Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Kuryakyn grips
Reply #30 - 09/01/04 at 15:19:21

The Vista Cruise Lock is a spring loaded friction lock that when you flip the lever puts just enough pressure on the throttle to keep it for turning by itself.  (I've seen others do the same thing by sticking something between the throotle grip anf the throttle housing.)  

It isn't a real "lock" and I think that thought worries some people, but when it is ON, you can still turn it anyway.  All you have to do is flip it with your thumb to turn it off.  You can still take your hand off and use it for any important scratching or rearranging that you may need to do  Roll Eyes  I love it...this is my second bike with one.

This picture was taken to show a different place that I mounted the helmet lock (saddle bags were in the way), but it shows the Vista Cruise lock on the stock grips....

PS - I have found 2 other places to put the helmet locks when saddle bags cover the original place.

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #31 - 09/01/04 at 18:48:29

Sounds like the Throttle Boss wouldn't give you what you want.  I like it but you can't take your hand completely off.

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #32 - 09/02/04 at 02:32:03

Just curious because I know that some bigger bikes (a Victory, for sure) comes with a device that is an extension of the grip and acts like the Vista Cruise....and it looks like the Throttle Boss, too.

IP Logged
jendesigner
2004 No Login

Stop, Drop and Chop

Chicago suburbs
Reply #33 - 09/02/04 at 06:15:27

I got my grips yesterday and putting them on tonight. Greg, thanks for the helmeet lock idea. Where are the other two places you mentioned? I don't have one on my bike and I don't like leaving it unlocked so I carry a lock and chain but that would be easier. Thanks.

PS: I got the stilletto ends for my grips, should look great with my Z bars. Will post photos later.

Jen
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #34 - 09/02/04 at 14:50:38

jendesigner wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
I got my grips yesterday and putting them on tonight. Greg, thanks for the helmeet lock idea. Where are the other two places you mentioned? I don't have one on my bike and I don't like leaving it unlocked so I carry a lock and chain but that would be easier. Thanks.

PS: I got the stilletto ends for my grips, should look great with my Z bars. Will post photos later.

The best place that I found works great, but is useless if you have an engine guard (forward controls should be no problem).

Actually, I've gone full circle on this.... Roll Eyes  I installed saddle bags so I moved it here by using one of the tapped holes for the reflectors (which I took off anyway).  Then I installed the engine guard, but then a helmet wouldn't fit.  So I moved it to the handlebar.  Then I removed my saddle bags (gonna just throw them over the seat) so I moved it back again.

This one works good because the helmet hangs away from the engine, but it's shielded by the bike against light rain and sunshine when it's on the side stand.  The other spot on the handlebar works okay, but the helmet will get rain in it upside down.  A really good place would be out off the front forks, but I just haven't tried that yet.

To do this, you remove the reflector and drill a small hole for the guide pin on the back of the lock.  Not too complex.  To be safe, put the lock on your helmet and see if it will fit there.

Got a good convex shot of me in there too  Tongue

IP Logged
jendesigner
2004 No Login

Stop, Drop and Chop

Chicago suburbs
Reply #35 - 09/07/04 at 06:15:14

OK, I got the grips on. I love them! Took longer than the "20 minutes" they have on the instructions. I put on the stilletto ends also, goes well with the Z bars and also the throttle boss. I put a link to my photo section on Yahoo.

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jendesigner/album?.tok=pherjNBB6Zmni94S&.dir...

On to the next project!

Jen
  IP Logged
jajke
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

2002 Savage

Minnesota, U.S.A.
Reply #36 - 09/10/04 at 22:05:46

OK, I got the grips on. I love them! Took longer than the "20 minutes" they have on the instructions. I put on the stilletto ends also, goes well with the Z bars and also the throttle boss. I put a link to my photo section on Yahoo.

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jendesigner/album?.tok=pherjNBB6Zmni94S&.dir...

On to the next project!

Jen,

I wasn't able to look at the picture (can't find file message).
Question: did you have to file/sand the groves and the rings in the plastic throtle sleeve?
I've just got my new grips, removed the old ones in about 10 minutes (I was lucky, not much glue), left one goes in easily, but the right one goes in up to the first ring and then gets stuck (also I left the chrome piece that came with the original grip just to see what it look like, should I not leave it in?)
Trying to get a picture to show you what it looks like.

