Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Painting a Helmet
08/19/04 at 19:07:47

Anyone out there painted a helmet before?  Any words of advice before I try it?

I don't want to do anything real fancy -- just change the color...

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Painting a Helmet
Reply #1 - 08/20/04 at 10:39:15

I don't know.  Never done that...I would do this if I wanted to paint it.

Rough it up with some 200 grit paper.  You don't have to remove color or anything but give the paint something good to stick to.  Tape the helmet around the openings real good and maybe stuff newspaper inside it, too.  If your helmet has a removable liner, that's even better.

Get a good grade of primer, clean the helmet good and spray it evenly.  Let dry completely

Buy a lacquer paint if possible.  It dries so much faster and is less touchy about contact with oils etc or high humidity when painting..  Do your painting at around 75-80 degrees  and use light coats.  Maybe do a little wet sanding if you need to.

Hmmm, what else would I do?  Oh yeah, consider a clear coat...must also be lacquer to be compatible.

You can also go to an auto parts store....they have some neat kits for a metal flake finish or some of those reflective paints that change colors with the angle of light.

That's all that I know.

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #2 - 08/20/04 at 10:58:10

Research it for sure,  it may not be the case today, but years ago in my first riding life, painting with the wrong stuff would severely weaken the plastics used in a helmet.  

Helmets may be better now in that respect, but I'd still check with the manufacturer for advice.

You don't want your helmet to let you down when you need it.

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 08/20/04 at 11:13:22

I remember those days....solid color helmets in a choice of white or black (maybe red too).  Basic ugly style, too.  I thought that those helmets were simply molded plastic shells, though, and what you mention might be a consideration in that case.

But aren't modern helmets a fiberglas molded shell that is eventually painted anyway?  If so, paint on paint would be just fine.  I think that it is a lot cheaper for the manufacturer to mold the same shell and apply different paints.  I could be wrong....I just know how I'd attempt to paint it if I wanted to  ???

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #4 - 08/20/04 at 12:25:15

Greg and Gitarzan -- Thanks for the ideas and words of advice.  I definitely don't want to weaken the helmet so I will check into it but I imagine Greg is probably right that it is ok with today's helmets.  Can't hurt to check though.  Will let you know what I found out.

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #5 - 08/23/04 at 12:43:34

Gitarzan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Research it for sure,  it may not be the case today, but years ago in my first riding life, painting with the wrong stuff would severely weaken the plastics used in a helmet.  

Helmets may be better now in that respect, but I'd still check with the manufacturer for advice.

You don't want your helmet to let you down when you need it.

Thanks again for the advice.  I did check with HJC and they said it was o.k.  Even told me how to do it!  Their note is pasted below.
-------------------------------------
Susan,

The correct and safest way to paint our helmets is by using a two stage eurethane automotive paint (base coat / clear coat combination).  Automotive type paint is what's used at our factory in Korea. In preparing your helmets, do not remove any of the rubber trim or vents, rather, mask them with a high grade 3M painters masking tape. Scuff all the shiny surface with a high grade wet / dry 3M automotive sanding paper (320 grit - 400 grit).    Wipe your helmet down with some wax / grease remover to clean off all the excess sanding powder. Then spray your base coat - let dry - spray your clear coat.

Please make note that any modifications made to your helmet are subject to possibly having the warranty void at our determination.  

If you have any other question feel free to email me back or you can get in touch with me @ 562 741-1152. Hope this helps!

Isac
Paint Tech
HJC America

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 08/23/04 at 13:14:26

Funny....I think that I like that way that HJC guy thinks  8)

As I said go to an auto parts store.  Now you've got me thinking about painting my own too.  Getting tired of black.  Maybe 2000 Savage Green would be good.

BTW- I forget which topic but HJC also makes a flip-up full face helmet like my Nolan.  I have a friend with one.

IP Logged
domino
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 08/23/04 at 17:41:50

Hey greg...I also have a 2000 metalic green savage. I looked for weeks and could not find a Helmet to match. Seems Green is not a desired color, unless you want Kawasaki Lime Green.......(puke).....If ya paint it let me know....Might just do that myself.....cheers

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 08/24/04 at 01:56:09

I found a metallic green touch up paint in a parts store that is a close match...but not perfect.

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #9 - 08/24/04 at 06:28:20

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
I found a metallic green touch up paint in a parts store that is a close match...but not perfect.

You can get an exact match at http://www.color-rite.com if you want.  They carry the green for the 2000.  They're not cheap but it would be an exact match.  To find the paint, just choose motorcycle, then your year, bike manufacturer and model.

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 08/24/04 at 08:43:41

Susan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
You can get an exact match at http://www.color-rite.com if you want.  They carry the green for the 2000.  They're not cheap but it would be an exact match.  To find the paint, just choose motorcycle, then your year, bike manufacturer and model.

Oh now you're teasing me with all kinds of options.  $31 for a spray can.  The color is British Racing Green Y7G.  Cool. Shocked

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 21:22:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Painting a Helmet

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.