Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Sissy Bar Removal Question (Read 74 times)
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Sissy Bar Removal Question
07/31/04 at 13:39:34

Am looking for advice.  I have removed the pillion seat and would like to remove the sissy bar but don't want to take off the side pieces that are attached to the fender.  Would just like to take off the pad and the top part of the bars down to the rubber piece.

This leaves me with holes.  Does anyone know where I could buy a bar that would connect across or some sort of matching chrome plugs for the holes?  Or have you done something different?

Thanks, Susan

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Re: Sissy Bar Removal Question
Reply #1 - 07/31/04 at 18:39:31

Found this pic in the gallery section of this site.  Here's what I would really like but have no idea how to find the piece.

Any ideas?  Susan

P.S. Went for a long ride last night, this morning and going out with friends tomorrow morning.  Have to get the riding in too!

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Brad

Reply #2 - 07/31/04 at 19:36:16

You could use the side bars from the S40. Have no idea what they cost. Maybe too much for the effort. Maybe a custom shop would have a chrome bolt you could put in the holes.

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #3 - 07/31/04 at 23:01:04

Susan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Found this pic in the gallery section of this site.  Here's what I would really like but have no idea how to find the piece. Any ideas?  
Susan

He-he. Been there done that.  You're not gonna find it.  But it sure looks nice!!!

More pics of it: http://wb524292.bahnhofbredband.se/sida3.htm

The cold hard truth...
http://www.heise-workstations.de/ls650/Fragen/messages/29116.html

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Reply #4 - 07/31/04 at 23:09:48

This leaves me with holes.  Does anyone know where I could buy a bar that would connect across or some sort of matching chrome plugs for the holes?  Or have you done something different?

Thanks, Susan  

I was thinking of using these krommets: http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup.aspx?GID=1e35c3c0-ddc0-47f0-925f-1eab9ff...  (it follows an already established theme on my bike anyway!)

Or maybe these: http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup.aspx?GID=2ba3164d-eaa5-4ea5-8ace-517a0f5...

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 08/01/04 at 04:07:44

Found this pic in the gallery section of this site.  Here's what I would really like but have no idea how to find the piece.
Any ideas?  Susan

P.S. Went for a long ride last night, this morning and going out with friends tomorrow morning.  Have to get the riding in too!

IF you can get a 12-13 mm wrench into the sides of the sissy bar next to the fender you can remove them, but as I recall it is very cramped and you really need to loosen the fender rails to get them off.  If you are going to install the saddle bag supports (other post), you'll be half-way there while doing that job

Word of caution, loosening the fender rails is a great way to scratch the fender

PERSONALLY tho, I couldn't be without that back rest.  It is a support and a handy tie down place for bungie cords as I am always needing to throw something across the seat that won't fit in the saddle bags.

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #6 - 08/01/04 at 07:11:10

Gitarzan,  Thanks for saving me hours of work looking for the darn thing!  Oh boy am I sad though.  I love the look of it.  I did search the Heise site but didn't get your post -- I searched for pillion seat, rear seat, sissy bar but not pillion handle!

I will have to rethink my approach.  Maybe I will find someone to make me one over the winter.  I'd like to have the ability to swap in the original sissy bar so I'm not keen on cutting it down.   Whenever I figure it out (it may take a while), I'll let you know what I end up doing.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Susan

P.S. BTW, can you post on heise at the moment?  The last few days when I go there I can get into the page and read the posts but the link at the bottom of the page to post a new topic is gone...

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #7 - 08/01/04 at 07:17:05

Greg, Thanks for the advice on NOT scratching the fender.  We had already looked at how to loosen the rails as I need to replace a broken rear turn signal and understand what you mean.  We will be super careful.  Susan

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #8 - 08/01/04 at 08:36:36

It's My sissy strips I want to remove Cheesy

Clive W

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Reply #9 - 08/01/04 at 16:23:16

Susan,  Yep you're right about Heise...    Looks like it got bumped off.   The link still points to the bookmark, but the bookmark is gone.  You can respond to existing messages but not post new ones.  

My guess is that there are too many threads and the very old fashioned CGI script they use has a definate page length it can display.  I guess Bert will make a correction in a day or two.
========================================

Isn't that pillion handle nice looking?  Someone ought to make batch of those.  I'll bet they could sell 50 in no time.  I'd pay $50 for one without thing twice, more after I thought about it.  I'd bet they fly off of eBay for a while.  

I had been under the assumption that it was the pillion handle that was standard on euro market Savages.  Was I dissapointed.

In the meantime, I'm thinking about either:

1. finding some barstock and bending a simpler version and have it chromed or paint it black.

2. finding a sissybar from another bike that might be the same width at the top as the Savage's mount and saw it down to make a 2" bar.

3. Paint the sissybar and part or all of the chrome side bar glossy black.  Visually it would be de-emphasized.

4. Like you said, make one this winter.  A chunk of brass and a lot of filing might do me some good.

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #10 - 08/01/04 at 19:41:31

Gitarzan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Susan,  Yep you're right about Heise...    Looks like it got bumped off.

Glad I'm not the only one with a Heise issue...
========================================

Gitarzan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
4. Like you said, make one this winter.  A chunk of brass and a lot of filing might do me some good.

I lean toward #4 for sure.  A little hard work is good for the soul, right?   Wink  If I find someone to make me one, I will let you know.  And do let me know what you decide.  I'd love to see pics after it is done.

Susan

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #11 - 08/02/04 at 09:00:25

Grin Grin
There's a very nice guy on the Heise forum who can make you one. Problem is : he's living in Finnland Embarrassed
His nick is "Peter the Blacksmith" and to be honest : HE IS A BLACKSMITH!!!.
His e-mail adress is in/on the forum
Succes
Kropatchek

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #12 - 08/02/04 at 09:36:12

Still got 10mm to go with the sissy strips :'(

Clive W

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #13 - 08/02/04 at 10:20:06

klx650sm2002 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Still got 10mm to go with the sissy strips :'(

Clive W

What do you mean by "sissy strips"?  The chrome pieces on each side of the fender?  If that's what you mean and you are taking them off, where are you going to put the rear turn signals?

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #14 - 08/02/04 at 10:23:38

Kropatchek wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Grin Grin
There's a very nice guy on the Heise forum who can make you one. Problem is : he's living in Finnland Embarrassed
His nick is "Peter the Blacksmith" and to be honest : HE IS A BLACKSMITH!!!.
His e-mail adress is in/on the forum
Succes
Kropatchek

I've seen his posts.  He seems knowledgable and nice.  Has he built anything for you or anyone that you know?

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/01/24 at 05:49:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Sissy Bar Removal Question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!