Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Insurance (Read 252 times)
Mortation

Re: Insurance
Reply #15 - 03/24/09 at 06:43:38

I have State Farm for everything, the bike part of my policy is about $170/yr ($14/mo) full coverage.  I like knowing for $14 a month if anything happens to my bike its covered.

As for the other guys stuff about big wrecks = dead/don't worry.  Thats not accurate for all of us.  If I was in a big wreck dead or not they could still go after my wife for money.  So for those of us with families its important to have good coverage.

1988 LS650 - Candy Apple Red w/ Ghost Flames, Harley muffler, S40 seat, white spacer Mod, #55 pilot, #155 main.
  IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #16 - 03/24/09 at 11:26:15

BurnPgh wrote on 03/23/09 at 23:36:43:
if you did 100K worth of damage on a bike your probably dead. screw 'em.

I think it may be the state requirement for California.  But I have 2 bikes insured for my $120 a year.

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #17 - 03/24/09 at 11:56:28

I pay $276 per year for full coverage from State Farm in Ohio.  I think I have a $500 deductible but I can't swear to it.

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #18 - 03/25/09 at 05:35:09

Rustbucket wrote on 03/24/09 at 05:53:23:
...If you're Insurance shopping remember to tell them you took the MSF safety class and you can get 10% off....

The class has to be recent.  Recent is defined differently by different insurance companies.  I took the MSF exactly 20 years ago.  The 4 companies I checked with wouldn't honor it.  One IIRC said it had to be within the past year.  

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #19 - 03/25/09 at 05:52:27

You can easily do $100K damage to someone else.  It's called causing an accident where a car tries to evade you and smashes into others, or into a wall or light pole.

If you are too selfish to spend $100 a year to protect others from your possible negligence, with at least $100K of liability coverage, then maybe you ought not to be riding or driving.

Yeah, in such an accident you're probably a goner, but don't you care at all about the  harm you may cause to others?

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #20 - 03/25/09 at 06:35:10

Actually, I do not think of insurance as protecting others from my negligence. I think of insurance as protecting MYSELF from others who may claim I am negligent (whether or not I am actually negligent).

I have long felt the auto insurance industry is misguided. Yeah, I know they are in the business not for my benefit, but for their own and their stockholders. I think I should purchase a single liability policy which would cover me no matter what vehicle I drive, instead of having to purchase several policies - one for each vehicle. After all, I can only drive one at a time. Then I should be allowed to purchase, separately, such insurance for the vehicle itself (collision, comprehensive) as I should feel necessary. Nebraska requires purchase of uninsured/underinsured policies. I rather thought that was the purpose of collision insurance and medical coverage, so it seems to me the uninsured/underisured coverage is duplicative.

My brother lives in Florida. He tells me that, technically, he does not have to have insurance at all on his motorcycle, so he doesn't. I called my agent, in Nebraska, who told me that none of my policies cover me while riding his uninsured motorcycle. This, to me, is absurd. Given that what my brother says is true, what happens to him should he be involved in a (survivable)crash outside Florida?

I personally believe the auto insurance industry requires some review, even though in general I dislike additional Government regulation. Note that the lack of Government regulation is alleged to have led pretty directly to the present financial crisis.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
vhfkid

Thumpin' in ETEX

East Texas
Reply #21 - 03/25/09 at 06:52:39

I called around, for home, auto, bike. I was still saving with separate companies for all three- Go figure!

I went with esurance for the bikes, I got a better price by calling on the phone than over the internet. Got 100/300/50 with passenger coverage and 5k medical no uninsured coverage, and roadside assist is included.
Got credits for home owner, multi bike, MSC course (biggest credit), and transfer (new customer)
Total= 2 savages- $150/year

yeah the extra liability is a bit high for what we own, but I think it was only $7 more a year for 100/300.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #22 - 03/25/09 at 06:57:03

I don't carry insurance on my S40 only on my lc 1500 because I carry a passenger some times on it.  $100  a year for liability.I think its bike line.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Rustbucket

Reply #23 - 03/25/09 at 08:43:36

FYI.. Geico policy holders can add road service for $8.00 a year. It might come in handy if i get a flat or something. For 8 bucks why not.

IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #24 - 03/25/09 at 14:35:21

Rustbucket wrote on 03/25/09 at 08:43:36:
FYI.. Geico policy holders can add road service for $8.00 a year. It might come in handy if i get a flat or something. For 8 bucks why not.

Really?  Need to check into that one.

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/26/24 at 06:31:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Insurance