Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Various and Sundry Tips and Tricks (Read 3844 times)
barb36jack31
2005 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Heathrow, FL
Re: Tips and tricks....
Reply #30 - 09/18/05 at 17:59:19

One way to loosen the phillips head screws that hold on the float bowl - the front ones are readily accessed and come loose quite nicely.  The 2 rear ones are a different matter.  The ones on my 05 S40 were so close to the battery box cover that I could not get a phillips head screwdriver onto them.  The handle of the screwdriver would slant the bit so that it would not seat properly in the screwhead. an offset screwdriver did not work either.

I bought a 3 1/2 in long "2 phillips driver.  The kind you use in a drill.  A 1/4 in. open end or box wrench fits perfectly onto the driver and with just a small tug, the screw loosens.  Worked perfectly and now I don"t have to remove the battery box to pull my float bowl.

By the way - I am a NEWBIE and I think this web site is
great!

Jack H

05 S40 , air needle adjustment, white spacer, 152.5 main jet, K&N filter, SuperTrapp muffler, Progressive shocks , sissy bar off
  IP Logged
SavageBiker
Ex Member

Reply #31 - 02/18/06 at 21:19:43

I forgot where I read about it but using a nickel (yes, a $0.05 coin) on a hot exhaust will remove shoe rubber and just about anything else that you unintentionally melted on your bike.

At first I didn't believe it but I tried everything else and nothing worked so I had nothing to lose.  Apparently, the metal in the coin is softer than the chrome so it doesn't scratch.  Worked like a charm for me - it even removed burnt on dress pants that were scortched when I filled up on my way home from work one day.  Of course I'm much more careful now.

Oh yeah, be careful not to get burned by the exhaust or the nickel, the coin heats up quickly.

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #32 - 11/14/06 at 03:50:57

Trouble getting the clutch cover off?
Use the clutch lever to loosen up the gasket.

Geetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #33 - 11/18/06 at 15:37:13

Re; Squeeky belt, I use Gulf wax like is used for canning. Candle wax is harder.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #34 - 11/20/06 at 12:44:07

KenGLong wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
So I say to myself, "I'm tired of lifting my whole foot to downshift. I think I'll adjust the linkage so the pedal sits a bit lower." I learned something in this process. I learned that the front of the linkage rod has reverse threads. Too bad I didn't learn this before I tried to loosen it the normal way! I seriously rounded off the corners of the lock nut. So, off I go to the hardware store to get some more. I get a pack of five nuts and head home. Shoot. Remember I said the front threads of the linkage rod were reversed? Well, so is the lock nut. <sigh>

Ok you stupid little reverse thread lock nut, you asked for it. I'll just grind down your flats to the next size smaller and use a different wrench. Hah! That'll teach you to fool with me.

Shifter feels much better now.

Ken in Albuquerque

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
sparkett

never ride faster
than your guardian
angel flys!

central florida
Reply #35 - 01/24/07 at 15:29:04

at walmart they sell neverdull, comes in a can and works great on all metal. dont know whats in there, besides the inside of a pillow, but its good stuff! Grin oooo and ooo steel wool, from a paint or furniture refinishing store polishes the aluminum and chrome pretty well. if its really bad and old( oxidised) it takes time but works pretty well. . Mothers billet and chrome works nicely too.

1987 pet thingy, dyna muffler,dyna jet carb,K&N cone filter, still working on her!
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #36 - 04/13/07 at 07:01:38

A crumpled piece of aluminum foil rubbed on chrome covers small scratches and gets rid of small rust pits.

PAM cooking spray takes dried on bugs right off of paint and chrome.

A bamboo chopstick (or two) is great for all sorts of safe poking around (where did that O ring get to?) and can also be used to scrape off bugs and stickers by shaving one end into a chisel point.

A tiny flask funnel works perfectly for adding water the the battery or to guide lube oil into a tight area (thus saving removing the covers...again).

Replacing the rear seat allen style screw with a phillips head saves the seat vinyl from getting torn up.  It was a pain to try and undo the allen screw due to the clearance problem of the L shaped wrench. Now its a straight up breeze!

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #37 - 06/04/07 at 22:50:03

skatnbnc wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
A crumpled piece of aluminum foil rubbed on chrome covers small scratches and gets rid of small rust pits.

PAM cooking spray takes dried on bugs right off of paint and chrome.

A bamboo chopstick (or two) is great for all sorts of safe poking around (where did that O ring get to?) and can also be used to scrape off bugs and stickers by shaving one end into a chisel point.

