Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Clymer Manual vs. Suzuki Manual? (Read 3 times)
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Clymer Manual vs. Suzuki Manual?
07/30/04 at 07:55:59

I have seen lots of references on this forum and others to the Clymer manual and only a few to the Suzuki manual.  I would like to buy one but don't know which one is best.  

Is Clymer much better?  Everyone seems to use it but I have also seen posts alluding to mistakes in the Clymer manual -- specifically about the amount of oil the bike takes, I think.

Also, should I care that both only list bikes though 2003 but my bike is a 2004?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Susan

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Clymer Manual vs. Suzuki Manual?
Reply #1 - 07/30/04 at 10:37:19

I can answer this one too.  I have the Suzuki manual.

The Suzuki manual is intended for motorcycle shop mechanics.  It is very complete with specifications for all years and comes in a nice binder with loose leaf pages that can be removed.

If you are a beginner at motorcycle mechanics and do not intend to tear down your transmission, get the Clymer.  It is more geared for you then.  It is cheaper too.

Don't worry about the '03 vs 04 thing either.  There were no changes.  My SSM was bought in 2000 and it covers my spouse's 2001 and the 2002, 2003, 2004.......

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #2 - 07/30/04 at 10:54:35

Thanks for the note, Greg.  I am a beginner but my husband has done some work on motorcycles and cars.  I don't mind extra detail but do want to be able to understand the manual.  

Are you saying the Suzuki manual might be technical and hard for a beginner/intermediate to follow or just that it has more detail than we might need?

Thanks again, Susan

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 07/30/04 at 11:09:20

Both.  The SSM takes you through complete disaasembly and assumes that you know how to put it back together ("assembly is just the reverse process").  It does not lead you by the hand, in case you think that you might need that (we all start there though).

I will be pulling my engine apart again this winter.....

IP Logged
AL_DOWN_UNDER
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/30/04 at 14:20:13

HEY SUZIE MY CLYMER IS TO SUIT 86 TO 88 . WHICH MAY BE BECAUSE THEY HAVE A 4 SPEED BOX. I ALSO HAVE A SUZUKI MANUAL AND AGREE WITH WHAT GREG SAYS. BUT IT TO HAS MISTAKES SUCH AS PAGES BACK TO FRONT OR JUMP A PAGE . Undecided

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 07/31/04 at 04:51:55

And I agree with what AL says too, except that I understand that the Clymer manual has been reprinted to include the later models now.  Need to check on Amazon.com.

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #6 - 07/31/04 at 16:44:30

The reprint of the Clymer WSM , which includes Savages up to 2003 has 2 drawings for the 5 speed gearbox and the wiring diagrams in color. That's all there is extra. Big deal. You are perfectly informed with the information you have. 8) Better invest in the Suzuki WSM up to 2004
Happy wrenching
Kropatchek

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 11/22/06 at 08:13:51

I have the Suzuki shop manual. It is a  paperback book with 7 holes. It also assumes I know where to put sealant & how to check tollerances as I replace things. I need a book that tell me where to add silicone & how to assemble like a mechanic. I can pretty well figure out where the parts go & in what order, but if I built an engine it would leak because I don't know all the placesthat need sealed & it wouldn't last long because I don't know what clearances are required where & how to get them.So you will know I have at least some experience messing with things,,
I have replaced the frame on 2 Ford pickups without any trouble. I repaired copiers & cash registers for 7 years. Is there a manual that will tell me the things I need? I would really like to feel secure enough to go through the engine. I want to keep this fun little, good running bike long enough to have to work inside th engine. Doing the valves is no biggeee after doing it a few times. I really don't want to spend the $$$ to pay someone else to do the fixing on it. I would rather spend the big $$$ on sending parts off to have them modified. I can see it bored out & the bore & piston treated. maybe get a cam & have it worked. Awww hekk yea! I will sure be needing some advice from a few of the forum resident geniuses.

IP Logged
Fido_the_Cat

" If you don't
ask, They can't say
no!"

Harrisburg PA
Reply #8 - 11/22/06 at 21:07:17

I purchased both the SSM and Clymer's manual when I got my bike. I have found differences in the approach and information in both. I like having both and the info on this site to get myself ready to work on the bike.
Here is where I learned about the misprint, rotating the crank for TDC is counterclockwise, same direction as it runs.
For info on setting up the decomp cable; one shows the play on the cable itself, the other is the plunger on the valve. Both have the same specs, but different places.
For those reasons I use the manuals, search this site, then start to tinker. I've had both success and not. I just have to keep trying.

Follow me into the twisties.... I'll wait for you on the other side.
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #9 - 11/23/06 at 13:53:21

The Clymer covers bikes up to the 2004 model. At 2005 they started the S-40 series. Will they update the clymer for the new bikes? Or has there been so little change that the 2004 manual is still spot on?

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 02:18:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clymer Manual vs. Suzuki Manual?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.