Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I'm "new", too! (Read 2 times)
dunky
Ex Member

I'm "new", too!
11/20/04 at 17:37:38

That does it!  I'm climbin' aboard, too.  Thanks to sluggo.
My husband rides a '99 Intruder LC 1500 and recently hooked up with Intruder Alert.
He showed me this site a couple weeks ago and I've "lurked" a few times since.   Smiley
We've been riding our own since '76.  I had a 250 Kawasaki.  After a couple years I wanted a "big" bike!  I'm 4'10".  Our dealer suggested a Suzuki Savage or Honda Rebel, but he didn't have either.  I called around & only found 1 within driving distance, a used '86 Savage.  My husband put my "little" bike in the pickup bed for me and I headed down the road.  It was late October, cold & nasty with flurries!  But I wouldn't have another day off 'til who knows when.  I rode it less than a mile, and came home that evening with a "big" bike that actually fit me!  It was pretty "rough".  So rough it was stuck back in a corner of a shed, parts missing or damaged, with dust a mile deep.  Well, not quite.   Smiley  The dealer agreed to replace those parts with new.  They arrived in record time, I had the tank & fenders painted & it was ready when spring arrived.
Only 2 disappointments:  1st, right away, NO trip meter!  I used a washable marker & rubbed it off to change.  2nd, later of course, a very unpredictable ignition problem, which I was later told, was somewhat common with the '86.
We live just N of the IA Quad Cities.  Fall of '94 we made plans for a June '95 ride S to KY, thru the Smokies, on to the Appalachians, Poconos, Niagara Falls & back home.  Our dealer got wind of the plan & told me the Savage was "coming back" & there was no way he would let me make that trip on the '86 with it's ignition problems.  
His 1st "95 Savage was in my garage in record time.
But, still NO trip meter!  So, thanks to your padlock suggestion, Sluggo, I now have a "Trip Meter"!
I've tried to go "bigger" several times & always come back to the Savage.  Last time I came back was after 25,000 miles on a beautiful, burgandy & gray, "rumbling" 800 Intruder.  I had 1" shaved off the seat and 1/2" added to the sole & heal of my boots to get my feet flat, but you still need that "extra", which I didn't have.  Plus, my short arms couldn't fully utilize the bike's turn capacity.  Not good.   Sad  I traded it in last year for my current ride, my 4th Savage, a slightly used '95 (900 miles).
My husband hopes I stay "home" now.  "Home" being on a Suzuki Savage, of course!
Oh, yeah . . . the trip was fantastic!  And that was before the "Dragon's Tail" at Deals Gap was widened and resurfaced!   Smiley

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Re: I'm "new", too!
Reply #1 - 11/21/04 at 08:03:07

Welcome.

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #2 - 11/21/04 at 08:39:37

dunky wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
That does it!  I'm climbin' aboard, too.  Thanks to sluggo.

GLAD TO BE OF ASSISTANCE

honestly the luggage lock as trip meter idea, i picked  it up in another forum. only the placement is original.

enjoy.
sluggo

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #3 - 11/21/04 at 19:32:38

dunky wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
.... I'm 4'10".  ....  I traded it in last year for my current ride, my 4th Savage, a slightly used '95 (900 miles).

Welcome.  My wife has the opposite problem -- she's too long for the Savage.  We need pictures of you and your bike for the Gallery.

WWW   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #4 - 11/21/04 at 20:22:44

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
 We need pictures of you and your bike for the Gallery.

so how can i get on the gallery list.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #5 - 11/21/04 at 20:48:01

I'm working my way down the member pages basically looking at the posts of anyone with more than a couple and who has posted within the last month or so.  Mostly swiping the pictures so that there is no worry about the hosting site going away and leaving red x's (which has already happened on some posts.)  (As always there has to be the exception, thehoghunter, who's site looks to be quite permanent. )

I'm up to page 4.  You're on page 8.

WWW   IP Logged
thehoghunter
2004 No Login

Chop Suey

Tampa
Reply #6 - 11/22/04 at 05:09:18

My site, although free, is still a pain in the neck when it gets too many hits - when I first posted a link on Bert's site, so many folks hit it that the other half got nothing - not even a notice about too many hits.  You would probably be better off 'swiping' the pics or asking if the folks if there are updated ones!  Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #7 - 11/22/04 at 06:49:30

Dunky - Welcome to the site. I'm 4' 10" as well and I love my Savage!

Paladin - The gallery is coming along nicely. My pics aren't showing up yet though  :'(. Just so you know I have asked John about the space for the gallery but haven't gotten an answer yet. I'll send him a follow up note today.

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #8 - 11/22/04 at 10:39:27

thehoghunter wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
My site, although free, is still a pain in the neck when it gets too many hits - when I first posted a link on Bert's site, so many folks hit it that the other half got nothing - not even a notice about too many hits.  You would probably be better off 'swiping' the pics or asking if the folks if there are updated ones!  Smiley  

I'll mirror it then, when I get a round tuit.

WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #9 - 11/22/04 at 11:01:30

Susan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Dunky - Welcome to the site. I'm 4' 10" as well and I love my Savage!

Paladin - The gallery is coming along nicely. My pics aren't showing up yet though  :'(. Just so you know I have asked John about the space for the gallery but haven't gotten an answer yet. I'll send him a follow up note today.
You're on page 5 of the member list -- I just started that page with cphilip.

I started with computer communications in 1981, ran a BBS 82-88, was a moderator on BBS forums and DSLReports, started my own website and forums, got into Blogging -- been there, done that, got the t-shirt.  Site owners, once the site is up and running, tend to get distracted.  Soon, later, never -- it's not a big deal.  I'm keeping my site until I lose my vanity, I've plenty of bandwidth available, so it's not really costing me anything.

I'm doing this mostly as therapy -- it is relaxing to cut and paste code and tweak pictures.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 05:46:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I'm "new", too!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.