IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Re: Fuel Tank
Reply #1 - 11/17/04 at 19:55:23

No photo's. there are 2 bolts that hold the seat to the frame, in the corners, 10mm hex, lift the seat back up and slide it rearward. Then undo the speedo cable from the transmission being careful not to loose the sealing washer and noting how it is routed. Remove both the fuel line and vaccum line from the fuel control valve (danced around that one for the censor), remove the 2 bolts at the back of the tank, noting the relationship of the washers, grommets, and spacers. If you do want to scratch the paint tape off the frame near the vavle as it will have to be forced by the LH frame rail. then twist the tank clockwise and firmly pull it up and back. It will slide off 2 more rubber grommets in the front but need to have the wire harness from the speedo disconnected before completely removing it. Some one to help is very useful at this point, espically if the tank has much fuel in it. The connector has a retaining clip that will have to be depressed to release it. Pull the tank straight up get the speedo cable clear of the engine and frame area. After a couple times it is easy.
Smiley

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
giom-650
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 11/18/04 at 05:47:25

Thanks,
I'm getting ready to install a dynojet upjet kit to go with the SuperTrapp I installed. Grin

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #3 - 11/18/04 at 21:05:59

Note:  the above procedure works for most tanks.  There is some variance in frame width apparently.  Maybe year to year, maybe day to day.  Angry

My tank can come off that way, with much effort, but will not go back on unless the petcaulk is removed.   Undecided

I've heard of other bikes that it will not come off that way at all.

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #4 - 11/19/04 at 00:58:52

SadMy '03 Savage is one of those Bikes ... have tried and tried, but cannot anyhow, anyway get my tank off (or on) unless I first drain it and then remove the petcawk (have to spell it that way, or evil censor will convert to pet-thingy ... which sounds even more perverse! Wink) altogether. Removing the gas tank (particularly in order to service the spark plug) is one of my major pet peeves with the LS650 ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 11/19/04 at 07:03:07

I'll admit, I do have to twist and wrestle mine to get it off and the petco.ck does scratch the frame (which I'm about to reprimer and put electrical tape over) but it does come off.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
giom-650
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 11/30/04 at 11:20:27

I have the 2002. I had to drain the tank and take off the fuel valve to get the tank off. I removed the carb and upjetted with a dynojet. Everything is straightforward except removing the carb screws. Be careful.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 12/04/04 at 13:11:45

There haven't been any changes to the Savage frame between years.  You may think that it won't come off without removing the petc_ock, but it will.  You have to push it to the left after you raise it a little.  No need to drain or remove.

Oh yeah, it will scratch the tank because it is just difficult to gently slide the tank off the bushing mounts

IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 12/04/04 at 19:33:02

Its Petcock.  (the filter will not let me say that!) So include "Pet" and "Male Rooster".

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 12/05/04 at 06:17:33

cphilip wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
Its Petcock.  (the filter will not let me say that!) So include "Pet" and "Male Rooster".

Petrooster?  (a rooster is male Smiley )

IP Logged
Doug Keely

Reply #10 - 12/07/04 at 18:16:28

Just finshed removing my tank on my 95 LS650.

I had to pull it in the direction of the "fuel vavle" Smiley and toward the back of the bike.  Also had to remove driver seat first.

Don't know how similar your 03 is so this may not help.

Actually, getting it back on was much harder.

Later

IP Logged
giom-650
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 12/08/04 at 05:40:57

It's much easier when you drain the tank and remove the petkock, 2 screws. Also, you can turn the tank upside down after removal for speedometer access. Grin

IP Logged
Smoknweelz
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 04/15/05 at 18:52:29

Well, I suspected I had a Fouled Spark plug and the internet gods sent me to you guys....

I tried with a little help from my friend... and y'all's advice, and thanks to all the hints, removal was actually easier than I thought it'd be.  
So to say thank you, Here are the Pics I took of the process...

First Remove the Seat and 2 rear screws that hold the tank down as described very well above,

Then disconnect the Tranny Cable...

http://predator.bikepics.com/pics/suzuki-savage-98-bikepics-332731.jpg  (Bigger version)

Next Disconnect the Air and Fuel lines...

http://predator.bikepics.com/pics/suzuki-savage-98-bikepics-332733.jpg

Now Shimmy and Shake, Wiggle and Twist, it is best to have a buddy at this point to hold the bike from falling...

There are simply 2 rubber bumpers you need to slide it off of to get the tank to remove.  Once it is in your hands, you will see the Speedo Wire you will need to disconnect.  And Viola  You've done it!

http://predator.bikepics.com/pics/suzuki-savage-98-bikepics-332734.jpg

To put it back on takes a few bad words, but keep in mind the idea is to get it back onto the rubber bumpers, at this point I held the bike still from the seat area, and my friend pulled the tank toward him in place.  It slid right on when the alignment was just right.  Good luck guys!

Oh and for the record, It Was just a fouled plug, Cleaned it and the Bike started right up!

Later,
Smokn~ 8)

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #13 - 04/15/05 at 19:22:40

Grease the front rubber bushings AND the on tank pockets. Use Crisco or such, regular old grease will eat the rubber. Takes all the fight out of the re-install.
-WD

Although you'll still end up cussing the designers when you squash your fingers under the rear of the tank.  Angry  Angry  Angry
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
thehoghunter
2004 No Login

Chop Suey

Tampa
Reply #14 - 04/15/05 at 20:08:59

And when you removed the 'tranny cable' (the speedometer cable) did you make sure you didn't lose the o-ring washer for it?

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 23:53:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fuel Tank

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.