Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Re: Basic Rider Training
Reply #15 - 08/11/10 at 08:25:10

I took the MSF course after a 40 year layoff from riding.

I found it very helpful.  Sure, you aren't riding at highway speeds nor in traffic, but basic control techniques are just that - techniques.

Even though my course was on a Honda Rebel, so what?  A bike is a bike when it comes to the basics.

As for Bill's experience and not needing to go back to basics once in a while, when I was a chief check pilot for my wing years ago, I loved flying with some of the guys who thought they knew it all.  Give me 10 minutes with a big head like that and I'd have that large ego swimming in self doubt.

After doing that, I's usually go fly with a standardization instructor pilot just to refresh myself.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Buster

Motul 3000 10w40
Zinc 1407ppm

Oklahoma
Reply #16 - 04/22/12 at 17:25:14

Just finished (and passed) the training today and if you ride, this is probably the best investment you can make. I spent 90% of the ride portion trying to learn/relearn proper technique...and mainly realizing that safety training today is light-years beyond the safety training course I took 30 years ago.

2015 S40 (Pearl Moon Stone Gray)
OEM Pillow Seat - OEM Windshield

"Some may call this junk. Me, I call them treasures."
  IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #17 - 04/23/12 at 13:14:14

Buster wrote on 04/22/12 at 17:25:14:
Just finished (and passed) the training today and if you ride, this is probably the best investment you can make. I spent 90% of the ride portion trying to learn/relearn proper technique...and mainly realizing that safety training today is light-years beyond the safety training course I took 30 years ago.

I did mine last summer, and yes, it is the best thing for both a newbie or seasoned rider.  I'm thinking about taking the advanced class on "Lil Suzie" just to see what she (and I) are capable of. Smiley

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #18 - 04/23/12 at 13:17:40

If you can ride a bicycle you can ride a motorcycle.No course needed.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
scottnj

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

the 'Nati, OH
Reply #19 - 04/23/12 at 13:30:52

If you can ride a bicycle in traffic at 70 m.p.h then you can ride a motorcycle.  Smiley

I took the basic course and found it worthwhile, but probably not necessary for everyone.

2007 S40 (Supertrapp, 6" Ed. L forward controls, K&N, & some other stuff)
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #20 - 04/23/12 at 13:40:56

Bill and I disagree on most topics, this one included.  As I said in an earlier post, I took a 40 year hiatus from motorcycling.  During a good part of that time, I was an enthusiastic bicyclist, riding an average of 50 miles per week during suitable weather.

While there are some similarities, they really aren't all that many.  Few people get killed in bicycle accidents, or even hurt that badly.  It does happen, but not typically.

A good bicycle rider can cruise at maybe 20 mph, but more likely around 15 or so for an average, middle aged person.  Hit anything at that speed and it will hurt, but with a helmet, probably not kill you.

Hit that same thinhg at 50 mph or higher on a motorcycle, and all bets are off.

My bicycle weighs less that 20 pounds.  My S40 is considerably heavier - the control techniques for the two aren't the same.  Rider posture is very different.  Control in turns is much different, since you don't have engine power ( other than your legs ) being transferred to the rear wheel to increase to maintain dynamic stability.

For some reason, fewer cars hit bicycles.  Maybe its because of the colorful jerseys and helmets that most bicyclists wear, and the slower bicycle speeds allowing for more time for a driver to see the bike, as opposed to black jackets, black jeans, and black helmets seen on all too many motorcyclists, and the higher speeds of motorcycles.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Buster

Motul 3000 10w40
Zinc 1407ppm

Oklahoma
Reply #21 - 04/23/12 at 13:45:29

bill67 wrote on 04/23/12 at 13:17:40:

So, when you ask the guy on a bicycle what would he do when approaching a rain slick corner at 50mph with a truckers "road gator" blocking the path, and panic-stop braking causes front wheel to wobble or the back tire to skid...what do you do when he just says  Huh

About the same as saying: "If you can ride a three-legged donkey you can ride Secretariat. No horse training needed."

« Last Edit: 04/23/12 at 14:50:53 by Buster »  

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #22 - 04/23/12 at 14:13:23

That explains why klotz works for you bill.
How you hook up the pedals?
Front wheel like a big tricycle?

WWW   IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #23 - 04/23/12 at 14:55:28

Having ridden bicycle in downtown traffic, where you're required to ride in traffic and follow the rules of the road, I'd say a course for either could be helpful. Angry  Besides, if Bill is against it............... Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #24 - 04/23/12 at 15:10:01

When I had been away from riding for about 15 years, I took the BRC and found it very worthwhile.  I don't think they had them around in the mid 70's when I was learning to ride but they're a good deal now.  Also, some (not all) insurance companies offer discounts if you've successfully completed the BRC.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #25 - 04/24/12 at 06:40:23

Buster wrote on 04/23/12 at 13:45:29:

So, when you ask the guy on a bicycle what would he do when approaching a rain slick corner at 50mph with a truckers "road gator" blocking the path, and panic-stop braking causes front wheel to wobble or the back tire to skid...what do you do when he just says  Huh

About the same as saying: "If you can ride a three-legged donkey you can ride Secretariat. No horse training needed."

So what did your teach tell you to do in that rain slick situation.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Buster

Motul 3000 10w40
Zinc 1407ppm

Oklahoma
Reply #26 - 04/24/12 at 15:00:35

bill67 wrote on 04/24/12 at 06:40:23:
Buster wrote on 04/23/12 at 13:45:29:

So what did your teach tell you to do in that rain slick situation.

He told me at least 9 things to do in that situation. If you want to know, sign up for the training course and then you'll know too.  Smiley Besides, you didn't answer my question.

BTW, my instructor set 27 World Records during his racing days...and about 20 years later, 3 of those World Records are still unbroken.

« Last Edit: 04/24/12 at 17:46:10 by Buster »  

IP Logged
Retread

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 04/24/12 at 16:48:33

Way back in the day I was a instructor, this was when the AMA would offer the beginner course for free to whomever wanted it.. Here in Colorado they now cost over $100 and the state has only a few places that acutally test for M/C endorsement. I highly recomend the courses offered, including advanced courses, even just for brushing up on basic skills.. I put myself through the paces after finishing each bike I rebuild, because each bike has its own handling character, some are real characters.. Cheesy

Used to look like a Greek God, now I look like a darned Greek!
  IP Logged
martinfilms34

Teenagers ride
savages too!

Orlando, Florida
Reply #28 - 04/24/12 at 17:04:35

I think the main thing here is that there is no disadvantage to taking the course (riding wise). It'll teach you good skills and even if you already "knew" everything its always good to brush up.
Here in Florida its actually required to take the course in order to qualify for an endorsement.

IP Logged
Retread

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 04/24/12 at 17:18:03

I just don't approve of the cost, I believe the AMA should provide basic courses for nothing, it promotes motorcycling..

Used to look like a Greek God, now I look like a darned Greek!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 16:19:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Basic Rider Training

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.