Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Re: Kuryakyn grips
Reply #15 - 08/24/04 at 13:28:23

Hey Greg, Can you do me a favor and measure the circumference of your Kuryakyn grips when you get a chance?  I would like to compare them to the stock ones.  Am hoping they aren't too much larger...

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #16 - 08/24/04 at 13:55:47

Measured with a ruler, the chrome tube part is 1 1/2" in diameter.  Measuring across the 2 sets of rubber cushions that stick out is 1 5/8", but they are hollow rubber that compresses nicely.

The stock grips are about 1 7/16".

Circumference?  1 1/2" x 3.14 = 4.71" and 1 7/16" x 3.14 = 4.51", so essentially the Kuryakyn grips are less than a 1/4" bigger around.

Hope that helps.

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #17 - 08/24/04 at 21:16:49

Thanks Greg.  You rock the shade tree!

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #18 - 08/25/04 at 05:38:15

Nice one Greg.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #19 - 08/25/04 at 08:48:11

Roll Eyes  I just wish my keyboard had a key for "Pi".

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #20 - 08/25/04 at 09:33:28

Mine does! p  Wink

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #21 - 08/25/04 at 11:53:40

If I'm without calculator I use 22/7.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #22 - 08/25/04 at 14:12:06

klx650sm2002 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
If I'm without calculator I use 22/7.

Clive W  Cheesy

If I'm without a calculator, I use 3 and just add "a little bit" more  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Munson_kl279
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 08/31/04 at 14:02:07

Here is a link to the grips I just put on my Savage, so far they work great.  They slipped right on and lined up perfect.  Of cause they were made to go on the Savage.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2487145580...

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #24 - 08/31/04 at 14:33:15

Well, we can call this competition simply, "Get a grip"  Roll Eyes

I don't know if I'd want a hard grip like that, but they look real  nice.  Add another custom look to our Savage bag.

Funny that I never heard of them before....BUT do you notice that it says they are for the Intruder and the Savage?  That is what I've wondered all along.  Does the Intruder have a "push/pull" cable setup?  That would make the throttle tube the same, I bet.  Just how many parts are interchangeable between the 2 bikes?

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #25 - 08/31/04 at 21:43:00

jendesigner wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
I'm ordering some for two friends also, one has a Vulcan 750, the other is a Vulcan 500. I see a Kuryakyn night in the future.

I had my Kuryakyn night tonight -- it went well.   8)  My husband helped me on this project.  I could have done it alone, but it was easier with two people and he was able to muscle the grips off intact -- I would probably have had to cut them.  Here's what we did:
  • Got the Kuryakyn ISO Grips (#6240) and the ISO Throttle Boss (#6250).
  • Pried off the end cap of each grip with a screwdriver.  Used screwdriver to lift up the ends of the left grip and sprayed silicone lubricant inside the grip to loosen the glue.  Was then able to muscle the grip off without destroying it.
  • Cleaned the residual glue off the handlebar with a heat gun, a rag, and adhesive remover (there was quite a bit of glue).
  • On the right side, did not need to use the spray as the grip is resting on the throttle sleeve ridges.  Was able to muscle the grip off intact.  Then took off the remaining rubber and metal ring.  Left the plastic throttle sleeve on the bike.
  • We then had to get rid of the raised ridges and rings on the plastic sleeve.  The only ring we left was the one closest to the adjacent housing.  We used a dremel tool with a sanding bit to smooth the plastic.   It worked like a dream -- took less than 10 minutes to get the plastic ready.
  • IMPORTANT NOTE: Be smarter than me and cover as much of the bike as possible when sanding.  I covered the tank, but the plastic dust/pieces went everywhere and I had to vacuum them up.  Would have been very bad if the bike had been hot (think of little bits of plastic melting everywhere  Shocked).
  • After cleaning up the bike and the grips, we then put them on (without glue) to decide on the correct position.  On each side, we took two strips of masking tape, put one on the bike right by the grip and the other on the end of the grip near the bike.  When I figured out exactly where I wanted the grips, we made two marks on the tape on the grip with corresponding marks on the tape on the bike.  The idea was to make lining them up a cinch since others had mentioned that the glue dries super fast (instructions say this too).
  • Put glue on the bottom third of the handlebar and then slid the grip on.  The glue moved all the way up with the grip.  Used less glue on the second grip.
  • Installing the Throttle boss was simply a matter of taking 4 screws out, pulling off the end cap and trim piece on the grip, sliding in the Throttle boss, and putting 4 longer screws in (5 minutes tops).
Project took less than an hour including setup and cleanup.  Hope this helps someone.  As always, happy to answer questions.

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #26 - 09/01/04 at 02:29:37

You did good.  How do you like them?

How do you like the Throttle Boss?

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #27 - 09/01/04 at 12:01:46

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
You did good.  How do you like them?

How do you like the Throttle Boss?

Today is beautiful riding weather...just came in from a long ride.  I have my own business and work out of my house so on days like to day I just succumb and go riding for a few hours.  It doesn't really matter when I work as long as I get it done...

I LOVE the Throttle boss and the grips are cool too.  The Throttle boss lets me hold pressure on the throttle while resting my throttle hand -- a great improvement.  My teensy hands have been just aching after longer rides.  The grips are great too.  Much more comfy.  For anyone who rides a mountain bike -- it is like the difference between riding a bike with suspension vs. one without.  I am a happy camper today!

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #28 - 09/01/04 at 14:08:59

Just to make sure that I understand....does the Throttle Boss allow you to remove your hand from the throttle like the Vista Cruise Lock?

I had to modify my Vista Cruise to fit the larger Kuryakyn grips, but I think that the Throttle Boss looks better so I might like to get one.

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #29 - 09/01/04 at 14:23:17

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Just to make sure that I understand....does the Throttle Boss allow you to remove your hand from the throttle like the Vista Cruise Lock?

I had to modify my Vista Cruise to fit the larger Kuryakyn grips, but I think that the Throttle Boss looks better so I might like to get one.

Not sure how the Vista Cruise lock works but it sounds different.  The Throttle Boss is not like cruise control.  You can't set it and take your hand off for example.  The Throttle Boss is just another way to throttle.

Basically it allows you to manage the throttle with the edge of your palm instead of your whole hand.  What I like about it is that I can let go of the grip with my fingers (or wrap them loosely around the grip) and control the throttle by applying/releasing pressure with the edge of my palm.  

Does that make sense?  Is it the same or different with the Vista Cruise lock?

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 10:35:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Kuryakyn grips

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!