Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Various and Sundry Tips and Tricks (Read 3844 times)
Arthur
Ex Member

Re: Tips and tricks....
Reply #45 - 11/30/07 at 08:05:16

Be careful about using Armor All on anything.  I used to use it regularly on all my cars vinyl dashboards, and they cracked anyway.  I used it on the plastic tailight lense on my Jaguar and it streaked the plastic to the point that you could feel the  damage with your fingernail.  I then researched Armor All on the Internet and found many bad reports about it doing damage to vinyl over time.  Although I've seen no tests to prove it, the popular theory is that Armor All has chemicals in it which cause the natural oils in the vinyl to dry out, requiring the application of more Armor All.  What I can tell you for sure is that I faithfully used the product on the vinyl dashboards of my cars and they all cracked anyway, and faster than those on other cars of the same age in the same climate. And  I only ever used water to remove the dust before applying fresh Armor All.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #46 - 12/01/07 at 05:52:16

Good warning.  I used it on my dash and just about everything "plastic" in my Malibu.  Armor All clouded the clear panel over the dash instruments and gages.

IP Logged
tinga
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

japanese phillips carb screws
Reply #47 - 01/17/08 at 08:47:51

the carb screws are a japanese phillips head,that is there is a small dot in the crosshairs of the slots. the jap phillips screw driver fits amazingly perfect. i have 1 and never striped the screw heads,you can get from kline tools but the one i use came in a bit set. this is no joke, this is a certified,bonafide tool. my old kzs even had these screws!

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Re: japanese phillips carb screws
Reply #48 - 06/25/08 at 20:24:06

tinga wrote on 01/17/08 at 08:47:51:
the carb screws are a japanese phillips head,that is there is a small dot in the crosshairs of the slots. the jap phillips screw driver fits amazingly perfect. i have 1 and never striped the screw heads,you can get from kline tools but the one i use came in a bit set. this is no joke, this is a certified,bonafide tool. my old kzs even had these screws!

Very true, those screws are VERY easy to strip out using standard Phillips screwdrivers.  Note that the front brake master cylinder cover also "features" these types of screws.  The JIS screwdrivers work great on these.

Here is another source for the JIS screwdrivers:

Ames JIS Screwdrivers

I've bought a few of these screwdrivers from them.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #49 - 08/16/08 at 04:24:07

I used to repair copiers. Back then, most used a 100% silicone oil in the fuser, which is where the toner gets melted into the paper. Its not cheap & is getting hard to get, but it's the Good part of Armor All. I use it & can find no ill effects. Hit an old copier repair place & see what they have. Some copiers used a near syrup & others were watery, pick one you can spread.
When its time to wash & wax, I wash, then use a small paintbrush, trimmed as if for pinstriping, & hit the plastic & rubber things I dont want wax on, besides, they need protected.
Loads cheaper than Maguiars & better than Armorall, since there are no chemicals that evaporate.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #50 - 08/25/08 at 15:21:02

Use rubbing alcohol to remove and install handlebar grips.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Electrent
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #51 - 09/14/08 at 16:26:25

Hello all. Yesterday I discovered that a new Savage signal light flasher goes for over 60 dollars plus 15% tax! So I went to the auto supply store and a Tridon HD12 plugs right in and works for 10 dollars. I used a zip tie to attach it to the original flasher's bracket.

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #52 - 09/18/08 at 02:07:25

Savage_Greg wrote on 08/19/07 at 08:53:46:
I don't know why I never thought of this before, and maybe other's already use this trick....

Anyone that has removed the clutch in your Savage knows that reassembly can be a real pain in the butt.  Lining up all the tabs on the friction and drive plates while sliding the whole assembly into the basket can be frustrating.

I realized yesterday that any easier way is possible, especially if you don't need to separate the plates (as in changing the cam chain)...

After removing the tab washer and nut...simply grab a couple flat washers and reinstall 2 of the springs on the pressure plate.  Run the screws down until you can no longer wiggle any of the plates and then just slide the whole thing out...no messing with the wave washer or the 1st plate.

You could also remove the entire clutch at this point, and you wouldn't have to line anything up on reassembly...the trick is using the springs.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b277/gmdinusa/Clutch_Plates_Out.jpg

To be honest though...this vision didn't come to me until I was going to install the clutch after being disassembled for months....

In this scenario or if you are changing plates, slide all the plates onto the clutch hub in the proper order.  Then slide in the pressure plate and add the springs, washers and bolts, but leave them loose enough to wiggle the friction plates....

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b277/gmdinusa/Clutch_Plates_In_1.jpg

...then take the assembly and adjust the plates enough to get the hub lined up on the countershaft splines.  Then wiggle the friction plates into the basket one at a time...

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b277/gmdinusa/Clutch_Plates_In_2.jpg

There you go, and when I have more time, I'll post another trick...Tongue

Sorry, Greg, the pics are gone... Tongue

Or is it just me ?  Undecided

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #53 - 09/30/08 at 02:52:56

The stock petcock vac line is cheap and seems to be at the heart of a lot of "bike won't run" postings. Spend a dollar to get a foot of thicker walled, same ID automotive vacuum line and matching clips.  Here is a picture of my original hose & slinky wrap and the new hose.

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
DavetheDog
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Richmond, VA
Reply #54 - 04/09/09 at 11:39:21

EssForty wrote on 09/30/08 at 02:52:56:
The stock petcock vac line is cheap and seems to be at the heart of a lot of "bike won't run" postings. Spend a dollar to get a foot of thicker walled, same ID automotive vacuum line and matching clips.  Here is a picture of my original hose & slinky wrap and the new hose.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_2NU0p82vl5Y/SOH2tya1tNI/AAAAAAAAAF4/K8xRLV3Dpdw/s40...

Excellent and affordable tip. I bought some today at my local napa for about $1/foot after finding my stock hose had cracked right at the nipple.

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #55 - 04/10/09 at 05:51:00

What is the reasoning behind the wire that surrounds that tube?

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
DavetheDog
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Richmond, VA
Reply #56 - 04/10/09 at 06:02:52

SimonTuffGuy wrote on 04/10/09 at 05:51:00:

I may be wrong but I think it is to prevent the tube from kinking since the walls are fairly thin and of course to provide some degree of protection.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #57 - 04/12/09 at 21:11:22

SimonTuffGuy wrote on 04/10/09 at 05:51:00:

My guess:  To spiff up the appearance.

This is, after all, a cruiser, however cheap.

The same dealio goes, BTW, for the spring on the front brake hydraulic hose (on my bike, anyway, see my signature).

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #58 - 06/02/09 at 19:42:46

Great tips, guys,  Here are a couple I didn't see:

Substitute marine '303' UV protectant for anything you'd normally armor-all. It is expensive but good.

No impact driver? Set your B&D, Makita or whatever brand electric drill on reverse and let the drill's clutch hammer it out.

Shoot compressed air under a hand grip to break the glue bond.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #59 - 06/04/09 at 06:37:13

Oh yeah, here's one I may have originated through my own engine-uity and profound brainy smurf sense of uh, thrift  Roll Eyes

So a rock flew up and dinged your fork tube, not so bad that it causes a leak right away OR you can smooth it out pretty good with a jeweler's file so you don't have to replace the tube.

Loosen the triple clamps and rotate the tube periodically so that the wear is leveled.  That is, the defect wears on a different part of the fork seal with each small rotation.  Turn it just enough so the ding is past any groove it may have worn in the seal.  Do this every 1000 miles or so and with any luck the seal will last almost as long as if the tube was never dinged.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 10:21:59

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › Various and Sundry Tips and Tricks

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.