ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
off topic question
10/31/04 at 10:39:44

i was cleaning up thumper and came up with  
this  off topic question, but since we are such a diverse (or is that perverse) Tongue  group i bet someone's got the answer.

why does my computers "c" drive show 17 gigs used.
when i add it up it only comes to 10 gigs.

i first noticed the missing space with "98" it got more progressive in "m.e" and now with "xp" it's huge.  these are different machines not upgrades to same

in view options i even told it to show "hidden" files so i could add those up also..

any answers.  and remember to keep the explanation in lay terms.. i'm not the sharpest tool in the shed.  Embarrassed

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: off topic question
Reply #1 - 10/31/04 at 13:00:44

Start> all programs >accessories >command prompt

c:\>chkdsk
blah blah
16,384 bytes in each allocation unit.
1,831,516 total allocation units on disk.
1,061,391 allocation units available on disk.

c:\>exit

The "allocation unit" is the smallest amount of disk space that can be used by a file.  A 15K file will take up 16K of disk space.  A 1K file will take up 16K of disk space.   A 17K file will take up 32K of disk space (two allocation units.)

Ever file will, on average, be taking up 8K more disk space than it claims.  I have over 160,000 files on my disk which translates to over a gigabyte of lost space.

Larger drives will have larger allocations and larger lost space per file (along with more files.)

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: off topic question
Reply #2 - 11/01/04 at 04:02:53

That's somewhat true, but real the reason that you see more "used space" than what you expect from your math results is because of virtual memory and what Windows calls a paging file.  

A paging file is a section of your HDD that Windows reserves and uses as RAM (mine currently says that I have a paging file size of 720 MB)

If you go to your control panel, and click on "System" you will get a window called "System Properties".  Then click on the "Advanced" tab at the top.  Now you see an option called "Performance" and a button called "Settings".  Click that for "Performance Options" and at the bottom is "Virtual Memory".  There is your explanation....you have a button called "Change", but it is better to just let Windows manage this space.

You haven't lost the space, it's just that Windows XP is reserving that space for system functions.....

Click safe  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/07/24 at 13:18:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › off topic question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.