Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
squeeky drive belt (Read 233 times)
marty62253
2004 No Login

N. Massapequa, N.Y.
squeeky drive belt
11/17/04 at 10:56:33

i'm new to his bike - or the other way around - either way - i have a 2002 savage that needs some t.l.c. to make worthy of putting on the street.
one of many things in my way is the drive belt squeeks. - the belt looks to be riding/rubbing on the outside edge of both pulleys - how do i get the belt to stop rubbing against the side of the pulleys?  again, it is rubbing the outside edge of both pulleys??
also-the belt looks dull - is it ok to use anything to brighten it up a little - like armorall??

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Re: squeeky drive belt
Reply #1 - 11/18/04 at 03:42:26

Do NOT spray anything on the drive belt. Clean it with saop and rinse with water. When dry put some talcum powder on.

Think your belt need aligning.
Get the rear wheel off the floor, loosen-up the rear axle, loosen-up the adjusters and push the rearwheel forward a bit.

Start tightening the rear adjusters while rotating the wheel and look if the belt stays in the middle. Correct tension is when you can rotate the belt 90 degr. on the bottom. Use the lines as reference.

Tighten the rear axle and lock the adjusters, done
greetz
Kropatchek

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #2 - 11/30/04 at 03:07:25

Kropatchek wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Do NOT spray anything on the drive belt. Clean it with saop and rinse with water. When dry put some talcum powder on.

Think your belt need aligning.
Get the rear wheel off the floor, loosen-up the rear axle, loosen-up the adjusters and push the rearwheel forward a bit.

Start tightening the rear adjusters while rotating the wheel and look if the belt stays in the middle. Correct tension is when you can rotate the belt 90 degr. on the bottom. Use the lines as reference.

Tighten the rear axle and lock the adjusters, done
greetz
Kropatchek

Very correct.  Good adjustment advice.

Also, it has been my experience that the drive belt squeaks more when it is too tight rather than being misaligned (not severely misaligned?).  The belt does tend to rub one side of the pulley slightly even when the wheel is evenly positioned in the swingarm...after all it floats against rubber bushings in the hub.

If you have a 2002, maybe you are also lucky enough to have the tension gage and the owners manual to check the tension.  The tension and alignment adjustments are done at the same time.

IP Logged
red2k1
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 11/30/04 at 13:09:41

Ditto, ditto.

Proper belt tension is critical.  If you feel compelled to "lubricate" the drive belt, Harley does sell a drive belt lub.  Personally, I just keep the belt and pullies clean with the belt aligned at proper tension.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 12/05/04 at 06:23:12

red2k1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Ditto, ditto.

Proper belt tension is critical.  If you feel compelled to "lubricate" the drive belt, Harley does sell a drive belt lub.  Personally, I just keep the belt and pullies clean with the belt aligned at proper tension.

Just gotta remember that lubing the belt could allow dirt and crap to stick to it which will cause abrasion to the belt and pulleys.  After all, you don't lube the belts under the hood of your car either.

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #5 - 02/05/05 at 10:38:27

I agree with Greg_650, don't put anything on that belt that would cause grit to stick on it.

After my repaint, I had noise coming from the rear of the bike.  Turned out I had the drive belt too tight.  Loosened up the bolts on the rear axle and scooted the tire forward about one "mark" on the swingarm and the noise went away.  I've bid on an original Savage tension tool on ebay, as my bike came with no tool kit.  Don't bid against bobo383, and I'll let you borrow it. 

I centered the belt on the rear pulley by lifting the bike with my engine hoist (by the shock mounts, with the seat off) and letting it idle in high gear, about 20mph or so, while adjusting the tension bolts to get the belt dead center.  Definitely not for the faint of heart - you could get really hurt if you don't pay attention.  Just like riding I guess.

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #6 - 02/06/05 at 19:45:50

Hey! I was gonna bid on the toolkit.
My bike did not have one either. Undecided

That is the 1st time I have actually seen the contents;

Would the kind Savagsters could confirm this photo is all all there is to the tool kit. I could get by w/ just the tensioner, however looks like it is the bulk of the cost of the kit so might as well get the whole shootin match.

96220-24B00 CHECKER DR BELT   $18.62
09800-21012 TOOL ASSY   $26.69

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #7 - 02/06/05 at 20:28:18

Looks alot better than the tool kits that came with my 3-wheelers in the 80s.  Good luck, one of us will hopefully wind up with it.

Arlington Texas
  IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Reply #8 - 02/07/05 at 03:24:04

@mr650
That's exactly what you need, the complete contents of the Savage toolkit.
It's not of the greatest quality, but the sparkplug socket saves you from chasing around for one.
Good buy for the complete kit.

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #9 - 02/07/05 at 07:32:26

Thanks Kropatchek,

From left to right the kit photo appears to have:

deep socket (size?)
box wrench (size?)
pliers
socket handle/punch??
reversable screwdiver, flat & phillips
sparkplug socket ?
box wrench extention?
screwdriver handle
belt tension tool
small metric combo wrench (size?)
medium metric combo wrench (size?)

The belt tension tool and the spark plug wrench appear to be the only non-std. tools that you can't get elsewhere.
The spark plug wrench is cut so that you won't have to pull the tank, that makes it worth the cost of the kit alone!
I have the reverable screwdriver, pliers and the combo wrenches already from previous kits.
Bobo, The ebay used kit price now has exceeded the Ron Ayres new, shipped price, hooray for eBay. What some will pay for eBay junk amazes me. Roll Eyes

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #10 - 02/07/05 at 18:29:00

I saw it, too.  Thanks for thinking of me.  I didn't know about the custom no-tank-removal spark plug tool, you're right that's worth Ron Ayers' price of the kit! Tongue

Arlington Texas
  IP Logged
reeko
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

Slovak Republic
Reply #11 - 02/07/05 at 23:05:22

Please could anybody tell me the exact length that makes the belt tension tool in correct possition??

Reeko 8)
  IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Reply #12 - 02/08/05 at 07:22:48

The correct position for the belttool you find with your hand at the following position.
Feel on the underside just aft of the lower belt cover. There's a small bracket with a hole in it. Put the body of the tool in there. The other side on the belt at approx. 90 degrees. The correct tension is the middle of the 3 stripes on the plunjer.

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

PS when greg has time he willpost a picture, won't you greg?

IP Logged
reeko
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

Slovak Republic
Reply #13 - 02/08/05 at 23:35:53

Kropatchek..  Cheesy
I'v got Clymer manual so I know how to do it with the tool.. but my problem is that I don't have that tool, so I wanted to know the correct lenght to make my own tool or something like that..  8)

Reeko 8)
  IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Reply #14 - 02/09/05 at 05:20:20

reeko. I'm sorry if I understand you wrongly.
I could give you the length of the tool, however that's of NO use to anyone.
There's a spring inside and who knows the tension of that.
If the lool is not available tighten the belt untill you can twist it with your fingers for 90 degrees.

Greetz
Kropatchek

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 00:37:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › squeeky drive belt

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.