Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
help with removing tank (Read 19 times)
fzrspirit
Ex Member

help with removing tank
05/23/04 at 09:32:20

A friend of mine just bought a 98 savage and last night while we were out riding his clutch cable comes unlashed right at the lever and breaks. Right now the dilema (other than finding a cable quickly) is how to remove the tank.

After removing the two bolts which mount the tank to the frame under the seat I noticed the fuel tap/petcock blocks the tank from being removed. Do we have to remove the fuel tap first? How do I shut off the fuel tap, it doesn't have an OFF only a PRIme which means the gas will flow out no matter what position we put the tap on right?

Any other help hints for clutch cable removal?

IP Logged
LondonThing-co-uk
Ex Member

Re: help with removing tank
Reply #1 - 05/23/04 at 15:38:48

Well.... crimp the ends of the fuel hose with clamps. you have to pull the tank backwards a bit off the rubber mounts and slide sideways a bit to get the tap around the frame (may be a good idea to tape the frame up so in future it doesnt scratch and then rust). But incase your wondering, i have taken it off without removing tap many time Smiley hope that helps!

ChrisF.. Smiley

PS its fiddly with a full tank!

IP Logged
fzrspirit
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/23/04 at 19:33:13

OK thanks! I am glad to hear I don't have to remove the tap... I have to go to a shopping center and install the new clutch cable in the parking lot where the bike is located, so I don't want to look like I'm running a all day chop job.

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #3 - 05/24/04 at 04:28:05

CheesyHi! Removing the tank without removing the gascock has eluded me on the couple of occassions that I have tried to service my spark plug ... no matter how I tried or how much I cursed and swore, I could not get the darn tap to clear the frame ... so, I ended up taking the gascock off altogether (easy, only 2 bolts) and then the tank lifted off no problems!
Please post your experiences with the tank removal and clutch cable ... we'd be interested in reading any tips you might have. Good Luck!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
maria
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/27/04 at 20:07:41

i have never had any problems getting the tank off, simple unscrew the nuts jobs and pull of the fuel lead to the carb.

IP Logged
AL_DOWN_UNDER
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/28/04 at 00:33:08

IF MARIA CAN DO IT SURELY YOU GUYS CAN ;

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com