Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Hand injuries, extensive computer use, and riding (Read 16 times)
Junkboy
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

New Mexico
Hand injuries, extensive computer use, and riding
08/19/04 at 17:20:48

Hello. I just got my savage over a week ago and have put more than 300 miles on it around town. I am a heavy computer user; database entry by day, digital video editing by night. I also injured my right wrist last spring while doing Karate (my fist met with a lunging knee).

Anyway, I noticed that since riding my hands and wrists hurt a lot more. The vibration, gripping, and lack or agronomics (is that the right word?) is adding stress to my already overused hands.

The bike is now one of my main forms of transportation. The other is a 1963 Ford F100 in need of restoration. Besides, I would rather give up my job than the bike  because I am hooked.

I am wondering if anyone has some suggestions as to how to improve my riding so that my hands and wrists arent so negatively effected. thanks.

IP Logged
Watnys
Ex Member

Re: Hand injuries, extensive computer use, and rid
Reply #1 - 08/19/04 at 18:42:17

Had the same problem. I even tried wearing different types of gloves with gel palm insets. What finally worked for me are Kuryakyn ISO-grips. They are amazing. Now I can ride even without gloves. Also, the nuts on the handlebar riser stems were not properly torqued on my bike. Since the rubber bushings allow for some give, I didn’t notice right away that they were getting on the loose side except for the increasing vibration. Since then I have coated the stems with loc-tite.

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #2 - 08/19/04 at 19:05:08

Junkboy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
...Anyway, I noticed that since riding my hands and wrists hurt a lot more. The vibration, gripping, and lack or agronomics (is that the right word?) is adding stress to my already overused hands...

Grips will likely make the biggest difference.  You could also look at the setting on your shocks but it is probably more a vibration than a suspension issue.

One other thought is a massager.  I actually have early arthritis in my hands and sometimes when I wake up in the morning they ache like the d-i-c-kens.  We bought one of those back massagers (they sell them in lots of places) and I use it on my hands when they really hurt.  It makes quite a difference.

Of course I'd suggest starting with the grips as it is better to treat the problem than the symptoms if you can!  Glad you are enjoying your new ride!  Have you gotten used to the purple yet?   Grin

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
sunny
2004 No Login

rock this town

d/fw texas
Reply #3 - 08/20/04 at 08:06:14

another help might be to give your hands a little more exercise.
i am a musician so both my hands are equally stronger than the average person. when i go for long periods of not playing i use something called a grip master. it comes in different tensions and can be useful for increasing overall grip strength as well as individual finger strength.
you should be able to find them at the larger music centers.
just do not overdo as that can actually aggravate the problem. i occassionally have bouts of carpel tunnel syndrome and use a computer daily, but not doing data entry.

the theory here is that exercise increases muscle strength and blood flow to an area.

just my wooden nickel...

flatblack rat - 97

sun_rat
sunny76059   IP Logged
Jon

Reply #4 - 08/20/04 at 10:01:42

Your hands will strengthen with the miles and be less sensitive.  In the interim, try moving the handlebar fore/aft to change the grip angle until you find a more comfortable position.  Or, buy an S40, the bars have better ergos. Wink  

Also, get a Throttle Rocker to lighten the load on the right wrist.  It's a very worthwhile gadget, highly recommended.

http://www.throttlerocker.com/

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 08/20/04 at 10:06:19

I am wondering if anyone has some suggestions as to how to improve my riding so that my hands and wrists arent so negatively effected. thanks.

First of all, you are new to riding, and something like holding the clutch lever at a light might be a little tiring at first.  It has also been my experience that new riders tend to grip the bars too tightly from nervousness....you'll get over the white knuckle tendency with time.

Also, you might want to tinker with the bar and lever positions.  They aren't always in the best positions coming off the showroom floor.  The levers might be turned up or down too far, or the bars back or forward too much.

