Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Various and Sundry Tips and Tricks (Read 3842 times)
Jon
Ex Member

Various and Sundry Tips and Tricks
08/26/04 at 15:45:09

> I used a blow dryer.
Good sticker tip!

Now, I've had the horrible experience of marching out to buy a minty used bike only to find that the guy, just minutes before, had scrubbed road tar off the pipes for me with an SOS pad.  Do you know what steel wool does to chrome?!!   Shocked

If there are burned-on bugs and tar spots, use a cleaner wax like Mequiars (maroon bottle).  It will remove the junk without scratching.

If the chrome has surface rust, scrub it with an old toothbrush and Turtle Wax Chrome Polish.  The rust will disappear.

If you have a blued header, Blue-Away used gently does a good job removing it.

-------------------

Don't use Armor-All on the seat.  You will slide onto the tank during hard braking and suffer a voice change.

Don't use Armor-All on the tires.  The bike 'will' go down in a corner.

-------------------

Motorcycle screws are power-tightened on the assembly line.  If you are going to own a motorcycle, buy an impact screwdriver.  It's absolutely mandatory to prevent mashed screw heads.

-------------------

If the drive-belt squeaks, rub a little bees wax on it.  That's what the Harley shops apply for $65.

« Last Edit: 12/08/12 at 12:59:32 by Oldfeller--FSO »  
  IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Re: Tips and tricks....
Reply #1 - 08/27/04 at 10:26:59

Quote:
Don't use Armor-All on the tires.

Don't put it on the tread!

However you can squirt a little on a rag, just damp, then you can smear some on the sidewall. Don't squirt so much it runs! It looks good and helps keep those little cracks away. 8)

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Jon
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/27/04 at 11:01:27

> However you can squirt a little on a rag, just damp, then you can smear some on the sidewall.

But, if you ride in the rain the stuff will make it's way onto the tread.  I recently scooped up a GS500 rider who had that experience.  Be careful.

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #3 - 08/27/04 at 15:14:51

Revision. Never apply Armor-All to your GS500's tires, then go ride the rain; Your tires might get wet and skid. Wink

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Honda_fan
2004 No Login

Go Ride!

Antioch, IL
Reply #4 - 08/27/04 at 18:30:28

Always try to tighten a frozen nut or bolt first before loosening.  Kroil and Silikroil are the best penetrating oils bar none. You can get them off the web from Krano labs

IP Logged
savagethumper
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 08/28/04 at 07:34:14

I've used oven cleaner on the pipes to remove rubber marks.  Let the bike get hot, and spray it on.  Mine wiped right off.

IP Logged
savagethumper
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 08/28/04 at 07:35:58

I guess everybody knows by now, that the Savage stickers on the side of the bike, below the rider, are not clear coated.  They come off pretty easy.  I'm not about to tackle the tank stickers, though.

IP Logged
Honda_fan
2004 No Login

Go Ride!

Antioch, IL
Reply #7 - 08/28/04 at 19:26:15

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
What you suggest does work sometimes, but isn't the best idea, especially for someone inexpereienced.  What you intend to do is break the threads loose with this technique, while not rounding off the corners of the bolt or nut, however if you do this to a stubborn bolt that won't budge because it is already over torqued you run the risk of breaking the bolt.

As always, a little penetrating oil is always helpful, like you said.

Has not failed me in 25 years of working with bolts and screws. Only talking of breaking them loose not off. Yes it takes some feel and experience.

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #8 - 08/29/04 at 06:50:35

Righty tighty,Lefty loosey most of the time Cheesy
Like the little belt pulley is left hand thread.

HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Munson_kl279
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 08/30/04 at 05:35:24

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Another trick when possible....

If you are having a hard time with a phillips screw and it wants to round out and you don't have impact tools...then reach into your toolbox for that OLD beat up phillips screw drvier.  Hold the screw driver firmly in the screw head, and smack the handle solidly with a hammer, 2 or 3 times.  This tends to loosen the torque in the threads (especially steel into aluminum) and you can then use your good screw driver to turn the screw.

This also works with allen head bolts if you have a "pin punch" that will fit in the hole to hit on the bottom.

There is actually a tool that I just picked up from Harbor Freight that is made to do this.  The kit comes with 3 philips and 3 flat head bits and you can use your 1/2" sockets with it too.  When you hit it with a hammer it turns the screw or bolt out about a quarter turn at a time.  It works great!

IP Logged
Jon
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 08/30/04 at 14:53:03

> Yo!  Harbor Freight !!!

a.k.a. Harbor Fright

Ever see one of their metal lathes up close?  Crude as a barnacle, they 'require' a tear-down and detailing before application.  Most of the handtools are adequate, although the steel tends to be soft.

IP Logged
Jon
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 08/30/04 at 15:12:01

Gitarzan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Yeah, so does a Harley.  What's your point?   Wink

Harleys aren't bad, they're just overpriced.  Alongside the LS650 their paint, polish, upholstery, and chrome is much better.  Mechanically, since the early 90's they have been reliable.

The point was that a lot of stuff sold by Fright is junk, and they are not happy to refund your money without hassling you.  I'd bet that their impact screwdriver has a high failure rate from the internal spring sagging or fracturing.

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #12 - 08/30/04 at 16:23:21

I know Harleys are just fine.  Still, H-Ds are way low on my want list.  

AND
I've NEVER heard of anyone having a problem with Harbor Freight and returns/refunds/exchanges.  (At least around here) My $119 compressor had a bad dial after 4 months, and they took it and gave me a brand new one with no questions asked.  I needed my receipt, but that's fair.   Their tools aren't premium, but for what they are, they are a deal.  I bought a compressor for use once or twice a year.  It was a deal.  And their extended warranties aren't ripping you off for an arm and a leg, they are priced fairly and reasonably.

Now, Sears refused to replace a broken 4-1/2" Craftsman vise because they no longer sold a 4-1/2" vise (the mainscrew bent).  They wanted to give me the lowest price ever credit on it.  I told them I'd rather have the satisfaction of throwing it thru their window.  I didn't of course, since I'd already tipped my hand  Lips Sealed

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
Munson_kl279
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 08/31/04 at 07:12:05

I haven't ever heard of any problems with returns in my area either.  The biggest thing is if you are buying a larger power tool you better buy the warranty or good luck getting it fixed.

IP Logged
Sgt_Mike
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 10/27/04 at 05:42:12

I bought a hand impact screwdriver years ago from Sears. I can't count how many times this tool got me OUT of trouble. If you're going to buy one, buy quality, it may cost a little more but the benefits from quality can't be argued. You bought a quality bike, work on it with quality tools. Semper Fi & be safe.
                                                            Sgt Mike

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 09:50:36

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › Various and Sundry Tips and Tricks

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.