Savage wheelies (Read 44 times)
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Savage wheelies
10/12/04 at 08:57:21

Has anyone managed to wheelie their Savage.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Pat B
Ex Member

Re: Savage wheelies
Reply #1 - 10/12/04 at 09:22:41

klx650sm2002 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Has anyone managed to wheelie their Savage.

Clive W  Cheesy

Shocked ShockedWWWWEEEEEELLLLLLLLL Yes Shocked  Shocked
It was the day I got it, and very accidental.  I only got the front an inch or so off the ground.
I did it by getting a good rev, and dumping the clutch.  I think I scared myself more then anything else, and haven't tried it since then.

Pat

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #2 - 10/12/04 at 09:40:33

Speaking of wheelies, have you seen this?  Someone posted it on another forum.  It is not Savage related but it is hysterical: Stupid Squid Tricks

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Junkboy
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

New Mexico
Reply #3 - 10/12/04 at 11:24:34

ouch.

no wheelies for me thanks. i like all my parts in tact.

IP Logged
Ram
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/12/04 at 12:52:35

Its very difficult to pull a wheelie on the little thumper.   I tried several times, before giving up.  

May be if you rev it up excessively you could get the wheel up a couple of inches off the ground...but, not worth it.

IP Logged
PRH111
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 10/12/04 at 12:55:29

Once or twice I've pulled the front wheel about a foot off the ground (the second time I had a passenger and I just took off too fast without thinking about the added weight at the back).

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #6 - 10/12/04 at 13:09:51

oh yes, they call it a high ho silver away, it was ugly.
i was doing burnouts when i should have been practicing wheelees. my 2004 had 1700 miles at the time and i was checking out the limits. there was a patch of light sand in front of homestead was doing some pretty kewl burn outs in it. the last time around it hooked up i pushed it away, it went screaming down road on rear wheel dragging fender as i had removed license plate and relocated it. then fell over and rolled twice. right front peg broke off, right mirroe broke at bracket, both rear turn indicator front left peg bent, bent handle bar, baseball sized dent in tank. crushed headlight, and about two inches scraped of rear fender  i've managed to put it back together pretty good without spend an arm and a leg.. so kids dont try this at home

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #7 - 10/13/04 at 02:27:41

When I first got my KLX it would barely wheelie in first, it now wheelies in second (after all the mods).
My first ever wheelie was accidental on my first day with my first bike (RD125LC) I went to set off nearly stalled, pulled the clutch and let it go again with a load of revs on, pure luck i didn't drop it.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
sunny
2004 No Login

rock this town

d/fw texas
Reply #8 - 10/13/04 at 08:49:30

valks can do wheelies too!

as for me? no plans on even TRYING to wheelie. i'll leave that to the squids.

flatblack rat - 97

sun_rat
sunny76059   IP Logged
tekxtc
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 10/13/04 at 10:55:52

amen to what sunny says!

and that was some skilled guy on the valkyrie to pull that off on such a long wheel base.

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #10 - 10/13/04 at 20:43:00

I heard of it being done, usually unexpectedly.  I'd think that long fork rake coupled with that lawn tractor engine would not not make it that easy.

My old bike could pop them all day upon command, I tried a few times on my LS650 and decided that I'd rather keep my clutch intact.

Plus, when you're 28 years old, wheelies seem like perfectly logical thing to do.  When you're 50 it seems like it's a perfectly logical way to to re-injure my fourth lumbar disc again.  :'(

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 10/14/04 at 02:46:02

sunny wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
valks can do wheelies too!

as for me? no plans on even TRYING to wheelie. i'll leave that to the squids.

Same here, and considering that I actually know how the clutch is assembled, I can only think of the slipping plates and small particles of the assembly that might come loose and find themselves in other undesirable places.

When I stopped riding dirt, I stopped doing wheelies.

IP Logged
za16866
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 10/14/04 at 06:28:15

it is possible...   done it a few times...    but the trick is....  an i am not responsible for any crashes that may occur...   all you do is put your feet on the back pegs...   butt in the air... and crack the throttle at the same time you bounce on the back pegs...  pow...   front end heading to the clouds...  after that '''it's all up to you baby...   these bikes have plenty of torque...   it's having the clutch already locked up and your weight over the rear tire......  but...  after i accomplished the task...  proved to myself that it was possible to do it...   i'll leave that stuff to the crotch rockets...  thay are made for that..... Wink

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #13 - 10/14/04 at 07:08:39

I've gotten air coming over a hill (both tires off the ground).  It was a thrill and reminded me of my aggressive mountain biking days BUT the thing is you are going a lot slower on a mountain bike; you're on the dirt so it hurts a lot less if you fall; if the bike lands on you it weighs a lot less; and damage is cheaper to fix.  

Also to get air on the hill means I really wasn't riding within my sight distance (there could have been a car, a bike, a kid on the other side of the hill and I might not have been able to avoid them).  Sooo as much as I enjoyed it, I probably won't do it again.

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
sunny
2004 No Login

rock this town

d/fw texas
Reply #14 - 10/14/04 at 07:16:07

there are certain spots on highway 67 that i catch air...
the worse the roads get the slower you have to go to avoid it... hopefully they'll be fixing those parts soon, like they fixed that air inducing hump just east of venus. i caught air in my mustang doing a mere 75. they had it fixed a few days after that...

flatblack rat - 97

sun_rat
sunny76059   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 05:11:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage wheelies

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.