As for the computer use and your wrists, I hope that you don't go through the same difficulties as my spouse who was sidelined for several months last year after having necessary carpal tunnel surgery.  Her problem started with the computers and it caused a lot of pain when riding....and then through recovery she wasn't allowed to ride, either.  She is fine now on both the computer and the bike.

Check the bike ergonomics and try to relax.  Maybe get into a MSF school to help your confidence, and then if all else fails go to a doctor for some help with the wrists.

My Savage is my main transport too.  Ride safe.

IP Logged
Jon

Reply #6 - 08/20/04 at 10:06:27

p.s.

IMO, the original Throttle Rocker is far superior to their new velcro strap job.

IP Logged
Junkboy
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

New Mexico
Reply #7 - 08/20/04 at 15:24:01

thanks for the replies.
I will try the new grips and repositioning the handle bars.

I am gripping tighter then I will once I get used to it. I try to make myself aware of it and relax. I also put the bike in neutral a lot when at long lights. i am a big light watcher anyways, so i am pretty ready when it turns to punch it.

Luckily my gf is an acupuncturist. She is going to give me a treatment soon.  Grin

I will also exersize my hands more. i have little wimpy hands anyways. they could beef up.

btw, my bike is still purple. so far i have painted the fron fender silver. the purple is not staying although its not a bad color, just not my color.

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #8 - 08/20/04 at 19:34:32

...I also put the bike in neutral a lot when at long lights. i am a big light watcher anyways, so i am pretty ready when it turns to punch it...

In my MSF course (love the MSF course  Grin) they warned us not to use neutral at lights.  The thinking is we should always be prepared to immediately get out of the way if something happens and that the extra second it takes to put the bike in gear could be the difference between getting out of the way and getting hit.  They mentioned things like an accident at the intersection that spins out of control or a car that loses control and can't stop in time.  

On one of the other forums when this came up, someone mentioned that it had actually happened to them and if they hadn't been prepared and gotten out of the way, they would have been rear ended.

Just food for thought.  Glad to hear all is well with the bike.  You'll have to post pics once you get her repainted.

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #9 - 08/20/04 at 20:27:02

Quote:
On one of the other forums when this came up, someone mentioned that it had actually happened to them and if they hadn't been prepared and gotten out of the way, they would have been rear ended.

That hits home.   About 2 weeks ago I was about to take my bike to work, but at the last minute decided to take the Mazda.  On the way, sitting at a light some lady rear-ended me with a full sized van. It did $3k min damage to the car and I pulled some shoulder muscles. Not really that much, but it was intense at the moment.  I had to really lay on the brakes to avoid hitting the truck in front of me.   I think I did all the braking for me and the lady in the van behind me.

I laid off riding the bike for 2 weeks until my shoulder felt better and to be honest I was a little shaken knowing that if I was on the bike I probably would have been just a wet spot between that van and the heavy duty pickup in front of me.

So, THAT WHICH DOES NOT KILL ME MAKES ME STRONGER.  Or at least a little more cognizant of the possibility of getting nailed in traffic.

And, Susan's tip, while it would not have helped me then, really sound's like a good idea.  I think that I'll stop sitting in Neutral at intersections.

FWIW, if you are a Jerry springer fan, I learned that the lady with the van had it given to her by The Jerry Springer Show. The episode reran just four days after I was hit!  

Here's a link...
f9C72ez0KkJ:www.snponline.com/NEWS4-9/SPRINGER.htm+jerry+springer+waffle+house+evelyn&hl=en" target="_blank">http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cacheShockedf9C72ez0KkJ:www.snponline.com/NEWS4-9/SPRINGER.htm+jerry+springer+waffle+house+evelyn&hl=en

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 08/21/04 at 04:41:39

Susan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
In my MSF course (love the MSF course  Grin) they warned us not to use neutral at lights.  The thinking is we should always be prepared to immediately get out of the way if something happens and that the extra second it takes to put the bike in gear could be the difference between getting out of the way and getting hit.  They mentioned things like an accident at the intersection that spins out of control or a car that loses control and can't stop in time.  

