Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lost a Exhaust header bolt today... (Read 10 times)
cphilip
Ex Member

Lost a Exhaust header bolt today...
10/05/04 at 14:00:52

....well maybe yesterday... but she went missing about the time I was hearing a whistling noise starting to emit from the exhaust... so went looking for why and low and behold! One is missing.... Other one fairly lose.

So be alert and torque em down folks. Someone gimme the torque spec on those? I got two new ones on the way.

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Re: Lost a Exhaust header bolt today...
Reply #1 - 10/05/04 at 15:07:45

The torque of the exhaustbolts is 18-28 Nm.

Piece of advice: it pays off to go around your bike after the ride, sort of "postride inspection" so you have no surprises when you ride again. Wink
Greetz
Kropatchek

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/06/04 at 11:36:07

Sage advice. Check them bolts!

I knew better. Just never heard it was a common one to back itself out before. Heck.... might not be for all I know. But it stands to reason someone else's is lose besides mine. Mine is at 10K now. I have no idea if its ever been checked. I bought it with 6.5K on it. I should have double checked. Just thought I would report it to save someone else the hassle of waiting on a bolt. They special chrome cap ones although you probably could substitute something else. But I don't want to. So I wait. I am going to replace them both and torque to spec. Thanks for that info Krop.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 10/08/04 at 03:10:16

Did it make your bike backfire more than normal?

Might want to check the header pipe gasket, if it is really loose.

IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/08/04 at 12:14:41

Not that I could tell really... I feel like it must not have been gone long. I noticed the Whistling sound that seemed to be coming from the back of the pipe first off. Then just returned to the shop trying to find where it was coming from. Never would have thought to look up front as the noise was coming out the tail pipe. I just happened to look later and spot the missing bolt head. Accidently really...

So I cannot say if it was causing any running problems. I just don't think it was gone that long. I might have ridden it maybe 20 miles with it out. And the other one I can say was not tight. But should say was not flopping lose. It was just easy to undo. So it did not take much effort for it to unscew. Which at somewhere between 13 and 21 Ft pounds should have taken me more effort to do. I suspect the loss of the other one was causing this one to now move. And air was rushing around now on the one side.

I won't really be able to assess the gasket until I torque new bolts in and see. If it leaks then off she comes!

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 10/09/04 at 03:10:35

I wonder why it would make a whistle sound out the tailpipe.  Hmmmm...the gasket is probably good, though.

IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 10/13/04 at 13:32:39

Well new bolts in and still whistling.... might be the gasket now?

Or something lose in the exhaust?

Runs fine though but afraid to really get out and run it. Curious....

Anyone got a diagram of the front Exhaust header gasket? Sometimes I think I can feel air moving around out of there but cannot be certain. Need to smoke test it I guess. See if its my imagination or not.

Whistling metalic sound is coming from right in the rear of the exhaust. Certain of it. Maybe coincidental?

IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 10/13/04 at 15:41:04

Ok... after allowing it to cool all the way down and restarting it and holding my hand directly around that exhaust (cupping it around) I am convinced it is NOT leaking any exhaust there at the manifold into the barrel... Probably a coincidental finding the bolt missing when looking for source of the noise. But lucky find none the less.  Maybe.....

the noise is coming from the rear. And its a metalic pinging ringing whistling sound... when throttle applied and down in lower throttle RPM range. After throttling up high it dissapears. Just on a stout blip of throttle does it come and then go. Ringing Whistliing sound.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 10/14/04 at 02:34:01

cphilip wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Ok... after allowing it to cool all the way down and restarting it and holding my hand directly around that exhaust (cupping it around) I am convinced it is NOT leaking any exhaust there at the manifold into the barrel... Probably a coincidental finding the bolt missing when looking for source of the noise. But lucky find none the less.  Maybe.....

the noise is coming from the rear. And its a metalic pinging ringing whistling sound... when throttle applied and down in lower throttle RPM range. After throttling up high it dissapears. Just on a stout blip of throttle does it come and then go. Ringing Whistliing sound.

I've heard this on one other Savage...a guy living here in Asheville.  He installed my used muffler and the noise disappeared.  Sounds kinda like the baffle/packing has come loose inside.

IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 10/14/04 at 07:47:02

Yep.... thats where I am leaning. I think today sometime I am going to put her on the lift and check any and all bolts going back to the muffler. If it fails to solve it then I am going to think changing muffler.

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #10 - 10/14/04 at 10:55:58

this is how i deal with loose nuts and bolts.
every time i change oil i break out the torque wrench and tighten everything up as all the oil drains. this way you get into a preventative maintance program. and as the jail bird would say "and thats a good thing"

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 10/15/04 at 08:34:56

Well... no lose exhaust holding nuts found.... seems solid...

Did discover I needed to add some water to the battery. So thats good to get out of the way. Its a nice ordeal to take that battery out. I went ahead and did that and gave it an overnight trickel... then reinstalled today.... Still got that sqweeky whistly sound coming from that muffler. Just took it for a spin to really heat things up and then going to recheck the torque on those Exhaust header bolts before giving up and concluding it was and is the Muffler itself. I am more and more convinced it is.

This bike does not really have that many miles on it. Its a 2001 and I just barely turned over 10K. Half of that put on this summer. But when one considers it is four years old and the previous owner only put 6500 on it in three years or so then one can understand why the muffler is degraded. Nothing worse than one setting around and getting damp and sitting... I guess its just not been run enough to keep the internals dry and all. Probably some rust issues inside that muffler from low use in its early days.

Anyone got a good Stocker they want to part with? And of course I now have the luxury of considering aftermarket. But I am one of those keep it stock kind of guys most of the time. I like quiet.... It does not thrill me to be deafened by a roar. Nor does it need anymore power in my oppionion. But if need be I guess if its the way to go I will consider it.

So I guess I need a review on the jetting and all for these with something like a supertrap or whatever. I just thinking slip on muffler here. Nothing fancy.

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #12 - 10/15/04 at 08:38:02

There's a stock muffler for sale on ebay at the moment...

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 10/15/04 at 08:50:28

Thank Susan. I looked yesterday and did not see one...

I take a gander....

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 03:12:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Lost a Exhaust header bolt today...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.