Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
To tighten cylinder head nuts or not? (Read 8 times)
lagagnon
Ex Member

To tighten cylinder head nuts or not?
09/20/04 at 14:55:12

I am about to perform the 1000km (600mi.) service on my 2004 Savage. There has been some discussion on the heise-workstations forum about the usefulness/need to tighten the cylinder head nuts.

I feel quite capable of performing the other service items myself, but the idea of removing the cylinder head cover makes me sweat slightly!

I would love to hear from the more experienced on this forum about their opinions of whether I should do that part of the service, how difficult it is, etcetera...

I also undersand there is some sort of sealant on the cylinder head cover. If so, what is it and how does one remove the old stuff and apply the new stuff? This is not mentioned in the Clymer manual.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

IP Logged
Honda_fan
2004 No Login

Go Ride!

Antioch, IL
Re: To tighten cylinder head nuts or not?
Reply #1 - 09/20/04 at 18:48:43

I highly recommend doing this. I had 2 bolts/nuts that seemed barely tight when going thru the procedure. I think I would have been prone to a blown head gasket if left in this condition. I spread some gasket sealer on the plug sides when replacing and have not had a leak. That was 1400 miles ago now. The worst part was readjusting the valves. I had a hard time getting my fingers in those little openings.

IP Logged
AL_DOWN_UNDER
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 09/20/04 at 23:41:57

MATE ITS A PRETTY BIG JOB TO DO ON A NEW BIKE . IF IT ISN,T BROKEN DON,T FIX IT . Tongue

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 09/21/04 at 02:22:48

lagagnon wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
I am about to perform the 1000km (600mi.) service on my 2004 Savage. There has been some discussion on the heise-workstations forum about the usefulness/need to tighten the cylinder head nuts.

I feel quite capable of performing the other service items myself, but the idea of removing the cylinder head cover makes me sweat slightly!

I would love to hear from the more experienced on this forum about their opinions of whether I should do that part of the service, how difficult it is, etcetera...

I also undersand there is some sort of sealant on the cylinder head cover. If so, what is it and how does one remove the old stuff and apply the new stuff? This is not mentioned in the Clymer manual.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

I am not one to recommend dealer service if it can be done  by the owner, but in this case, I'd let the dealer do this work.  This way your warranty stays intact and if any problems arise they will be responsible to fix them.  Make sure to mention the head plug to them and your concern that it is correctly installed when they do the work.

There is a sealant needed...There is another topic that goes into this detail  Smiley

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 09/26/04 at 05:31:37

This topic isn't quite dead yet, and it appears that there are many Savage owners that do not realize that we have a little Savage gathering here...too bad too, as you can tell by this rider's problem.

This article comes from the September issue of Rider magazine and my favorite section titled Tech Q & A.  I quess that since most magazines concentrate so much energy on high powered v-twin cruisers that even they are out of the loop with our Big Single thumper....

The reader asks, "are they misinformed?"   I'd say, yes.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 09/26/04 at 05:42:54

And there's more....not to let the uninformed be further misinformed, I fired off this email to the editor of Rider magazine, complete with pictures  Tada!  Shocked

Let's see if they publish this....

Dear Mark,

One of my favorite sections in your magazine is Andy's Tech Q&A and when the first subject in the September issue concerned my favorite thumper, it was immediate reading.  Please allow me to explain the "Plug Leak" on the reader's 2001 Suzuki 650 Savage.

I agree with Andy's statement about the necessity of retorqing head nuts that may already be tight enough.  Especially if an oil leak is present and has nothing to do with torque.  The Savage has a rubber plug in the head that allows access to the front right head nut and is a common source of an annoying oil leak.  Since Terry had the bike serviced at 4000 miles, there is no doubt that the dealer didn't reseal this plug correctly.  This plug can only be reached by removing the head cover, but here I must disagree with Andy's Answer.  No need to replace that expensive head gasket.

The head cover, head, and cylinder too, may be removed with the engine still in the frame.  With the head cover removed, access to the rubber plug is easy with the hardest part being surface cleaning, sealing and reassembly.  Did I mention removing the seat, tank, top engine mount, a couple dozen bolts and readjusting the valves?  It is just a 5 hour job and all that is needed is red high temperature silicone sealer.

All this makes a good rainy day project for an average wrenchhead.  Since Terry contacted you via email, I will gladly explain this process in the same manner.  Feel free to send him my address.  Also, Terry can find myself and other Savage riders at the web site forum "www.suzukisavage.com" where these issues are often discussed in great detail.

Thanks to Andy for Tech Q & A, and Ride Safe.

Greg DuBois
PO Box 633
Arden, NC 28704

PS- We have 2 Savages, and I am attaching a photo of  the head removed (for a new gasket) and one of the rubber plug.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 19:38:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › To tighten cylinder head nuts or not?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.