Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Changing Turnsignals (Read 18 times)
Munson_kl279
Ex Member

Changing Turnsignals
08/22/04 at 14:11:20

I just removed the OEM turnsignals on my 1986 Savage and started wiring new "custom" ones and I've been stumped.  I have everything wired and when I turn the signals on they just stay on and not blink. :'(  I've tried everything I can think of.  I'm hoping someone else had this problem and has been able to fix it.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Changing Turnsignals
Reply #1 - 08/23/04 at 02:11:35

What is the wattage on the new bulbs that you installed?

IP Logged
Munson_kl279
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/23/04 at 07:31:12

I'm not sure, there's nothing on the paperwork I received with them.  I'll have to take the lights apart to find out.  I wouldn't think that should have any affect though.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 08/23/04 at 08:56:22

Front or back?

IP Logged
Munson_kl279
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/23/04 at 10:33:53

Both, I just spoke with someone else and now I think I understand.  The bulbs I'm using are not high enough watts so it's like they are burnt out.

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #5 - 08/23/04 at 12:15:51

Low Wattage bulbs shouldn't make a diff, they'll just burn dimmer.  I do believe.

Now if you were plugging 6 volt bulbs in a 12 volt system that might make a diff.

Are you sure it wired to the turnsignal circuit not the running lights?

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
Munson_kl279
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 08/23/04 at 12:26:36

Yep, I spent all day Saturday and Sunday trying different things with the same results.  I used the original wires on the bike to hook the new lights to.  The only way I could get them to work was is I hooked them in-line with the OEM lights.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 08/23/04 at 13:39:22

Your front signals are 3 wire (w/ running lights) and the rear are just 2 wire.  These are the correct lights, right?

As for watts...in DC that is volts X current.  Since the volts haven't changed, then if they are higher watt bulbs they require more current.  I'm thinking that if the wattage on the bulbs are too high then you don't have enough current to operate the flasher relay and they stay on.

If they are lower wattage they will blink faster than normal too....more power for the flasher.  You'll notice that when one bulb is out too (half watts).

Let me ask this....does your indicator plus both front and rear (on either side) stay on when this happens?

IP Logged
Munson_kl279
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 08/23/04 at 17:52:50

The new lights are single element.  The OEM front one were the 3 wire with duel element and the rear ones were 2 wire single element.  

Yes the indicator light stays lite as well as the lights themselves.  I've also spoken with my guy at the local auto shop and he told me that since the new lights are only 10 watts each and the OEM lights were 23 watts that the new ones are not pulling enough power to cause the blinker relay to work.

I've tried finding new bulbs but due to the size of the new lights I have not been able to find ones that are the same size and have the higher watts.

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #9 - 08/23/04 at 23:33:29

Quote:
Low Wattage bulbs shouldn't make a diff, they'll just burn dimmer.  I do believe.

Most modern blinkers will quit if you burn out a bulb. This is a similar problem as the circuit only sees less than 1/2 the current it used to see w/ the 23W bulbs.
So now it thinks one of them is burnt out.

Hmmm, Mr.Ohm says E/IxR or W=ExI, so we need to pull the same current as the old bulbs to make the blinkers click. Undecided
(Ya’ll please check  my math, used to do this long ago)
Try this on for size;
Old bulbs were 23W= 12V x I or 23W/12V = 1.916666 Amps or just say they pull 2 amps.

You now have only 10 W/12V or .8333333 amps/bulb.
We need more amps. ???

23W-10W =13W, we need 13 more watts to get back to where we were so,
13W/12V=1.08333333 or just say we need to pull about one more amp (per bulb). R=12v/1A or a 12 ohm resistor rated like 15 to 20 watts.
Go with the higher wattage that will fit inside the housing. May be easier to find a more powerful 20 to 25 watt bulb that fits your new socket or add 1 more bulb for each housing than attempt to parallel a resistor across each socket.
Therefore, if you cannot find a 20W to 25W bulb to fit in your existing socket, then you could use four resistors of approximately 12 ohms, rated 15 watts, or more, across each existing bulb or parallel a second 10W bulb in each housing. Check Radio Shack or local electronics supply house. Look at the parts to see if thay are small enough to fit inside the blinker housing. Then just parallel each resistor (or second 10W to 12W bulb) across each existing bulb. Grin
It should work;

1st check to see if you can find bulbs that are rated 20 to 25 watts that will just plug in, if not
I hope the new resistors or new bulbs will fit in your smaller blinker housings. Those little resistors that look like little ceramic bricks ought to do the job.
My brand new '86-'03 Clymer manual just hit the mail slot. I will need to study it for a while; there is likely a better way.

Seems like the High Plains Thumper worked on similar problems a couple of years ago only they were using the cool new LEDs too.
Opps, that website is down. Embarrassed

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 08/24/04 at 02:15:04

And what about the dimmer burning bulbs at 10 watts?  Will they be as visible?

The really bad part is that they can't be returned if they don't work right...

IP Logged
Munson_kl279
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 08/24/04 at 05:12:56

I found out that the best way to fix the problem is with a load equalizer.  I was able to find them for $4.95 a piece.  Supposedly I need one for each side.  I went  ahead and picked up 4 of them (in case I need one for each light or if I screw one up! Wink)  I'll let you know if it works when they come in.

IP Logged
Munson_kl279
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 08/27/04 at 07:19:31

Well, I ordered the Stage I equalizers from CustomLED.com and guess what...They didn't work!! ???

I even tried hooking four of the equalizers up to the same side of the bike and it didn't make a difference.

I guess they just are not pulling enough juice to makeup the difference.  I have an e-mail into the company to see if they have any suggestions, or I guess I will be returning them.

I figure until I can get something worked out I can either manually flip the lights on and off or I can just use hand signals! Tongue

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #13 - 08/27/04 at 10:03:34

What are these Eq's? How are they supposed to worK?
In the mean time try those resistors across the new lights. they should only be about $1  ea. or less. Wink

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Munson_kl279
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 08/27/04 at 11:24:53

The equalizers actually pull more watts to cause the signal to think the light bulb is bigger than it really is.

I just found out the reason the equalizers that I bought didn't work was because they are only pulling an additional 2 watts each.

I need to make up atleast a 26 watt difference per side. Shocked That's a big difference.  The company I bought the Stage I equalizers from do sell ones that are supposedly 27 watt equallizers.

I guess I'm going to have to try those.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/14/24 at 11:28:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Changing Turnsignals

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.