Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Our Accessories
Reply #15 - 12/06/04 at 05:50:17

I noticed that the Superbrace was not listed for earlier Savages.  

SuperBrace Part#: 3335
Fits Model: Suzuki Savage LS 650/GZ250
Years: (2001-2002)

Since it also listed compatibility with the GZ250, maybe there was a difference in the GZ250 that causes the limitation but I'm not aware of any major differences in previous year Savages.  I think I may give it a try though.  The rubbery/wobbly feeling is something I'd noticed from the first week I bought the Savage.  In fact, I even did several thorough inspections of the front end because I was not accustomed to this feel and wanted to be sure nothing was amiss.  After satisfying myself that all was okay with the bike, I just chalked it up to a lighter bike than I'd been used to and moved on.   While I would prefer a stabler feel, I'm not sure it's worth the $150 it'd cost. It is under consideration though.  Does anyone have enough experience with these devices in general to say whether they provide much difference in actual stability or if it is simply more of difference in the feel?  Your opinions are appreciated.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #16 - 12/06/04 at 05:55:57

I rode a V-MAX once and the front end felt that bad I got off and looked to see if the tire was flat.Definately in need of a fork brace.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
thehoghunter
2004 No Login

Chop Suey

Tampa
Reply #17 - 12/06/04 at 08:38:15

The picture on the web site isn't the same - both my wife's and my Savages are 1996 models (so they did make one for the older models).  

Pics are at http://www.bikepics.com/members/thehoghunter/96savage/

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #18 - 12/06/04 at 08:48:29

I'm still thinking it should be compatible pretty much across the board so far as Savages go.  I looked up the 1998 model (mine) and the 2001 model (referred to by the Superbrace site) on RonAyers.com and the part numbers for the front damper assemblies are identical, as are the part numbers for the steering stems.  That said, I think the superbrace should work with mine if I decide to go that route.  That may just be a generic (not bike-specific) photo they have on the order page.  You're right; it doesn't look like yours and I don't see how the one pictured could fit the Savage without doing something radical like cutting or removing the fender.  I'd bet the one you have is the one they should be showing.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
rke
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

Netherland
Reply #19 - 12/06/04 at 11:22:01

I"ll try to put an url on this forum:

English story about fork braces

I hope it will tell you what you want to know.

P.s. In case the url doesn't work:
http://users.metro2000.net/~cdc/magna/tech%20section%20and%20issues/fork%20br...

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #20 - 12/09/04 at 19:56:23

Okay, I decided to put one on.  I'll let y'all know what I think once I get it and try it out.  I will try to be as objective as possible (trying not to fall prey to the "It runs better now that I washed it..." mindset).

Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #21 - 12/14/04 at 06:18:03

Okay, here's my take.  The SuperBrace is extremely good quality and does fit my '98, even though it says 2001-2004 or something like that.  I notice a definite improvement on uneven surfaces such as rain grooves, etc.  I specifically took her out on some roads that have annoyed me a lot in past for the wobble they induced.  She's much more stable now.  Whether it's worth the cost has to be a personal decision since I'm not sure whether it makes the bike any safer or reduces wear on other parts.  It definitely looks good (the polished aluminum looks almost like chrome) and works well.

Oh, BTW HogHunter... the one pictured is NOT the actual product.  It is arched to get it over the fender.  I received one that looks very much like yours... possibly identical.

thehoghunter
2004 No Login

Chop Suey

Tampa
Reply #22 - 12/14/04 at 07:03:50

Savage_Rob - I should have rode my wife's on some roads that have bothered me in the past - you did a better test than I did!  I might have to take mine off to check out the stock ride vs Superbrace ride.

Still wish they had one for the Seeger chopper kit.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #23 - 12/14/04 at 08:22:06

If you take measurements and send them in, they might have a stock part that fits.  They have quite a few.  Just a thought.

thehoghunter
2004 No Login

Chop Suey

Tampa
Reply #24 - 12/14/04 at 08:37:52

Yea, I talked to them about it back when I got the first one.  They would be happy to make one if SeegerCycle or the parent company that makes the chopper kit gave them the info but didn't seem to want to try to figure out one that might work for just me.  :'(

WWW   IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #25 - 12/15/04 at 02:51:50

The fork brace I had on my 125 was very good at stoping the forks twisting under braking (single disc), should do the same for the Savage.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Frost
2004 No Login

Watch out now....

Boston
Reply #26 - 12/15/04 at 03:17:00

How much of a project is it to put one on? does it require much mechanical know how?

'87 Savage Custom
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #27 - 12/15/04 at 05:11:57

Frost wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
How much of a project is it to put one on? does it require much mechanical know how?

It took all of 5-10 minutes and is about as easy as it gets.  If you can use an allen wrench and a torque wrench, you're set.  I would suggest using a lift so the front wheel is off the ground for this but it's easy to build one if you need to.  Just look in the Technical Corner under "Rikko's Build Your Own Bike Lift/Stand".

Tony
2004 No Login

Saugerties, NY
Reply #28 - 12/19/04 at 07:30:39

I just added one of the LED Helmet lights. I love it.  It took about 4 minutes to install, but I can now be more confident that when I am braking the driver behind me realizes it. The installation was nothing more than replacing the 1157 tail/brake bulb with the transmitter LED bulb. It uses a standard 1157 base so no changes are required. Then I simply atttached the rubberized LED Strip to the back of my helmet using the included sticky tape and I was done. When I hit the brakes the 5 High Intesity LEDS flash for 5 seconds then lock on until I release the brake. The replacement bulb seems to be about twice as bright as the old bulb also.  Another neat feature is your can overide the strip to flash and use your helmet as an emergency flasher. This looks like it would come in handy if you are stuck dead on the side of the road.

-Tony

......Remember;
Where ever you go,
there you are.
  IP Logged
rkutzner
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 12/20/04 at 13:32:30

Where'd you get the helmet lights?  I tried a $12 LED replacement on my S40 and was VERY DISAPPOINTED.  It was half the brightness of the stock bulb.  I am putting on the running/brake light conversion kit, though.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/18/24 at 19:07:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Our Accessories

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.