Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Is the valve adjustment as easy as it looks? (Read 14 times)
rkutzner
Ex Member

Is the valve adjustment as easy as it looks?
11/05/04 at 13:51:04

After seeing another thread that required the pulling of the head, I noted that the valve lash adjustment is done like my buddies dirt bike versus how mine is done on my Suzuki Z400 (sport quad).  It looks like all I need to do is remove the access covers, check the lash (at TDC compression stroke, of course), and I'm guessing adjust if neccesary by loosening something and turning something.

Does that sound right?  On my quad, I have to remove the head cover, check the lash at TDC and hope it is on.  If not, I need to remove the cam (intake or exhaust, and it comes off the chain so you have to keep that in order, too) and then change out to a different thickness shim.  It is an overhead cam engine.  Then I have to reinstall the cam and torque correctly.  And shims are $7 each so it is usually a 2 day job cause I don't know what I need til I measure the lash.

What else is connected to the gas tank, my 2005 FSM isn't in yet and the owners manual says just pull it off without mention of at least some electrical connectors (to the speedo?).  I have 300 miles with 300 to go before the first check.

IP Logged
Honda_fan
2004 No Login

Go Ride!

Antioch, IL
Re: Is the valve adjustment as easy as it looks?
Reply #1 - 11/05/04 at 19:19:11

Easy to do. Need to disconnect speedo, vacuum line on pet-c0ck, fuel line and electical plug. Be careful pulling tank off as the pet-c0ck will scratch the frame, need to swing it towards the left (clutch lever side) as you pull it back. I put some tape over the frame when pulling to tank to help prevent this. Plug can be access once tank is pulled back from the rubber mounts in the front. Valve adjustment is locknut and screw no shims req'd. Hope you have skinny fingers.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #2 - 11/06/04 at 04:59:01

Good point about tape on the frame to prevent scratching the paint with the petcock.  Might be a good addition to "Tips and Tricks".

Now, saying that it is "easy" to do is kind of subjective.  Compared to the "bucket and shim" adjusters, yes it is, but I would say that it is only "easy" in concept but not in actual practice....yep, you need skinny fingers.

Yes, there is an electrical connector....go in the Technical Corner and you can see the harness under the tank.  Look in the Electrical section too, and you'll see where you need to position the crankshaft at TDC.

After you do all that, the rest is "easy".  Set the clearance on all 4 valves between .003" and .005" with a pair of skinny fingers, feeler gage, 10 MM box-end wrench, and a screwdriver....but you'll wish the frame was out of the way  Undecided

IP Logged
Honda_fan
2004 No Login

Go Ride!

Antioch, IL
Reply #3 - 11/06/04 at 18:09:01

Greg,

You are right in it being subjective but I figured he is willing and able to do shim under bucket valves and locknut & screw are "easy" compared to this. My ST1100 is also shim under bucket and while it is easier to check than the Savage, adjustments are easier on all my locknut & screw bikes.

I scratched the hell out of the frame the first time pulling the tank, so now when ever it's off I put a couple of new wraps of black electrical tape on. Prevents scratching putting it on and the next time it's pulled off.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 11/07/04 at 02:53:58

Another thing that would make it easy would be the availability of some angled feeler gages in the .003"-.005" range.

It's just a job that requires patience, especially on the intake side.

IP Logged
rkutzner
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 11/07/04 at 04:48:32

Thank you guys, that is awesome advice...especially on the frame.  Hate to scratch it up yet !!!  

I always allot plenty of time and always put my patience hat on when doing this kind of thing !  That's the biggest key, don't rush yourself.  The world does a good enough job of that already  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 11/07/04 at 04:59:49

rkutzner wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Thank you guys, that is awesome advice...especially on the frame.  Hate to scratch it up yet !!!  

I always allot plenty of time and always put my patience hat on when doing this kind of thing !  That's the biggest key, don't rush yourself.  The world does a good enough job of that already  Roll Eyes

Good, that's the attitude.  I just didn't want you to think that it was as easy as changing the oil.

Hint:  The clearance is .003 to.005".  Snug the adjuster with the .005" feeler gage in place.  Then remove the gage and tighten the nut the rest of the way.  This almost always closes the gap to a nice "middle of the road" gap of .004"....do this 4 times and you're done.

Good luck.

IP Logged
Sgt_Mike
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 11/07/04 at 05:00:24

Greg;
Angled feeler gauges are available. I've got a set. Having worked as a machine set up operator with Mack Trucks before getting in quality assurance, feelers were a must, angled feelers were sure nice to have when setting up a multiple spindle Bullard lathe. Sears used to/may still sell them.
.003 to .005 is that with a hot or cold engine?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 11/07/04 at 05:03:33

Sgt_Mike wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Greg;
Angled feeler gauges are available. I've got a set. Having worked as a machine set up operator with Mack Trucks before getting in quality assurance, feelers were a must, angled feelers were sure nice to have when setting up a multiple spindle Bullard lathe.
.003 to .005 is that with a hot or cold engine?

I just haven't been able to find flat "shim stock" type gages that were angled AND in that size range.  Where do you get them?

Adjust the valves cold, too.

IP Logged
Sgt_Mike
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 11/07/04 at 05:25:26

If Sears don't stock them in the store, ask for a machinist tool catalog. You can also check with Snap-on or Mac tools dealers, your local auto service dept. can tell you which day of the week they go there. The set I have go from .00025 to .030

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 11/07/04 at 06:26:08

Thanks.  For the Savage valve adjustment they would be much better than the flat kind.

IP Logged
rkutzner
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 11/07/04 at 16:21:58

Thanks, Greg.  I would def shoot for .004 cause you never know what way the gap will go over time.  I've seen the gap increase (wear at rocker?) and decrease (valve/valve seat wear/compression?).  I've heard theories either way, but taking time to get it right up the middle of the range never hurts.   Put another 75 on her today....over 400 in 3 weeks now !!!  And I'm only 4 miles from work............ Cheesy

IP Logged
Leo
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 11/07/04 at 18:19:21

Angled feler gauges?  All of mine came straight...and they are bent just how I need them!!!!  Most "standard" bent feeler gauges aren't bent where I needed.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 07:07:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Is the valve adjustment as easy as it looks?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.