Send Topic Print
drive belt melting! (Read 17 times)
charliebrown
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

so california
drive belt melting!
09/21/04 at 22:03:36

About three weeks ago i was out on a ride when my belt failed. To my supprise my rear pully had melted belt on it. I ordered a new belt $175 us dollers. i installed the new belt and left the belt guards off went 1\2 mile up the street and back dident notice any weird noise but upon inspection when i got back the belt had started to melt again. If anyone has any exp with this please let me know, also how do you allign the pullys? i suspect it is a friction issue that can be fixed by alligning pullys. please help is badly needed i cant afford to keep buying new belts till i fix the problem. thanks

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: drive belt melting!
Reply #1 - 09/22/04 at 02:56:36

First of all, are the rear wheel adjusters in the same position on each side (I would assume so, since you changed the belt)?

What is the belt rubbing on?

Sounds like the rear pulley is mis-aligned with the wheel if everything else is correct.  What about the pulley spacer and bearings on the rear axle?  What about the rubber bushings in the pulley

IP Logged
charliebrown
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

so california
Reply #2 - 09/24/04 at 11:54:48

the weel ajusters are in the same position. the belt from what i can tell is not rubbing on anything. the pulley spacer and bearings on the rear axle how do i test to see if that is causing the problem. also i have no idea where the rubber  bushings in the pulley are located. thanks for the leads so far and any more insight is greatly appreated. thanks again

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 09/25/04 at 02:30:19

charliebrown wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
the weel ajusters are in the same position. the belt from what i can tell is not rubbing on anything. the pulley spacer and bearings on the rear axle how do i test to see if that is causing the problem. also i have no idea where the rubber  bushings in the pulley are located. thanks for the leads so far and any more insight is greatly appreated. thanks again

There are rubber bushings between the pulley hub and the rear wheel...the pulley is not directly mounted to the wheel.  The pulley also has a bearing on the axle.  There is a spacer on the axle bolt between the pulley and the swing arm on the left side.

I'm beginning to wonder is there is heat generated from something other than the pulleys in order for the belt to melt.  Something has to make the belt pretty hot...normally the belt will only be slightly warm when riding.  The belt isn't too tight is it?

IP Logged
AL_DOWN_UNDER
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/27/04 at 22:56:14

HEY CHARLIE IAM INTRESTED TO HEAR WHAT THE PROBLEM IS. ANY WAY HAVE YOU CHECK TO SEE IF ANY THING IS STUCK IN THE BELT GAURD. OR BEHIND THE FRONT PULLY COVER OR HOW ABOUT THE BELT ADJUSTMENT.  KEEP US POSTED GOOD LUCK Shocked

IP Logged
charliebrown
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

so california
Reply #5 - 09/28/04 at 15:50:40

ok i see what you talking about now i will have to check the rubberbushings for the pully and the bairings as soo as i get back from a bizness trip to vegas. i ran the bike with no beltguards and it did the same thing. so i have to belive the heat is comming from the pullys. anyways thanks for all your guys help. and i will keep you posted as soon as i get back on the 1st

IP Logged
Tad_Anderson
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 09/30/04 at 17:21:01

charliebrown wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
ok i see what you talking about now i will have to check the rubberbushings for the pully and the bairings as soo as i get back from a bizness trip to vegas. i ran the bike with no beltguards and it did the same thing. so i have to belive the heat is comming from the pullys. anyways thanks for all your guys help. and i will keep you posted as soon as i get back on the 1st

Sounds like your bearings are dry/bad and heating up the pullys, thus melting the belt?

-Tad

IP Logged
AL_DOWN_UNDER
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 09/30/04 at 23:02:59

WHAT ABOUT CHECKING THE BATTERY TO SEE IF ITS LEAKY ANY ACID Shocked

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 10/01/04 at 02:31:51

Tad_Anderson wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Sounds like your bearings are dry/bad and heating up the pullys, thus melting the belt?

-Tad

Seems like, for that much heat to cook the belt there would be a sound, a smell, or even smoke to give a clue.  After all it sounds like it happens pretty quickly when riding.

Here are the rubber bushings behind the pulley....

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #9 - 10/01/04 at 03:05:16

What us Brits would call a cush drive.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
charliebrown
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

so california
Reply #10 - 10/02/04 at 09:44:35

wow i dident know the pulley came apart like that. thanks for the pic greg. i think you guys might be on the right track. i cant wait to work on the bike tonight when i get home. thanks for all the input i willkeep you guys posted.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 10/02/04 at 10:10:31

klx650sm2002 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
What us Brits would call a cush drive.

Clive W  Cheesy

I wonder what Americaners call it....especially noting that terminology is critical.  Are they cushions or bushings?  Is it a shock isolating rubber mounted floating pulley system?  That would be SIRMFPS for short.

Rubber thingies is good enough for me  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #12 - 10/02/04 at 10:17:04

charliebrown wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
wow i dident know the pulley came apart like that. thanks for the pic greg. i think you guys might be on the right track. i cant wait to work on the bike tonight when i get home. thanks for all the input i willkeep you guys posted.

After you jack the bike up nice and steady and pull the axle bolt (axle rod or shaft?) the pulley comes off as a separate mating piece from the wheel.

You'll appreciate the simplicity even more during reassembly when you juggle the brake hub, wheel and pulley while installing the axle, spacers, adjusters and getting the belt on the pulley all at the same time  Shocked

Have fun.

IP Logged
AL_DOWN_UNDER
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 10/30/04 at 04:44:50

charlie if ya still alive i shaw would like to know what was making ya belt melt .
i hate it when people don,t finish things . its like days of our lifes you just got to keep watching .
well its about 430am your time iam going to bed. :'(

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #14 - 10/30/04 at 07:14:25

Holy crap!  Al found the caps lock key and quit yelling at us!

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 22:45:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › drive belt melting!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.