IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Re: horses
Reply #1 - 08/12/04 at 17:08:10

Normally 31 horses, but ther ara reduced power Savages that have 27 horses.
Greetz

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #2 - 08/13/04 at 09:17:02

24.6 bhp @ 5000 rpm
30.5 lb/ft @ 3700 rpm

Clive W

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 08/14/04 at 04:18:12

I know one guy that has done a dyno run and has nursed 32-33 bhp out of his with merely a carb change.

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #4 - 08/14/04 at 08:44:05

I have read, no snorkel + Raask pipe(+jetting I presume)=32bhp.
This gave 0-62 in 5.94 (std 8.1)

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #5 - 08/14/04 at 08:51:54

The horspower + torque figures were on post 625 of the be savage site and were posted by Greg 650 in a former life, I'm into that kind of thing. Sad

Clive W

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 08/15/04 at 02:49:58

I installed the #160 main jet in the carb yesterday.  At this point I don't know the effect of this change, because I only had time for a short ride to the car wash (I got busy doing other little things to the bike).

I also adjusted the air/fuel screw and found that 2 full turns from the bottom made the engine idle at the highest and smoothest speed.

Since you asked about access to the main jet, here is a photo....it's pretty easy.

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #7 - 08/15/04 at 04:44:13

I think we have a misunderstanding, the info I needed was how accessible is the main AIR jet, not the main jet.
On the FCR it is external, you just need to remove the bellmouth (and all the bodywork!!).
Thanks in advance.
Clive W

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 08/15/04 at 05:02:54

Oops...and what's worse, is that it was early and I posted this photo in the wrong topic too  Tongue  Gee, now what do I do?

Anyway, there are 2 other jets...the pilot air jet and the pilot jet.  The pilot air jet is accessed under the diaphram, and the  pilot jet under the carb bowl.  At the recommendation of the dealer (that's scary, isn't it?) I changed the pilot jet once to a larger size...not good.  I still have that jet, if someone wants it  Tongue  I really think that I needed a smaller one like in the earlier Savages.

As for the pilot air jet, I pulled it out once, looked at it and put it back.  Do you have a suggestion?

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #9 - 08/15/04 at 08:32:02

My FCR has a slow fuel jet, a fuel screw (on the engine side of carb) and a slow air screw (not a jet) on the filter side, there is a table that show how many turns out = what jet size.
The needle is a ocems, again there is a table telling you what the letters mean, seams pretty good though.
Then there is the main/main air jets. This started at 165 main 200 main air (main air is next to the slow air screw), I am now at 168/192 both going richer (doing that with the main air on these carbs is a bit of a no no but seems to work).
The 168 works right across the rev range at full throtle and the 192 richens things at high revs and full throtle.
The standard carb is a keihin CVK40 much like Your mikuni BS40 I presume, I had a dynojet kit on that but the FCR was much better even before I changed the jets.

Clive W Cheesy

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #10 - 08/18/04 at 10:38:03

I looked at this last week, but just now got the entire photo.
There are several types of Mikuni main jets. I went to 4 closest dealers- Kawy, Yamaha, and Suzuki. The non-Suzuki deales said they could only guess at the jet, the dealer I bought the bike from was out of jets, and the new guy had the 150, not a 152. Anyway from the photo. looks like I got the right one- slotted round $1.75. thanks for the pic Greg.

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 08/19/04 at 02:44:37

Dealers are really ignorant sometimes....They should be able to order the jets from a catalog (as mine do).  The carb is a Mikuni BS40 and oly takes one type jet...round and slotted.  There are 2 size jets that fit too.  One has a smaller slotted head but the threads and the orifice are the same and it works too.

Glad that it worked out for you.

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #12 - 08/19/04 at 20:40:05

The kid @ the new Kawy place said why should we keep our money tied up in jets @$8/ea. If elt like askin yeah how many you want  @ 1/2 that price? I just left the punk there.

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #13 - 08/20/04 at 02:16:29

In the "old Days" a dealer kept bolts and stuff in boxes because customers actually did their own work on bikes.  "Way back when" I remember digging through boxes at a dealership to find a particular bolt just for what I needed.  It was kind of neat having that kind of relationship with a dealer.  It also inspired dealer loyalty.  Now they don't care.  It's all about the dollar.  Hell, I met a mechanic at my favorite dealership that said he didn't ride a bike.  Go figure.

People tend not to do that anymore, and the biggest reason is that most bikes (and cars) aren't built for tinkering these days.  You have to take it to someone....just take a look at crap like Orange County Choppers.  People don't take the on the project (most don't Shocked) of chopping their bike anymore.  They just buy it that way and then pose with it.

I'm done  Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/14/24 at 21:58:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › horses

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.