Thanks!

Jaime

Jaime Ajke
2002 Savage
Minnesota
  IP Logged
jajke
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

2002 Savage

Minnesota, U.S.A.
Reply #37 - 09/10/04 at 22:13:39

On to the next project!

Let's try this:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ajkej/detail?.dir=91e1&.dnm=fd85.jpg

You should be able to see the chrome ring (top left of the grip) covering the first ring, you can see part of the second ring and then the groves.

Jaime

Jaime Ajke
2002 Savage
Minnesota
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #38 - 09/11/04 at 02:48:08

What's the problem?  Is the grip glued in that position?

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #39 - 09/11/04 at 06:37:28

jajke wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
...Question: did you have to file/sand the groves and the rings in the plastic throtle sleeve?
I've just got my new grips, removed the old ones in about 10 minutes (I was lucky, not much glue), left one goes in easily, but the right one goes in up to the first ring and then gets stuck (also I left the chrome piece that came with the original grip just to see what it look like, should I not leave it in?)...

Jaime -- See my detailed post above (posted 9/1) about what you need to do.  You do have to take off the chrome ring and you do have to sand down the ridges and rings on the throttle sleeve.  Susan

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
jajke
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

2002 Savage

Minnesota, U.S.A.
Reply #40 - 09/11/04 at 20:00:32

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
What's the problem?  Is the grip glued in that position?

Greg,

Sorry forthe confusion. No, the grip is not glued in that position, I was just trying it before gluing and wasn't sure about keeping the chrome ring or not.
I ended up sanding off the groves/ridges, and the two rings before the ridges (going up from the bottom of the grip).
I re-read Susan's posting which gave me the answer I needed, also it was a great idea to use a Dremel tool, can't think of the times that little tool has come in handy.
I now have my new Kuryakyn grips (which look mighty nice) and have to stop spending so much money in accesories (at least for now  Smiley )

Jaime

Jaime Ajke
2002 Savage
Minnesota
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #41 - 09/12/04 at 02:34:25

jajke wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Greg,

Sorry forthe confusion. No, the grip is not glued in that position, I was just trying it before gluing and wasn't sure about keeping the chrome ring or not.
I ended up sanding off the groves/ridges, and the two rings before the ridges (going up from the bottom of the grip).
I re-read Susan's posting which gave me the answer I needed, also it was a great idea to use a Dremel tool, can't think of the times that little tool has come in handy.
I now have my new Kuryakyn grips (which look mighty nice) and have to stop spending so much money in accesories (at least for now  Smiley )

Jaime

Great.  I'm glad that didn't happen or we'd have to start a new topic like "Removing Kuryakyn Grips" because I understand that the glue is a bear to remove  Tongue

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #42 - 12/18/04 at 12:35:01

Well, I just got some of these beauties and I searched for this thread before installing them.  I love them.  They were quite easy to install and that adhesive is phenomenal stuff.  I took Susan's advice and draped a dropcloth over the bike before doing any sanding of the ridges on the throttle tube.  I'm quite sure that simplified cleanup a lot.  Also, I was unable to locate my dremel so I just used a wood rasp to remove the ridges on the throttle tube.  That actually worked very easily (maybe 7-8 minutes) and wound up with larger, less powdery filings to clean up than if I'd sanded them off.  The rest went just like the instructions said.  The entire thing probably took me 40 minutes including cleanup.  The hardest part was removing the chrome plastic ring/band on the left side because it was glued on.  The one on the right side came right off.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #43 - 12/19/04 at 17:50:54

I'm glad all the details were helpful. Aren't the grips great? I love mine. Couldn't imagine being without them!  Grin

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #44 - 12/20/04 at 07:14:08

They are truly comfortable.  I had a bit of a fright though.  The next day my throttle was locked up completely.  I had to twist it pretty hard to break it free but it turns normally now.  The only remaining problem is that it doesn't snap back correctly on release.  I think some of the glue probably made it between the end of the throttle tube and the bar.  I intend to remove the end cap from the grip and see if I can clean anything up any better.  I can't imagine actually trying to remove the grip now.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 10:24:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Kuryakyn grips

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.