Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Send Topic Print
Savage "Plug/Cap" Leak (Read 14314 times)
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Savage "Plug/Cap" Leak
Reply #30 - 03/21/07 at 13:25:48

w6k wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
       I always use a product called Never sieze on the head bolts. It allows them to torque down without binding and makes them easier to remove also. Much less likely to break one off.

Have you ever seen the instructions in the SSM?  I was surprised when I read it...

They tell you to use a drop of oil on each stud when torquing the nuts.  It works too.  The idea is to lube the nut and copper washer so they will sort of "settle" into place without galling when torqued.

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #31 - 03/22/07 at 08:12:16

Yep, tha's called "wet" torque as oposed to "dry" torque.
Wet gives you a more precise torque value as the frixtion of the thread and washers is less.

From the B757 MM. Cheesy

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #32 - 11/13/07 at 15:02:15

I'm adding this note to this topic as a warning.

I know that we are often tempted to use different sealants, but Do Not Use the "MotoSeal® 1 Ultimate Gasket Maker Grey" sealant when installing the headcover.  

I picked up this stuff at Shucks Auto Supply (Parts America) and may be available at Auto Zone, etc too.  It claims to be specifically designed for bikes and watercraft.

I tried this stuff as an experiment because it is easy to apply.  It may work on engine cover gaskets, but it will not seal the headcover.  It becomes hard and begins leaking fairly soon.  

Using the High Temp RTV (or Suzuki Bond) is still the best sealer to use.

PS - Rob has informed me that the Permatex® Ultra Grey® Rigid High-Torque RTV Silicone Gasket Maker works just fine, so don't confuse the 2 sealants because the names are similar.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #33 - 11/15/07 at 12:37:32

"MotoSeal® 1 Ultimate Gasket Maker Grey"  

It's claim to fame is being gasoline proof once cured - say on the older carbs where the drain plug removes - if you strip that out this will do a reasonable job sealing it up.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #34 - 11/16/07 at 09:18:34

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
"MotoSeal® 1 Ultimate Gasket Maker Grey"  

It's claim to fame is being gasoline proof once cured - say on the older carbs where the drain plug removes - if you strip that out this will do a reasonable job sealing it up.

Maybe, but not on the headcover.  Every bit of mine began leaking all the way around (I had all kinds of oil woes, didn't I?)...it is also harder to remove than the RTV type.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #35 - 06/25/08 at 20:04:55

I also would not recommend ThreeBond Liquid Gasket 1104.

It seals good (the guy at the Suzuki dealer recommeded it), but it's a real bear to remove.

I have had good luck with the Permatex Ultra Copper

It's never let me down!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #36 - 07/30/08 at 09:18:51

I'm happy to say that I've got about 2K on my last rebuild (new piston, rings, etc) and I just changed to a synthetic oil with the new break-in, too.  

I used a high temp RTV sealer that was black this time.  The entire head cover and plug are dry.  Not a drop...

IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #37 - 04/08/09 at 17:41:17

While in doing this is it also a good time to get a new cam chain and install it? Or does it need to be torn down further yet?

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #38 - 04/08/09 at 17:58:08

All you got to do is take the primary gear off (one big ass bolt)
and the cam sprocket off (2 little bolts)
to get the chain from here.

WWW   IP Logged
matt_savage

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #39 - 04/20/09 at 11:13:02

I just did this fix hoping that it was my plug cap that was leaking.  Got all the bolts out no problem and the head cover came off with minimal prying.  Sure enough, the plug cap was the old style-like a cup and came was just sitting there over the hole.  It was sort of thingy-eyed and I could even see the head cap nut under it next to the exhaust port by looking down!!  Needless to say, I put a layer of silicone sealer on the new one and hammered it into place w/ my trusty rubber mallet.  That thing AINT leaking anymore!  Everything went back on correctly but I still need to do a valve adjustment and adjust the decomp solenoid before I fire it up.  

p.s.  Best piece of advice I could give anyone attempting this fix is to just go for it and be thorough!  The paper template of the bolts on the head cover taped to a cardboard box worked perfectly and none were mixed up going back in.  I didnt see any signs of bolts snapping off, mainly cuz it looks as this was the first time the head cover had EVER been removed from my bike!  It also helps to have small hands and my rather large hands made getting a few of the bolts in and out kinda difficult, but got it done none the less.

-Matt

IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #40 - 04/20/09 at 13:41:22

Also another quick piece of advise may be to give the reassembly a couple of dry runs before you put any sealer on it. That way you will know which bolts will need to be installed before you put it back on. (meaning if your doing it while the motor is still on the bike) There is one in the middle on the top that is long and it has to be in there before you put it back on or there isn't enough room.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
matt_savage

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #41 - 04/20/09 at 14:05:39

Yup, that bolt in the middle has to be in there before you put the cover back on the head or else it wont fit.  I made the mistake of forgetting to put the oil breather screen in the cover when I put it back on the first time.  The sealant got a little smeared when I pulled it back off but I think it sealed it up fine when I torqued it down after putting the screen back in.  Another trick is to use a nickel along with a pair of vice grips to get the timing plug out of the left side stator cover.

IP Logged
MikeG
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #42 - 06/21/09 at 17:18:46

So I did not bother with TDC because I was not touching the timing chain or any of the valves, right? So I replaced the plug w/sealer and put everything back together.  Now, when I try and start the bike the starter turns the motor over but will not say run by itself.  I engine is getting fuel as far as I can tell (I pried it).  Any thoughts, or am I better just trying again? thanks

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #43 - 06/21/09 at 22:15:33

FYI:

Here is the P/N of the new style plug:

Here is a top view of the new plug:

Here is a bottom view of the new plug:

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #44 - 07/09/09 at 20:42:23

Just for comparison's sake, here is what the old-style plug looks like (the plug in the photos is used, and has some residual copper-colored gasket sealant on it):

IHTH someone!

Digger
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 19:24:27

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › Savage "Plug/Cap" Leak

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.