Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
belt noise (Read 28 times)
fevest
Ex Member

belt noise
05/22/04 at 17:08:58

HI,

My girlfriend just bought a used savage from a dealer.  It has a warranty.  My question is that the belt seems to make a lot of noise when you have the clutch in while you are shifting or while you let off the throttle and are slowing down.  
I took it back to the dealer and they did say it had a noise but didn't seem too concerned.  Of course I am sure they don't want to put any money into it either.
Shoud I be worried about this, should I insist they put a new belt on the bike.  Oh, the bike has 9700 miles on it.

thanks

IP Logged
AL_DOWN_UNDER
Ex Member

Re: belt noise
Reply #1 - 05/22/04 at 23:51:43

HEY FEVEST MY 86 HAS 52000 K ON IT AND THE BELT WAS ON IT WHEN I BOUGHT IT WHICH WAS ABOUT 18000 KS . THE BELT WILL MAKE SOME NOSE IF IT IS TO TIGHT ,THERE IS A SUZUKI TOOL WHICH YOU USE TO ADJUST THE BELT IT ONLY COST ME $30 AUS AND COMES IN HANDY. MY BELT ONLY NEEDS ADJUSTING TWICE A YEAR IT SEAMS TO NEED IT WHEN THE SEASON CHANGES AS IN SUMER TO WINTER . HOPE THIS HELPS
Wink

IP Logged
daharvey
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/24/04 at 14:00:08

YOU CAN ALSO TAKE A LITTLE SAND PAPER AND ROUGH UP ALONG THE SIDE. A DEALER IN RUSSELLVILLE TOLD ME ABOUT THIS. IT WORKED

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #3 - 05/24/04 at 14:13:16

Along with the belt tension check the alignment.  Roll Eyes

The belt sould be in the middle of the pulleys. Lubrication can be done with talcum powder, if required. Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #4 - 05/25/04 at 20:36:28

If the tool kit is still intact, there should be an adjustment tool in it.  It was provided by the factory.

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
fitzkid

Reply #5 - 06/14/04 at 05:52:46

If you don't have a tension gauge you can make a general assessment by twisting the belt.  You should be able to twist it easily to a 90 degree angle, then it should stop twisting easily.
Mine was making lots of noise recently.  The belt was out of alignment (running to the far outside) and was rubbing on the belt cover.  Adjusted the wheel to center the belt.  Also, having been on some dirt roads, sprayed some cleaner on it.  It is much better now!   Cheesy

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/20/24 at 05:32:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › belt noise

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.