Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fuel mileage (Read 44 times)
Patty
Ex Member

Fuel mileage
11/28/04 at 13:36:53

So what kind of fuel mileage can I expect? Hubby gets 45+ with his Volusia. Seems like I have to go on reserve sooner than I expect.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Re: Fuel mileage
Reply #1 - 11/28/04 at 13:41:37

Most of us plan on 100 miles or so before going on reserve. Reserve is good for 25 - 35 miles depending on bike and height of reserve tube. Mine seems to be taller than some I go on reserve sooner but can run pretty far on it. Reserve tube in in the tank valve, fuel is draw above it in normal operation and from the bottom of the tank when you are on reserve. Good idea to run on reserve occasionally to draw any moisture from the bottom of the tank, but don't forget or you'll be a walking rather than riding. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
red2k1
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 11/29/04 at 17:06:53

I have just under 7,000 miles on my 02 ls 650 and over that distance I have averaged just over 60 miles per gallon.  I have gotten as low as 57 mpg and as high as 64 mpg. The bike is not stock -- it has a Jardine exhaust and the carb has been rejetted (using a 157.5 main jet).

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 11/30/04 at 03:12:02

In normal riding you can expect 55-60 as others state.  If you get into some spirited riding fun in the twisties where you are pushing 3rd and 4th gears alot, you can also see the mileage drop in a linear fashion with the higher RPMS.  I have seen 40 MPG in this situation.  It all depends on the engine speed in gears.

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #4 - 11/30/04 at 16:22:14

my reserve kicks in at about 83-87 miles on the tank with about 25 miles that i can count on to go before empty.

i got 32 miles out of the reserve on evening but only 28 another. depends on riding conditions.

any more that about a hundred miles in the saddle and i'm ready to stand for a few minutes.. that's before the chopper seat.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 12/02/04 at 14:38:01

sluggo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
my reserve kicks in at about 83-87 miles on the tank with about 25 miles that i can count on to go before empty.

i got 32 miles out of the reserve on evening but only 28 another. depends on riding conditions.

Does this mean that you've run out of gas 2 times?

Shocked

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #6 - 12/02/04 at 15:16:25

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
Does this mean that you've run out of gas 2 times?

Shocked

yes it does. once on purpose to see how far (i had a gallon can with me) that was  the 32 miles.

the second time was a 500 mile day and i ran out 2.5 miles from home.  called wife she brought me a gallon.

the test run was on rural roads. the second was a freeway run against the wind.  

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 12/02/04 at 15:29:56

I'll be darned...a Savage Pioneer.  I like it.  Maybe another test for you would be to see how long you can go on no oil  Shocked

Just kidding, of course.  I do know that I've squeezed 25 out of reserve but that included some serious downhill rolling in the mountains too.  I just wouldn't recommend that anyone count on that.  It depends on too many things

I say, figure on 20 and get to a pump.

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #8 - 12/02/04 at 16:43:55

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
I'll be darned...a Savage Pioneer.  I like it.  Maybe another test for you would be to see how long you can go on no oil  Shocked

funny you should say that.. it takes a man to admit it, but thats just what happend to my old thumper the 81gn 400.  i had the engine out for several months over winter when i put it back in i didnt check oil level (it was late at night) started her up ran about a mile and poof she was gone.  i was looking for an upgrade at the time it just hastened the deal.

that's what led me to the savage.  

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #9 - 12/03/04 at 07:01:18

hey sluggo, maybe oil is the accessory your savage loves the most!  Grin

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #10 - 12/03/04 at 09:59:46

Susan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
hey sluggo, maybe oil is the accessory your savage loves the most!  Grin

ya got a point there.  running out of oil was bigger than running out of gas.  but if it wouldn't have happened i wouldn't have met all you fine people, so  maybe it was a good thing..

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 12/04/04 at 14:02:30

sluggo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
....i had the engine out for several months over winter when i put it back in i didnt check oil level (it was late at night) started her up ran about a mile and poof she was gone.  i was looking for an upgrade at the time it just hastened the deal.

that's what led me to the savage.  

It was "late" at night.  Got it
8)

IP Logged
Riley_N
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 02/21/24 at 16:32:37

I can ride almost all day on a single tank and still have about .25 a gallon left. Only ran out once

IP Logged
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Reply #13 - 02/24/24 at 15:38:13

WOW!  That's an almost 20 year-old thread brought back to life.  I am totally impressed Riley_N.

My mileage is horrible.  Either I'm too fat, the carb needs more tuning, or I accelerate too hard.  Wait... it's all 3.   Grin

“These go to 11.” --Nigel Tufnel
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #14 - 02/24/24 at 17:54:21

J Mac wrote on 02/24/24 at 15:38:13:
WOW!  That's an almost 20 year-old thread brought back to life.  I am totally impressed Riley_N.

Right!  I did this type resurrection recently myself.  There are some oldies but goodies to keep reviving!

You'll get a lot of answers depending on lots of variable - rider size, driving style, with modifications vs stock, mostly city riding or highway, etc...  50ish is a good ballpark.

Here's some data collection, but it's also subject.  You can drill down a bit into the data and glean a few things.  Or download the data and crunch some numbers using different weightings, tossing out outliers from the analysis.

https://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/suzuki/s40_boulevard

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/16/24 at 20:45:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fuel mileage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.