Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Urban Riding Tactics
11/01/04 at 13:56:35

Saw this posted on another forum.  The lessons are relevant to anyone driving a motorcycle in traffic:

Urban Riding Tactics

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Re: Urban Riding Tactics
Reply #1 - 11/01/04 at 15:40:15

I too put many miles on the freeways of the l.a. basin on an older thumper.

i agree completly with the riders observations.

i only add this to the equation because i like to keep it real simple..

"YOU ARE INVISIBLE TO ALL CAGES"

plain and simple.

here are several other tactics that didnt make his list but are undersood by freeway riders/lane splitter.

watch heads and front wheels they will be the first indicator of a lane change.

a cell phone user with phone in right ear drifts right, left ear drifts left.  generally......

obscure the license plate, that so when you pop sombodys mirror, or scrape the side  they dont have it when they call 911 complaining about a minor incident. this also applies the to occasianal steel toe to door panel, or when adding to the "antenna" collection.  Shocked   ok i'm not proud of it but i do have a few.  on the l.a. freeway its "war out there" for the daily commute. and the m/c is the lowest on the food chain.  plus cages hate that we get to move at 25 - 30 mph when they only are doing 5 - 10.  ever try riding 5 -10 mph for miles on end.. you quickly become a lane splitter.
i've been the head of 20 bike snake over mullholand in rush our many times.  i've has chp's move over to let a smaller bike lead. when the cages feel the snake moving by they generally move over just a tad.  that's generally..

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Ed L.

Reply #2 - 11/01/04 at 18:13:24

Here's a good site that has a lot of riding tips http://flamesonmytank.co.za/navigation.htm, I check in every few weeks cause they keep it updated.

IP Logged
Ed L.

Reply #3 - 11/01/04 at 18:20:33

Well that didn't seem to work  ???  oh well lets try it again http:www.flamesonmytank.com.za/navigation

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #4 - 11/01/04 at 18:56:40

I drive/ride pretty much the same in my Company vanas on the Bike.  Both vehicles are invisible.  The above link speaks of placing yourself so others can see you in their rear-view mirrors.  Why?  Those of us who use mirrors saw the bike 10 car-lengths back.  The others aren't going to be looking in their mirrors anyhow so why position yourself to be seen?  I figure the other person is totally unaware of my presence and may place his vehicle anywhere it is physically possible for him/her to place it.  It is my task to not be in the same location.

My bottom line is that I consistently obey only one law.  It is a law of physics that cannot be broken:  Two objects cannot occupy the same space at the same time.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 11/02/04 at 04:33:32

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
I drive/ride pretty much the same in my Company vanas on the Bike.  Both vehicles are invisible.  The above link speaks of placing yourself so others can see you in their rear-view mirrors.  Why?  Those of us who use mirrors saw the bike 10 car-lengths back.  The others aren't going to be looking in their mirrors anyhow so why position yourself to be seen?

Maybe some people do not use their mirrors very often, but with your headlight on you are at least taking the opportunity to be seen by the car ahead.  If you drive in their blind spot you are contributing to your own "invisibilty".  This also positions you so that oncoming traffic can see your headlight....especially for the person wanting turn left in front of you.  

There are 2 ways to look at this, and I choose the proactive one.

Quote:
 I figure the other person is totally unaware of my presence and may place his vehicle anywhere it is physically possible for him/her to place it.  It is my task to not be in the same location.

This is simply a good defensive driving attitude.

Quote:
My bottom line is that I consistently obey only one law.  It is a law of physics that cannot be broken:  Two objects cannot occupy the same space at the same time.

The best tactic is to position yourself to see and be seen.  Drive defensively, but not aggressively.  Just because some cagers are unpredictable or even stupid, doesn't suggest that a motorcyclist should be as well.  Some cagers do not discriminate between bicycles, pedestrians, cars or bikes. That is their problem, but it doesn't have to yours.

Don't take a bad attitude out on the road.  Don't follow too closely, scan ahead through traffic, use your turn signals and always be prepared to react.  Just drive smart.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 11/02/04 at 05:48:45

It should also be noted that, unlike CA, many (if not most) other states have not legalized lane-splitting.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 11/02/04 at 06:05:22

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
It should also be noted that, unlike CA, many (if not most) other states have not legalized lane-splitting.

It may be legal in NC, I'm not sure.  I've seen it done, but personally, that practice scares the crap out of me.  Too many negative possibilties.

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #8 - 11/02/04 at 08:01:02

lane splitting in the l.a. basin is a neccesity, not something done for fun. like i said in the earlier post the prospect of trying to ride a two wheel machine at 5 mph on the freeway is far more dangerous than riding between lanes.

now the legality of it.  it is ok to do in any state that does not specificily prohibit two vehicles from occupying the same lane of travel.  but i do not recommend it. it's an advanced riding skill that takes much practice, and big ole brass ones  Shocked

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #9 - 11/02/04 at 08:43:42

sluggo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
lane splitting in the l.a. basin is a neccesity, not something done for fun. like i said in the earlier post the prospect of trying to ride a two wheel machine at 5 mph on the freeway is far more dangerous than riding between lanes.

now the legality of it.  it is ok to do in any state that does not specificily prohibit two vehicles from occupying the same lane of travel.  but i do not recommend it. it's an advanced riding skill that takes much practice, and big ole brass ones  Shocked

Seems like it is probably safer to do in L.A. where people are more used to it than somewhere where people don't see it every day.

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
sunny
2004 No Login

rock this town

d/fw texas
Reply #10 - 11/03/04 at 12:17:04

i'm not 100% sure but i think lane splitting is illegal here in texas...

the only phrase i operate under is "i am invisible!"...

and, of course, i am one of those urban guerillas(but of the non lane splitting sub species).

flatblack rat - 97

sun_rat
sunny76059   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #11 - 11/03/04 at 13:52:24

I may have missed it but I have been through the DPS and other state sites and tried to find anything referring to lane-splitting and came up completely blank.  However, I would find it highly inadvisable.  For the most part I am content with HOV lanes, where they exist.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
sunny
2004 No Login

rock this town

d/fw texas
Reply #12 - 11/03/04 at 14:57:15

flatblack rat - 97

sun_rat
sunny76059   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print