Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Bought a Boulevard S-40 (Read 76 times)
Jon

Bought a Boulevard S-40
07/29/04 at 21:27:50

Well, nobody answered up when I asked if anyone had ridden the new S-40, so I bought one today anyway.

Having previously owned a 4-speed '88 and 5-speed '96 LS650, the 05 model seems much the same.  The new bike has 'great ergos'.  The new bars and grip angle are very comfortable, as is the seat.  Suspension feels the same, as do ride and handling.  I cannot tell for sure if Zook improved gearbox because the bike is still so tight, but it seems to shift more precisely with less lever throw.  Going into 1st from neutral still clunks a little.

As expected, carburetion is lean in the primary circuit.  There is noticeable weakness in the low end of the rpm range, a slight surging when holding a steady 30mph, and multiple backfire occasionally on decel.  It still farts when you turn the key off.  

This one is black and Suzuki's web photos do not do justice to the sparkle and contrast between the bright work and paint.  darn fine piece of work.

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Re: Bought a Boulevard S-40
Reply #1 - 07/30/04 at 04:09:59

Please post some detail pictures of the differences.
Thanks
Kropatchek

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/30/04 at 08:51:08

Yes Jon. Congrats on your purchase. Would like to drive and see one and compair it to my 02 but will settle for suragate reports!  Wink

I guess its go the same old spacer and lean settings. Sounds like it. Time for you to gut that thing of its spacer and richen her up soon.

IP Logged
Junkboy
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

New Mexico
Reply #3 - 07/30/04 at 10:29:16

"adds a flat handlebar and new-style, one-piece seat for increased rider comfort and a streamlined look. "

from
http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcsuz/04_05_Lineup/

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #4 - 07/30/04 at 10:36:11

I like flat bars too  Cheesy

Clive W

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 07/30/04 at 10:46:19

Way to go...now we can all learn about the "Savage40".

This forum might need a name modification  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #6 - 07/30/04 at 14:47:50

How About the Suzuki Savaged Forum? Tongue

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
Jon

Reply #7 - 07/30/04 at 22:47:07

Removed the white spacer today.  Interestingly, it's exactly the same thickness as the one from my old '88.  Did not have time to uncap the airscrew, but lifting the needle may be enough because the backfiring is gone.

A note about the shim job.  Most of the info on the net about this just says "remove the white spacer".  When you get the slide piston out you will see that the needle is held in place with a small plate and two screws.  There is a tiny dimple on that plate that puts a little tilt in the needle by pushing against the white spacer.  This, I assume, is intended to help prevent needle flutter at mid to high revs.  If you just remove the white spacer and reassemble in reverse order with the dimple facing downward, the dimple will not be effective because it now rests against an e-clip.  A work-around is to replace the spacer with a single Radio Shack #4 washer.  I filed the edges a bit to reduce it's diameter to be the same as the spacer because it needs to seat into the hole in the piston.

I didn't pay much attention to the details of the LS650 over the last couple of years, but this S-40 includes a 4-way flasher setup.  It's activated on the right switch housing and works in both Park and Ignition modes.

Another surprise was finding the belt tensioner tool in the tool kit.  I recall shelling out close to $30 for this optional widget in the past.

Btw, it appears the seat utilizes the same two side attachment points as the Savage seat.  The only other retainer is a single screw back near the taillight.  Maybe the new seat will retro fit?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 07/31/04 at 04:22:50

Finally!  Someone has gone against the standard practice of just removing the white spacer.  I have suggested for a long time that people find a smaller replacement for the stock spacer to avoid just removing it.  The result of that practice is a slightly over rich bottom end.  The spring on the needle holds the needle up against the clip and a thinner spacer allows it to be repositioned higher, but not too high.  Now your backfires are gone and you aren't pumping out raw gas on a closed throttle decel.....all of which I learned because we have 2 Savages, and when I initially experimented with the spacer, I could actually smell gasoline when following my spouse as she slowed to a stop (and yes, I checked all the other stuff like floats and overflow tubes, too).  Changing the spacer ended the odor.

