

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #7 - 12/19/04 at 05:32:01

I have no experience of fishtail things.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #8 - 12/21/04 at 08:31:02

I was going to machine an exhaust insert to help silence KLX (carb area - needle area = silencer outlet area) but not reduce power.
Anyway it was below zero in the garage so I didn't.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Lancer

Reply #9 - 12/27/04 at 09:56:02

GANG,

I have a muffler from the company referenced above, Performance Design, and it is well worth the $.  I happened to contact the owner just when he was removing one of their R&D units from a test bike and was able to buy it for $50, the regular price being about $400 for a pair of them.......these are Harley mufflers for the big road bikes.   It works great, creates backpressure when in the low-mid range and acts like an open pipe when wide open throttle.  I have tried several different muflers and this one is the best...hands down.

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #10 - 12/29/04 at 06:19:35

Exhaust insert is done and fitted, haven't been out yet but it is quieter and should be big enough not to loose power.
The std. outlet is 20mm the one I've made is 40.4mm, just over 4 times the area.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 22:21:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Exhaust performance

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.