Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Where have you set your idle screw? (Read 11 times)
rkutzner
Ex Member

Where have you set your idle screw?
10/20/04 at 14:29:43

I've only had my S40 for a few wonderful Cheesy days but am tired of the occasional backfiring when I turn her off or decelerate.  I pulled the plug and checked the idle mixture screw setting. I turned it in clockwise and was ABHORED  Undecided that it only took about a 16th of a turn to bottom out.  How far are they going to take this EPA thing?  I went with DynoJets setting of 1.5 turns out and have ordered a 152 main to replace the 145.  I'm hoping this will be enough until I get my Supertrapp/K&N after 1000 miles.  I may go with the Dynojet kit then or try the needle spacer 'thing'.

Where did most of you who rejetted end up on the idle mixture screw?

IP Logged
mownor
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

Look cool!  You
know who you are.

Re: Where have you set your idle screw?
Reply #1 - 10/20/04 at 14:50:00

After I drilled out the brass plug in my '04, I found the screw to be about 1 1/4 turns out and I decided that 1 3/4 turns was the best idle. The bike was delivered to me in Canada so that might have made a difference.  M.

Life is a journey - don't wait for the stops; enjoy the travelling.
  IP Logged
rkutzner
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/20/04 at 15:31:35

Yes, probably don't have to adhere to the same EPA rules. So maybe 1 1/4 isn't too far off.  You like 1 3/4 and I am currently at 1.5 so so far this seems right.  I'm leaving the plug out and carrying a small screwdriver next time out.  I want to try 1 1/4 and 1 3/4.  I absolutely LOVE the simpleness of this bike!

Anyone else?

Can the carb be rotated in place to do the jet and needle?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 10/21/04 at 03:05:41

rkutzner wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Yes, probably don't have to adhere to the same EPA rules. So maybe 1 1/4 isn't too far off.  You like 1 3/4 and I am currently at 1.5 so so far this seems right.  I'm leaving the plug out and carrying a small screwdriver next time out.  I want to try 1 1/4 and 1 3/4.  I absolutely LOVE the simpleness of this bike!

Anyone else?

Can the carb be rotated in place to do the jet and needle?

Not really.  You still have to disconnect stuff and the carb top hits the frame when rotated.  So you might as well just remove it.  On the other hand....

To get to the needle you need to pull the tank and the rest can be done with the carb installed....as long as the phillips screws are cooperative and don't get rounded out.

To get to the main can be done from the bottom with the carb installed, but the 2 rear screws are difficult, being next to the battery box...also, as long as the screws are cooperative.

Go ahead and buy some stainless allen head screws to replace the top and bottom stock screws.  Then any future access will be much easier.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 10/21/04 at 03:10:11

I've only had my S40 for a few wonderful Cheesy days but am tired of the occasional backfiring when I turn her off or decelerate.  I pulled the plug and checked the idle mixture screw setting. I turned it in clockwise and was ABHORED  Undecided that it only took about a 16th of a turn to bottom out.  How far are they going to take this EPA thing?  I went with DynoJets setting of 1.5 turns out and have ordered a 152 main to replace the 145.  I'm hoping this will be enough until I get my Supertrapp/K&N after 1000 miles.  I may go with the Dynojet kit then or try the needle spacer 'thing'.

Where did most of you who rejetted end up on the idle mixture screw?

There is no real "set point" for this screw.  It is sort of an individual micro-adjustment for each bike.  Mine is set at about 2 turns.  The idea is to just find the best closed throttle idle speed with this screw.  Set it where the bike idles the fastest, then adjust the idle speed screw (left side) to about 1200 rpms

IP Logged
rkutzner
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 10/21/04 at 03:30:11

Thanks guys.  I just wanted to make sure I wasn't in left field with the mixuture screw....beings it came from the factory almost turned the whole way in (1/16th out at most).

I'm familiar with those bowl screws, not sure what they put them on with at the factory.  On my Z400 I just took a dremel with a cutting blade and made them real deep flat heads and have no problems any more.

I am still stock but plan to throw in a 152 main this weekend.  Do you think it is worth it to do the needle spacer mod or should I wait til I get my Supertrapp/K&N in the spring?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 10/21/04 at 10:29:32

Heh, mine would only back out maybe 1.5 turns and then got stuck.  I tried to "unstick" it but the little brass bastard seems to want to strip rather than cooperate.  Oh well, it's better in this position than in any other.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 10/25/04 at 07:50:18

I'm familiar with those bowl screws, not sure what they put them on with at the factory.  On my Z400 I just took a dremel with a cutting blade and made them real deep flat heads and have no problems any more.

Ah, sparks from a grinding wheel next to the carb full of gas.  Cool Tongue  I think they put them on with air impact tools (assembly line), but it's that steel to aluminum thing that makes them real tight.

Quote:
I am still stock but plan to throw in a 152 main this weekend.  Do you think it is worth it to do the needle spacer mod or should I wait til I get my Supertrapp/K&N in the spring?

It's worth it to change the spacer.  Did you change the main jet?

IP Logged
rkutzner
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 10/25/04 at 15:25:35

Ha Ha !!!   I got the screws off the first time and grinded the slots for easy changes as I made a few jet changes.  No gas in the carb and the screws OFF the bike when I slotted them.  At 40 with kids safety is of utmost importance......good point though !

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 10/26/04 at 03:19:44

Ha Ha !!!   I got the screws off the first time and grinded the slots for easy changes as I made a few jet changes.  No gas in the carb and the screws OFF the bike when I slotted them.  At 40 with kids safety is of utmost importance......good point though !

Good deal....of course, you haven't tried getting your screwdriver AND hand on the 2 rear ones on the Savage carb yet.  Right next to the battery box and if you round out the phillips slots you'll be mad enough to grind off the whole carb to get to the screws.

I found that allen heads are a better replacement.  One little wrench takes less space in the toolkit, too.

IP Logged
rkutzner
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 10/26/04 at 12:53:47

You're right, and thanks!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 01:32:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Where have you set your idle screw?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.