Do you still have the '88?  If you do, and have the time you will find out that the jet needle and the needle jet have different profiles (tapers).  In fact all of the internal jetting is different, and even the throttle plate is bigger...but "yes" there is still a spacer in there.  This means that if you change your exhaust, you may actually gain some better performance by swapping the entire carb on your Savage40 with that older one.

Now...the info about the seat IS really good news.  Not only is there a great stock retrofit for our older bikes, but the aftermarket world will follow this with more options too.  Our prayers may have been answered.  Let us know how the seat feels on a long ride.

IP Logged
Brad

Reply #9 - 07/31/04 at 06:08:57

Can the white spacer just be filed down to a smaller size?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 07/31/04 at 07:27:32

Sure, but I always hate to loose the "stock" parts.  You can do as he did and get a thinner washer or go and dig through small o-rings and washers in the plumbing section at a hardware store and keep the original.  Mine was about .050" where the stock is about .100"

IP Logged
Jon

Reply #11 - 07/31/04 at 11:56:54

-----------------------
Do you still have the '88?  If you do, and have the time you will find out that the jet needle and the needle jet have different profiles (tapers).  In fact all of the internal jetting is different, and even the throttle plate is bigger...
-----------------------

A dial caliper measured the spacers from the 88 and 96 at .112".  The 88 did indeed have a much different carb as verified in the Suz shop manual.  It also had a louder stock muffler with less back pressure.  So, when I did the shim mod on that older bike I machined an .055 spacer from aluminum.  It ran very well.

On the S-40, to help offset the too rich tendency on decel with the spacer removed, I'm going to leave the lean factory airscrew setting alone for a while.  With the backfiring AND surging now gone, it has good manners and is a pleasant ride.

FYI... the Radio Shack #4 washer is .024" thick, so they can be stacked as needed to fine tune the needle.  Just reduce their diameter a little with a file or sandpaper.  

---------------------
Let us know how the seat feels on a long ride.
---------------------

I'm gone for a butt test, more later.

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #12 - 07/31/04 at 16:59:35

As for retrofitting the S40 seat. There's even 2 ( one piece) gel seats Tongue available for the S40 that will fit our "old" Savages.
Check this out under Boulevard Accessorys

www.twowheelcorp.com

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Jon

Reply #13 - 07/31/04 at 19:20:33

Did 120 miles today.  As with the Savages, I think I'd add 1-inch of foam to the seat on the S-40.  Not because the seat needs it, though, it's nicely wide and flat and level, but to compensate for the choppy rear suspension.  On the relatively smooth interstate, the S-40's ride is quite adequate, but (like the LS650) you get beat up a little on backroads with rough pavement.  

The ride quality is influenced a lot by the bolt-upright seating.  Around town the posture is near perfect, but when carving twisties I found myself thinking about lowering the bars.  The S-40 does not have flat 'drag' bars, they angle back quite a bit.  Flat bars would move the grips forward a little and allow the rider's spine to incline forward of vertical, thus deflecting road shocks .  With the dogbone risers and factory shortened cable, wiring and hose, there are a lot of possibilities for personalizing the bars.  Some of the other Suzuki models have shorter risers, and it looks like the multitude of Harley risers would adapt to the S-40.  This 5'7" rider thinks the grips could be forward a couple of inches and down one inch while still having armchair ergos.  The stock bars can also tolerate being rotated down about 80 degrees so the angle-back would become angle-down like Cafe drops.  More fun in toyland tomorrow.

If anyone else buys an S-40, jump in and expand this thread with some feedback.

IP Logged
AL_DOWN_UNDER
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 07/31/04 at 21:49:19

AT LEAST YOU GUYS CAN BUY THE NEW SAVAGE . DOWN HERE IN AUS LAND THEY HAVE;NT BEEN IMPORTED SINCE 89 . AS WELL AS THE VS 750 AND THEN IN EARLY 90 THEY STOP BRINGING THE VS1400 INTO THE COUNTRY . THATS BECAUSE SUZUKI AUSTRALIA HAS ITS HEAD STUCK UP ITS BUT. AND CAN NOT SEE DAY LIGHT  Angry

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/02/24 at 16:09:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bought a Boulevard S-40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.