Just food for thought.  Glad to hear all is well with the bike.  You'll have to post pics once you get her repainted.

Susan is quite right about the advice from the MSF course.  There are also other instances when being in gear is important...What if the vehicle behind you is already stopped?

This page that is posted on my web site comes from the AMA magazine.  The article concerns road rage against bikers, and this picture concerns a dump truck that ran over a biker at a light in Pittsburg.  Of particular interest (on the next page) is the fact that a witness saw the biker lift his left foot to the peg after the truck lurched forward....I can only assume that he was in nuetral and wanted to shift into gear.  The biker was hurt very badly and lost a leg.

IP Logged
Roadie

No, it's not a
Harley.

Lansing MI
Reply #11 - 08/21/04 at 05:48:19

First gear is always the choice when at the intersection for exactly the reason's outlined above.  Thank goodness I've never had to use it.  The other advice to tack on to that is don't fiddle about down with the controls or looking at crap below the horizon as it's about useless at a light.  Look in the mirrors, to your sides where traffic is comming and on comming.  Nothing down below is going to help or even do anything.  If you look down to make sure you're not in neutral, you've lost a second starin' at a light that lies to you sometimes anyways.  And besides you'll know every time when you're in first because foot peddle can't go down anymore.

The other thing that the writter mentions in the Indianapolis incident is that the cyclist was in the right to wait a sec.  I don't know how many stale to red lights I've seen cagers blow through even in my car, let alone on the bike.  Always check the intersection.......  But then again I'm not prone to go all mad if someone honks at me or yells something stupid.  As I'm the superior driver (and safest) to keep a cool head as it's my a$$ on the line out there.

BTW: I lived in Indianapolis, and you couldn't pay me to drive down town on a motorcycle!  Yikes!  Not to mention how DENSE the traffic is!

Stay safe,

Roadie
8)

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #12 - 08/21/04 at 05:53:13

Gitarzan -- Sorry to hear about your accident.  It sure does make me stop and think about driving defensively while on the motorcycle.  I am always scanning for potential dangers but am going to be even more vigilant.  Glad to hear you are o.k.

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Junkboy
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

New Mexico
Reply #13 - 08/21/04 at 22:04:27

OK. Bad habit fixed. Thanks for the wake up call on that one.

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #14 - 08/22/04 at 10:02:10

Quote:
FWIW, if you are a Jerry springer fan, I learned that the lady with the van had it given to her by The Jerry Springer Show. The episode reran just four days after I was hit!  

'Tarzan, it sounds like you have a case against both of them, more power to you. Wink

Quote:
In my MSF course (love the MSF course  ) they warned us not to use neutral at lights.

Yeah, I will generally agree w/ that, but it is not a one-size-fits-all situations rule (and it helps sell a lot more clutch springs & cables) However on your return to the city after riding and if you are not 1st in line, and everyone is stopped behind traffic for a known long light. It's OK to give your hands, your butt, your legs a quick rest and a little exercise. (Just don't turn off your radar) Save wear on the clutch, stand up off the seat, shift weight to both feet, get some blood to the fanny and/or wiggle the hands & fingers sometimes, to get a little more circulation going to whatever weary body part(s) need attention. Then always try to be back in gear as the cross-light is yellow. Then you feel ready to 'fight traffic' again. I’m talking about a little help for your body, not rider fatigue. Rider fatigue is something to be avoided. If you’re beat, stop and take a break.
I find traffic is something to be avoided at all costs, a Savage/40's 50/60 mpg allows you to route yourself to avoid as much of it as possible, even if it is much farther to use as many un-traveled/light traffic streets as you can! Find those streets w/o traffic and those irresponsible, speeding-while-cell-phone-talking idiots!! Someone once said, we should only be licensed for anything else, only after a year of being a licensed motorcycle rider.
I agree, and one thing you can't do is ride and talk on the cursed cell phone. Angry

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/15/24 at 00:12:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Hand injuries, extensive computer use, and riding

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.