Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
Send Topic Print
Savage "Plug/Cap" Leak (Read 14314 times)
terpfan1980

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Near DC
Re: Savage "Plug/Cap" Leak
Reply #60 - 10/10/13 at 14:47:19

Dave wrote on 10/09/13 at 05:36:45:
When applying the sealant you can't do a good job squeezing a bulky tube.  I squeeze the sealant into a plastic disposable syringe, then use the syringe to applly a nice thin bead about the size of a pencil lead.  You can get the syringe at any drug store or medical supply place.  You want one about the size of a cigarette - the barrel should be about the size of the spout on the tube so you can squeeze the sealant in easily.

That's a pretty sweet tip and a great way to do the job I would think.  Thanks very much for the suggestion.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #61 - 11/09/13 at 19:06:00

terpfan1980 wrote on 10/10/13 at 14:47:19:
Dave wrote on 10/09/13 at 05:36:45:
When applying the sealant you can't do a good job squeezing a bulky tube.  I squeeze the sealant into a plastic disposable syringe, then use the syringe to applly a nice thin bead about the size of a pencil lead.  You can get the syringe at any drug store or medical supply place.  You want one about the size of a cigarette - the barrel should be about the size of the spout on the tube so you can squeeze the sealant in easily.

That's a pretty sweet tip and a great way to do the job I would think.  Thanks very much for the suggestion.

FYI, lots of RTV products come with a screw-on tip that can be cut to size.  I generally buy Permatex stuff and they come with these tips:

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #62 - 11/11/13 at 09:03:50

I'm a naturally messy person... I squeeze a dab onto my finger and spread it...
Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Henrik

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden, Jönköping
Reply #63 - 11/11/13 at 11:38:44

I have just removed the head cover and the plug was realy loose, not so strange that my bike wasleaking oil. But iam wondering if it is best to apply the sealant to the head cover or the head when reinstalling it? Or both? Also iam a bit insecure about how to apply sealant whitout getting it to close to cam bearings, any tips would be great.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #64 - 11/11/13 at 19:21:40

Henrik wrote on 11/11/13 at 11:38:44:
I have just removed the head cover and the plug was realy loose, not so strange that my bike wasleaking oil. But iam wondering if it is best to apply the sealant to the head cover or the head when reinstalling it? Or both? Also iam a bit insecure about how to apply sealant whitout getting it to close to cam bearings, any tips would be great.

I apply it to the head.  If you apply it to the head cover, you run a chance of getting some goop on the cam chain, etc., as you position said head cover into place.

Apply sparingly and you'll be fine....

IHTH!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
kuri77

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rancho Santa Margarita, Ca
Number/Date confusion on the plug
Reply #65 - 12/13/13 at 10:45:04

I have already contacted Digger ( who I am not questioning just relating the info for those who want to check the pic facts) who in post 43/44 says that 11145-41B01 is the new plug and shows a new unused one in the bag.  He has a pic of the old one that I presume came from his bike when he replaced it.  This is part 11145-37401.  However, I ordered a plug from a dealer without giving the part number and only the year, 2011.  They gave me the 37401.  I called them on it since Digger and several others including a Suzuki dealer told me that the B model was the newer one.  They said no so I went down there and sure enough the microfiche and the Suzuki EPC listing showed the one they gave me came out for the 2005 or 8 model (can't remember which) and the B model had been on the books for years.  I called another dealer who said they've replaced many over the years and the new one is the B model.  Can anyone clear this up definitively?  From what I gather there are people with both types happily riding leak-free all the time.  Suzuki presumably updated to the non-B model for a reason and I would like to put in the one that has the best chance of me not needing to go in and replace it someday.  Probably both work if put in correctly with the right sealant but since I haven't started the job yet...............

Big Sur
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Re: Number/Date confusion on the plug
Reply #66 - 12/17/13 at 21:28:45

kuri77 wrote on 12/13/13 at 10:45:04:
I have already contacted Digger ( who I am not questioning just relating the info for those who want to check the pic facts) who in post 43/44 says that 11145-41B01 is the new plug and shows a new unused one in the bag.  He has a pic of the old one that I presume came from his bike when he replaced it.  This is part 11145-37401.  However, I ordered a plug from a dealer without giving the part number and only the year, 2011.  They gave me the 37401.  I called them on it since Digger and several others including a Suzuki dealer told me that the B model was the newer one.  They said no so I went down there and sure enough the microfiche and the Suzuki EPC listing showed the one they gave me came out for the 2005 or 8 model (can't remember which) and the B model had been on the books for years.  I called another dealer who said they've replaced many over the years and the new one is the B model.  Can anyone clear this up definitively?  From what I gather there are people with both types happily riding leak-free all the time.  Suzuki presumably updated to the non-B model for a reason and I would like to put in the one that has the best chance of me not needing to go in and replace it someday.  Probably both work if put in correctly with the right sealant but since I haven't started the job yet...............

kuri,

I've tried 'em both and I've had better luck with the new-style (solid, vice cup-shaped) plug.

