Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Newbie with "jetting" questions (Read 11 times)
2wheelingwoman
Ex Member

Newbie with "jetting" questions
09/25/04 at 13:46:20

I bought a used 2002 LS650PK2 three days ago, then took it in for a tuneup yesterday (since no service had ever been done on it).  Lips Sealed   I thought maybe the tuneup would resolve the problem I experienced with it backfiring - and scaring the beejeebers out of me the first time it did it.  No such luck.  However, now that I've found this site and have been doing some reading, I guess that backfiring comes with the bike.  I've been reading about "jetting out the exhaust" and things like that, but my brain is on overload.  Can anyone explain in simple "blonde" language what this means?  I have a Clymer manual on order, so that may help me understand my new bike better.

I've ridden a Yamaha Virago for the past couple of years, and it was time to move up to something with a ilttle more oompth.  And so far, backfires or no backfires, I LOVE THIS BIKE!!!  Kiss   I took it for just about 30 miles up in the hills on some twisties this morning, and it was just awesome. Love it, love it, love it!  Grin

Thanks for your help!  This seems like a great resource with some really knowledgable (and funny!) people here.

IP Logged
Jon
Ex Member

Re: Newbie with "jetting" questions
Reply #1 - 09/25/04 at 14:24:11

A popular topic, the carb is running lean.  Remove the plastic spacer on the slide needle and replace with a #4 Radio Shack washer reduced to the same diameter as the spacer.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #2 - 09/26/04 at 03:25:34

2wheelingwoman wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
I bought a used 2002 LS650PK2 three days ago, then took it in for a tuneup yesterday (since no service had ever been done on it).  Lips Sealed   I thought maybe the tuneup would resolve the problem I experienced with it backfiring - and scaring the beejeebers out of me the first time it did it.  No such luck.  However, now that I've found this site and have been doing some reading, I guess that backfiring comes with the bike.  I've been reading about "jetting out the exhaust" and things like that, but my brain is on overload.  Can anyone explain in simple "blonde" language what this means?  I have a Clymer manual on order, so that may help me understand my new bike better.

I've ridden a Yamaha Virago for the past couple of years, and it was time to move up to something with a ilttle more oompth.  And so far, backfires or no backfires, I LOVE THIS BIKE!!!  Kiss   I took it for just about 30 miles up in the hills on some twisties this morning, and it was just awesome. Love it, love it, love it!  Grin

Thanks for your help!  This seems like a great resource with some really knowledgable (and funny!) people here.

Those little 250 Viragos are nice looking bikes.  The last of the Virago line by Yamaha, but welcome to our Savage world, now.

When you get your manual will you or someone else be able to disassemble the carb?

The you will need to follow some of the other topics like "Discoloring Pipes" to get the info to rid your Savage of the backfires.

Ride Safe.

IP Logged
Bernice Manning

Reply #3 - 09/26/04 at 07:45:16

Thanks for the info.  Yep, my hubby will be able to help out with whatever I need.  I'm hoping to become somewhat independent on caring for my bike as time goes on, so intend to get greasy myself, but with supervision.  Wink

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #4 - 09/26/04 at 13:10:38

Bernice Manning wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Thanks for the info.  Yep, my hubby will be able to help out with whatever I need.  I'm hoping to become somewhat independent on caring for my bike as time goes on, so intend to get greasy myself, but with supervision.  Wink

I have been doing the same thing.  This is my first bike but I want to be able to manage it and take care of it myself.  It's very feasible with this bike because it is so simple -- single cylinder, belt drive.  It is nice to have my hubby as backup but I'm enjoying doing the wrenching myself.   Grin  You'll find lots of people here willing to help if you get stuck on something.

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 09:36:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Newbie with "jetting" questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!