A tiny flask funnel works perfectly for adding water the the battery or to guide lube oil into a tight area (thus saving removing the covers...again).

Replacing the rear seat allen style screw with a phillips head saves the seat vinyl from getting torn up.  It was a pain to try and undo the allen screw due to the clearance problem of the L shaped wrench. Now its a straight up breeze!

Good ideas.

We changed our seat bolts to allen head years ago.  Same idea as phillips screws.  Either way, I have no idea what Suzuki was thinking because I've actually tried to help someone take off their seat using the stock toolkit....but they also had saddle bags too.  Impossible combination.  Luckily a biker came by with a socket set.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #38 - 06/04/07 at 22:57:38

Another one...I've mentioned it before...

...and I don't know if anyone else has posted it in a separate topic.

Anyway, it concerns installing the tank.  I just used this trick again tonight which made me think of posting....

If you want to make it easier to get it on with no cussing, pushing and beating.  Then rub your rubbers generously with Vaseline.

I always keep a jar handy.  Makes those rubbers slide right in there.  It's even handy on those other rubber toys like o-rings Tongue

IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #39 - 06/05/07 at 12:42:03

Another alternitive to Armor All, and works a lot better is Black Magic Leather Conditioner.  Don't collect the dust and dirt like Armor All and last a lot longer.
As far as polish goes, all I use is Mothers Sinwax, Chrome Polish, Aluninum Mag Polish, except an occasional use of Never Dull.
Smiley All great products  Smiley 8)

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #40 - 06/05/07 at 20:51:09

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Another one...I've mentioned it before...

...and I don't know if anyone else has posted it in a separate topic.

Anyway, it concerns installing the tank.  I just used this trick again tonight which made me think of posting....

If you want to make it easier to get it on with no cussing, pushing and beating.  Then rub your rubbers generously with Vaseline.

I always keep a jar handy.  Makes those rubbers slide right in there.  It's even handy on those other rubber toys like o-rings Tongue

I use the same concept, except I use silicone spray.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #41 - 08/19/07 at 08:53:46

I don't know why I never thought of this before, and maybe other's already use this trick....

Anyone that has removed the clutch in your Savage knows that reassembly can be a real pain in the butt.  Lining up all the tabs on the friction and drive plates while sliding the whole assembly into the basket can be frustrating.

I realized yesterday that any easier way is possible, especially if you don't need to separate the plates (as in changing the cam chain)...

After removing the tab washer and nut...simply grab a couple flat washers and reinstall 2 of the springs on the pressure plate.  Run the screws down until you can no longer wiggle any of the plates and then just slide the whole thing out...no messing with the wave washer or the 1st plate.

You could also remove the entire clutch at this point, and you wouldn't have to line anything up on reassembly...the trick is using the springs.

To be honest though...this vision didn't come to me until I was going to install the clutch after being disassembled for months....

In this scenario or if you are changing plates, slide all the plates onto the clutch hub in the proper order.  Then slide in the pressure plate and add the springs, washers and bolts, but leave them loose enough to wiggle the friction plates....

...then take the assembly and adjust the plates enough to get the hub lined up on the countershaft splines.  Then wiggle the friction plates into the basket one at a time...

There you go, and when I have more time, I'll post another trick...Tongue

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #42 - 08/22/07 at 08:53:39

When disassembling or taking off engine covers:

Here's  a tip: when you take the bolts off, take cardboard, draw an outline of the thing the bolts are coming off (Head, side cover etc etc) then punch the bolt thru the cardboard in the appropriate spot on the outlined cardboard.  Makes reassembly easier.  This is one of the things that saved me when I bought my bike with the engine in pieces.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #43 - 08/22/07 at 10:26:41

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
When disassembling or taking off engine covers:

Here's  a tip: when you take the bolts off, take cardboard, draw an outline of the thing the bolts are coming off (Head, side cover etc etc) then punch the bolt thru the cardboard in the appropriate spot on the outlined cardboard.  Makes reassembly easier.  This is one of the things that saved me when I bought my bike with the engine in pieces.

Sounds like my post from Oct 2004....

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1099227...

Very good Grin

IP Logged
Tim_Krantz
YaBB Newbies

ohio, bridgeport, USA
Reply #44 - 11/14/07 at 05:37:42

For the very best bug remover money can buy. Use a fabric softener dryer sheet wetted with water. Don't believe me? Even gets week old bug guts off with NO hard rubbing.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/24/24 at 22:29:57

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › Various and Sundry Tips and Tricks

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.