Good luck!

Digger
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
kuri77

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rancho Santa Margarita, Ca
Reply #67 - 12/19/13 at 17:09:21

Guess I'm going with you and the Suzuki dealer then.  41B01 it is.  Thanks, let you know how it turns out.

Big Sur
  IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #68 - 01/01/14 at 12:57:11

I am still trying to wrap my head around the need to remove the bolt that holds the decompression solenoid rocker arm... In every photo it is removed but it doesn't hold the head cover in place and it doesn't interfere with removal. Am I missing something?

1986 red, raptor petcock, cham chain tensioner mod,carb plug pulled. DIY highway pegs, DIY ammo can storage...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #69 - 01/01/14 at 13:00:18

Jsud04 wrote on 01/01/14 at 12:57:11:
I am still trying to wrap my head around the need to remove the bolt that holds the decompression solenoid rocker arm... In every photo it is removed but it doesn't hold the head cover in place and it doesn't interfere with removal. Am I missing something?  

I don't remove it.

WWW   IP Logged
NEHokiePokie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #70 - 01/15/14 at 16:45:12

I just tried this fix myself and it went really well overall until I reached the reassembly, when one of the bolts snapped while tightening everything down. I roughly followed the tightening pattern posted earlier in this thread, just till all the bolts were snug. I then borrowed one of those click type torque wrenches from Autozone and set it to about half the recommended torque value (so right around 35 in-lbs or just under 3 ft-lbs). I went to tighten one of them down and "snap" it went, maybe cause of the cold or just that it was old. Anyways, I already received the replacement for it.

Here's the problem, I went to remove the broken bolt but it looks like it broke way down in the cylinder head. When looking at Savage_Greg's bolt diagram, the one that I broke is the top left L60 bolt. It also goes down through what I think is one of the case alignment pins. It looks like it's too deep to use an extractor/easy-out. I'm looking for any suggestions as to how to handle this. I don't really want to have to drill it out. Think it would be fine if I just left that bolt out when I put it back together?

I also wasn't sure how much sealant to apply so I took a couple pics before reassembly, hoping that someone could give some insight as to whether it was too much or too little. Since I broke the bolt I have to redo it anyways, let this be a lesson to all.

Thanks for any insight, help, comments, or just plain criticism.

Like I said, hopefully this will also help others who have similar questions/concerns down the road.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #71 - 01/15/14 at 19:24:30

hard to tell if it's enough, pretty close, if you had left it to set up, then you could tell.  but I certainly would circle every bolt hole to seal it.

I think you're gonna have to remove the head to get at that bolt.  and then you might be able tap it out.  tap with a center punch at what's left of the threads to twist it out.  of course this means a new head gasket.

WWW   IP Logged
yetimeister
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maine
Reply #72 - 09/02/14 at 15:15:57

torque spec for bolts?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #73 - 09/03/14 at 07:12:28

yetimeister wrote on 09/02/14 at 15:15:57:
torque spec for bolts?

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1098848534

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Philmh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #74 - 12/07/14 at 11:06:44

Ok. So I am ready to replace everything, head bolts all torque down, and I dry fit the plug and it wiggles in the hole.  No good, even with sealant.  My best bet is to spend 5 bucks and buy a new plug so I don't have to do this again.

When I read this thread, a member posted a pic of the part number for the NEW plug yet later on another member goes on about two different plugs and the part numbers without definitively giving the correct part number and seemingly contradicting the prior post for the correct part number for the NEW plug style.

So readers, moderators, and everyone else..... can we correctly define the part number of the new plug and the old plug laid out clearly?  I would like to lay this to rest once and for all.

The part numbers I have are.

11145-41B01. New?

11145-37401.  Old?

Is this correct?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 10:41:25

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › Savage "Plug/Cap" Leak